Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-12, 11:22 AM   #1
User1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Bikes: From the oldest owned. 1967 Schwinn Tandem, Yeah foldie, Dahon Boardwalk D7, more
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any feedback on Raleigh CX bikes?

Hello all,

OK first of all I searched and looked at the first 6 pages of 40 pages for "Raleigh" in the title and found nothing in the Cyclocross forum in those first 6 pages. So anyone wants to chastise me can do so privately please.

So what's the feedback on Raleigh bikes? I thought these guys were dead and buried back in the what.... 80s? I just saw a Raleigh's bike on ebay that didn't look too bad. Item # 221101696280 and no I'm not the seller. I'm on the left side and he's(assumed) on the right.

Thanks for reading this and I welcome any and all responses regarding Raleigh CX bikes.
User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 12:47 PM   #2
theextremist04
Seņor Member
 
theextremist04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo, CO
Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like a decent bike to me.
theextremist04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 01:37 PM   #3
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,839
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
You might have differences with the product managers component picks ,
but the Raleigh frames are as good as any other.. at the same price level.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 03:37 PM   #4
Breathegood
Senior Member
 
Breathegood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I absolutely LOVE my Twin Six. It is the most comfortable and confidence inspiring bike I've ever been on. I've been riding it as though it was a mountain bike all summer. I think the geometrey is very similar to the RX. I've looked at the Furley, Roper, and RX in person and all are attractive bicycles, IMO. The bike you are looking at is not exactly a lightweight, but it is pretty much bulletproof and well equiped for recreation, novice racing, and commuting. The price is fair too. My Raleigh road bike is also a very nice bicycle. The reason I decided to go with the Twin Six for a CX build was because I've been so impressed with my road bike. I would happily put another Raleigh in my stable.
Breathegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 05:20 PM   #5
jibjab1978
Member
 
jibjab1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: West Linn, OR
Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R230, 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0, 2013 All-City Space Horse, 2009 Kona Kapu (RIP)
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have that exact bike. I like the bike a lot with a few caveats. The frame and fork are great. I just have issues with the brakes and want to switch over to more robust brakes like the TRP CX9 or the Shorty Ultimates. I did also switch out the wheels for a better, custom set of wheels. For the price, you can't beat the bike. I think I paid about $1000 for mine and I bought it used in not as good as shape as the one you are looking at. It's a really fun bike to ride and it handles pretty well. If you have specific questions about the bike, let me know.
jibjab1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:02 PM   #6
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibjab1978 View Post
I have that exact bike. I like the bike a lot with a few caveats. The frame and fork are great. I just have issues with the brakes and want to switch over to more robust brakes like the TRP CX9 or the Shorty Ultimates. I did also switch out the wheels for a better, custom set of wheels. For the price, you can't beat the bike. I think I paid about $1000 for mine and I bought it used in not as good as shape as the one you are looking at. It's a really fun bike to ride and it handles pretty well. If you have specific questions about the bike, let me know.
I just bought my wife a 2012 RX model. So far she loves it. It isn't going to see much off road use. It's surprisingly light even with the cheap wheels and Sora. I agree with above post that the frame and fork are a nice building block. I'm an old schooler so the only thing I don't care for is the BB30 BB. They are dumping it for 2013 though.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 11:30 AM   #7
rhammons
mook.
 
rhammons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Bikes: 2015 Ribble Sportive Racing, 2011 Raleigh RX 1.0, Gravity Zilla 29er
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by User1 View Post
Hello all,

OK first of all I searched and looked at the first 6 pages of 40 pages for "Raleigh" in the title and found nothing in the Cyclocross forum in those first 6 pages. So anyone wants to chastise me can do so privately please.

So what's the feedback on Raleigh bikes? I thought these guys were dead and buried back in the what.... 80s? I just saw a Raleigh's bike on ebay that didn't look too bad. Item # 221101696280 and no I'm not the seller. I'm on the left side and he's(assumed) on the right.

Thanks for reading this and I welcome any and all responses regarding Raleigh CX bikes.

I recently bought this exact same bike. I got an excellent new close-out price on it, and was lucky to find it in my size (50cm frame, I'm 5'7 with a 29" in-seam). I've not raced it yet, but have done a lot of cx practice on some light-weight technical trails, grass, and gravel and it's been a blast! I also took it on two decent length charity rides; the 344 mile acs pan ohio hope ride, and the pedal to the point MS 150 - it was more comfortable than my previous commuter and compared to what I'm used to, feather light. I was afraid the brakes would be rubbish, but they really aren't that bad once they're broken in.
rhammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 11:54 AM   #8
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Many of my teammates ride Raleigh bikes, whether it's one of their CX models or XC MTBs. We ride with/against the Hodala! crew, which is (AFAIK) Raleigh exclusive.
Raleigh has been rebuilding their brand with things like the Midsummer Night's CX; where the top prize is a 1 year racing contract with their pro team. (This year was the 2nd year for it.) Plus, at any of the Raleigh sponsored events (at least here in Seattle area) they have a stash of demo bikes you can sign out and race for free. Not just ride around the grounds; you can race it.
I haven't seen any complaints with the Raliegh equipment outside of one thing, and I think that might be an adjustment issue... A couple people I know have popped the belt off during a race while riding the SSCX belt-drive carbon frame. None were on particularly muddy courses, so I was really surprised to see it happen; but sure enough it was off, and they couldn't walk it back on. No idea how it happened.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 11:45 AM   #9
Breathegood
Senior Member
 
Breathegood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
Many of my teammates ride Raleigh bikes, whether it's one of their CX models or XC MTBs. We ride with/against the Hodala! crew, which is (AFAIK) Raleigh exclusive.
Raleigh has been rebuilding their brand with things like the Midsummer Night's CX; where the top prize is a 1 year racing contract with their pro team. (This year was the 2nd year for it.) Plus, at any of the Raleigh sponsored events (at least here in Seattle area) they have a stash of demo bikes you can sign out and race for free. Not just ride around the grounds; you can race it.
I haven't seen any complaints with the Raliegh equipment outside of one thing, and I think that might be an adjustment issue... A couple people I know have popped the belt off during a race while riding the SSCX belt-drive carbon frame. None were on particularly muddy courses, so I was really surprised to see it happen; but sure enough it was off, and they couldn't walk it back on. No idea how it happened.
That's interesting. I wonder if it was the pre-centertrack belt. On my bike with the centertrack belt drive, the belt would have to have some serious slack before I could pop it off. Granted, I'm running an IGH, so I doubt I put quite the torque load on the belt that a SS might. I supose you could torque flex a frame enough to allow the belt to pop off, but I suspect at that point the belt comming of would be the least of your problems. I'm guessing it would take a serious bump or chunk of debris to make the belt come off.
Breathegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 05:31 PM   #10
User1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Bikes: From the oldest owned. 1967 Schwinn Tandem, Yeah foldie, Dahon Boardwalk D7, more
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibjab1978 View Post
I have that exact bike. I like the bike a lot with a few caveats. The frame and fork are great. I just have issues with the brakes and want to switch over to more robust brakes like the TRP CX9 or the Shorty Ultimates. I did also switch out the wheels for a better, custom set of wheels. For the price, you can't beat the bike. I think I paid about $1000 for mine and I bought it used in not as good as shape as the one you are looking at. It's a really fun bike to ride and it handles pretty well. If you have specific questions about the bike, let me know.
Hello jib,

One of the things I first felt I'd like to do is take the rather weak graphics off it. I still do after looking at it for awhile. The components they put on it is not bad for the price point, I just think it would look cleaner with the graphics removed. How strong are they on there? Does it look like something that could be easily removed?
User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 05:36 PM   #11
User1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Bikes: From the oldest owned. 1967 Schwinn Tandem, Yeah foldie, Dahon Boardwalk D7, more
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhammons View Post
I recently bought this exact same bike. I got an excellent new close-out price on it, and was lucky to find it in my size (50cm frame, I'm 5'7 with a 29" in-seam).
Hello rhammons,

I've seen the price of around $1300. I haven't really looked that hard for prices yet. I'm still in my shopping mode. What was the price you got yours for, if you don't mind me asking?
User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 01:32 PM   #12
rhammons
mook.
 
rhammons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Bikes: 2015 Ribble Sportive Racing, 2011 Raleigh RX 1.0, Gravity Zilla 29er
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by User1 View Post
Hello rhammons,

I've seen the price of around $1300. I haven't really looked that hard for prices yet. I'm still in my shopping mode. What was the price you got yours for, if you don't mind me asking?

$1100 was the close-out rate I got from the LBS. Also, re: the paint/graphic question - it looks like its on there pretty good. It's got quite a baked on layer of clear coat over it I believe.
rhammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 04:51 PM   #13
jibjab1978
Member
 
jibjab1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: West Linn, OR
Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R230, 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0, 2013 All-City Space Horse, 2009 Kona Kapu (RIP)
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would think that the graphics would be pretty hard to remove. That being said, I am no graphics removing expert. They are much more robust than the graphics on my Lynskey bike.

Last edited by jibjab1978; 08-17-12 at 04:52 PM. Reason: content
jibjab1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 05:11 PM   #14
vincavinz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: 1984 Club Fuji, 1970 Schwinn Continetal, 90's Roadmaster ATB, 2003 Raliegh C40
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure Raleigh's graphics are under the clear-coat. The biggest upgrade I would see on this bike (or almost any Raleigh) is the wheels.
vincavinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 11:25 AM   #15
jibjab1978
Member
 
jibjab1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: West Linn, OR
Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R230, 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0, 2013 All-City Space Horse, 2009 Kona Kapu (RIP)
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The wheelset upgrade I did to the bike is Velocity Fusion rims laced to XTR hubs, 28 spoke 3 cross in the front and 32 spoke 3 cross in the back.
jibjab1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 11:30 PM   #16
User1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Bikes: From the oldest owned. 1967 Schwinn Tandem, Yeah foldie, Dahon Boardwalk D7, more
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well looks like the bike sold for $935 plus 60 shipping. The seller has got to be pretty happy. He must of gotten just about all his money back.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Raleighs. There not going to win any bling contests, but they do look like they've been put together with some thought. I like the direction they took and where they landed.

Thanks for everyone's help and I wish you the best.
User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 01:40 AM   #17
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
2013 Models

Raleigh has some very nice models coming for 2013. I saw an RX 1.0 and 2.0 last week.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/2013-ralei...lineu-unveiled
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 AM.