Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member JeffOYB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Williamston, MI "Wee-um-stun"
    My Bikes
    Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why not CX in the Spring? : ) Can't wait for next Fall/Winter!

    I'm already enjoying doing CX riding again on my local course now that the ice and snow are gone from around here in mid-Michigan. So why do I have to wait to race until late fall/winter? Heck, we already started our racing season here with Barry-Roubaix and then Lowell 50 -- both dirt road events. Why not just keep the CX style going awhile? Spring offers cold wet mud. What more do we need? Why do the road now? Wait til it's hotter and dusty... Spring is CX time...

    OK, maybe erosion is the reason why. ? Is it? Is that why MTB season comes in early autumn? I recall that it does. But I'm outta the loop. I just started liking this CX stuff last fall! Yeah, got the fever.
    Jeff Potter
    http://OutYourBackDoor.com
    for indie outdoor culture & DIY adventure
    bikes, boats, skis 'n' more ... 2000+ articles since 1994!

  2. #2
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tradition!

    Also, it's hard enough to find land managers willing to let you tear up their property in the fall.

    That said, I'd be ready to do a CX race this weekend if there were one.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get plenty of rain in the spring, maybe more than in the fall.

    I always wondered why CX is just a late fall-winter sport. I would rather ride in the spring in rain and decent temperatures than in the freezing winter.

  4. #4
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,101
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tradition!
    the Road Racers wanted to stay Fit for the next road racing season..

    Hour is short enough to keep from being Hypothermic,
    before jumping back into the car and turning the heater on.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,984
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Hour is short enough to keep from being Hypothermic,
    before jumping back into the car and turning the heater on.
    Very well put.

    Hey, why not have Christmas in summer? (Wait, they do that in Australia? Weirdos.)

  6. #6
    bf is my facebook. ljrichar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cause we're racing road & mtb's now. Give it a try. In fact, racing road will make you a much faster CX rider than just CX alone. Plus, 4 months of CX racing every weekend can burn a guy out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member JeffOYB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Williamston, MI "Wee-um-stun"
    My Bikes
    Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ljrichar View Post
    Cause we're racing road & mtb's now. Give it a try. In fact, racing road will make you a much faster CX rider than just CX alone. Plus, 4 months of CX racing every weekend can burn a guy out.
    Road schmoad... : ) I hear ya if you're racing a lot but when the weather is nasty I'd rather be riding on turf than pavement. There will be enough time for road. Like, all summer. But I'm outta the loop. I've heard that spring MTB can cause a buncha erosion. My CX doesn't eat up my personal trail so I've been liking it this spring, but I suppose CX tears things up, too -- maybe not for as many miles or on as big of trails. MTB seems big picture. CX seems condensed. I raced road a lot (decades) and am not into it so much these days -- the headwinds -- the hanging onto wheels by my toenails -- also I'm just not hanging as well with the roadies anymore but I seem to do fine in CX. I'm midpack in both sports. There's always someone better in road, CX or anywhere for anyone except the #1 -- but in road when you get shredded and dropped miles out it's harsher than with CX where you can just wave and sit up and catch em next time around. Road seems like harsh pain while CX seems like fun pain. : ) CX seems like breath of fresh air. But yer right: don't want to overdo it and spoil it. Still, I think I'd like a dose each spring as a friendlier wakeup than the harsh road. Well, it's a warm sunny evening tonight so I'll do an urban ride. Guess that's road...
    Jeff Potter
    http://OutYourBackDoor.com
    for indie outdoor culture & DIY adventure
    bikes, boats, skis 'n' more ... 2000+ articles since 1994!

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,101
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Jeff , get a year round race series going where you live , You Will Be The Promoter.

    The "Other Guy" is not going to do it for you. Grab the Bull By The drop bars..

    in the words of Joe Hill , "Don't Mourn, Organize" http://www.folkways.si.edu/dont-mour...um/smithsonian
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-29-13 at 03:11 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,984
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of what makes CX so great is that it's not year-round.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffOYB View Post
    Road schmoad... : ) I hear ya if you're racing a lot but when the weather is nasty I'd rather be riding on turf than pavement. There will be enough time for road. Like, all summer. But I'm outta the loop. I've heard that spring MTB can cause a buncha erosion. My CX doesn't eat up my personal trail so I've been liking it this spring, but I suppose CX tears things up, too -- maybe not for as many miles or on as big of trails. MTB seems big picture. CX seems condensed. I raced road a lot (decades) and am not into it so much these days -- the headwinds -- the hanging onto wheels by my toenails -- also I'm just not hanging as well with the roadies anymore but I seem to do fine in CX. I'm midpack in both sports. There's always someone better in road, CX or anywhere for anyone except the #1 -- but in road when you get shredded and dropped miles out it's harsher than with CX where you can just wave and sit up and catch em next time around. Road seems like harsh pain while CX seems like fun pain. : ) CX seems like breath of fresh air. But yer right: don't want to overdo it and spoil it. Still, I think I'd like a dose each spring as a friendlier wakeup than the harsh road. Well, it's a warm sunny evening tonight so I'll do an urban ride. Guess that's road...
    +1
    I'm fairly new to biking, and only doing 50-60 miles a week, road, and have not raced yet. I would like to try racing CX, and it sounds more fun than racing road to me.
    But it's only in the fall, when it can be extremely cold. A spring season for newbies to CX would be, well, welcoming. It's also tough for folks with other commitments (full time jobs and kids) to commit to racing every weekend during the short winter CX season. If there was a longer season I could actually make some races!

  11. #11
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short track MTB racing is a nice summer substitute if they do that in your area. You can even do it on a CX bike if you want a little extra challenge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •