Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    New England Tortoise BostonKate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin Mill Valley
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dreams of summer - help me choose a bike!

    Back story: I am about 60 pounds into losing half my body weight (estimated goal time, some time this late summer). I'm 5'8" and female, with long femurs and relatively short arms. I currently ride a Diamondback Response MTB which was (a) cheap when I didn't know if I'd like to ride, and (b) sold to me as the bike which would support my weight when I was pushing 280. (The shop owner had a No Fat Chix sticker on his truck, which I didn't know until later but explains a lot of the sales process.)

    Fast forward a while - I really like to ride. I want to ride more, but the Response has, shall we say, limitations. I want a bike that will let me do whatever I'm in the mood to do: commuting 15 miles each way on hills, some touring, the bike leg in sprint/Oly triathlons and yes, possibly even actual cyclocross races if I can find some nice muddy New England races where it's okay to be a beginner. Oh, also some fire road/not too technical singletrack unpaved riding. It seems like a 'cross bike is the best solution, what with the beefier frame to stand up to my weight plus the chameleonic ability to load it up for whatever.

    Am I on the right track here? If so, let's move to question 2 - what should I buy? I'm dithering between a Volpe and a Crosscheck, though a guy I know keeps saying "don't rule out a Novara Rivet just 'cause it's an REI house brand and an ugly color". The Bianchi is, well, a Bianchi, and it's celeste green! That's cool! But is an Italian 'cross bike too roadie in its soul for true all-purpose riding? OTOH, the Crosscheck has the urban attitude you need to ride in Boston, and I have a trustworthy local bike shop to help me build it up from the frame (Harris Cyclery, where the inimitable Sheldon Brown labors, though they also sell Bianchi). Guess I ought to throw the Poprad in there, too.

    Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
    Lost 15 pounds, bought a crappy mountain bike. Lost another 65, bought a Marin Mill Valley. 55 more to go - wonder what I'll buy next?

  2. #2
    wildjim
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonKate
    Back story: I am about 60 pounds into losing half my body weight (estimated goal time, some time this late summer). I'm 5'8" and female, with long femurs and relatively short arms. I currently ride a Diamondback Response MTB which was (a) cheap when I didn't know if I'd like to ride, and (b) sold to me as the bike which would support my weight when I was pushing 280. (The shop owner had a No Fat Chix sticker on his truck, which I didn't know until later but explains a lot of the sales process.)

    Fast forward a while - I really like to ride. I want to ride more, but the Response has, shall we say, limitations. I want a bike that will let me do whatever I'm in the mood to do: commuting 15 miles each way on hills, some touring, the bike leg in sprint/Oly triathlons and yes, possibly even actual cyclocross races if I can find some nice muddy New England races where it's okay to be a beginner. Oh, also some fire road/not too technical singletrack unpaved riding. It seems like a 'cross bike is the best solution, what with the beefier frame to stand up to my weight plus the chameleonic ability to load it up for whatever.

    Am I on the right track here? If so, let's move to question 2 - what should I buy? I'm dithering between a Volpe and a Crosscheck, though a guy I know keeps saying "don't rule out a Novara Rivet just 'cause it's an REI house brand and an ugly color". The Bianchi is, well, a Bianchi, and it's celeste green! That's cool! But is an Italian 'cross bike too roadie in its soul for true all-purpose riding? OTOH, the Crosscheck has the urban attitude you need to ride in Boston, and I have a trustworthy local bike shop to help me build it up from the frame (Harris Cyclery, where the inimitable Sheldon Brown labors, though they also sell Bianchi). Guess I ought to throw the Poprad in there, too.

    Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
    I have been looking for a Cyclocross bicycle also and the Kona Jake The Snake is my pick at this time. The reviews usually describe it as amazing for all tasks including racing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    A few more than my fair share.
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are on the right track. Cross bikes, particularly the more versatile, non-high-end-racing ones you've mentioned, are perfect for what you've described. They are good transition bikes for those accustomed to riding mountain bikes, and they can do most anything.

    That said, buy the one that fits you the best. They all have different dimensions, both tube lengths and angles. The best way to figure fit out is to ride them. Only you can really tell, although a good bike seller can help out a lot. Sounds like you have the good bike seller part under control. Almost every bike manufacturer has fans on these forums, and you will likely get a full range of opinions and suggestions. I have a Surly and a Bianchi (neither are cross bikes) and I love them both. But go with the bike with the best fit. It will make achieving your fitness and cycling goals that much easier.

    Another to keep in mind is that as you get more involved in cycling, you may end up wanting bikes dedicated to your specific cycling interests. It happens to the best of us. In my experience, once you make the leap from one bike to two, the third, fourth, and fifth come quite easily. Its a very slippery slope.

  4. #4
    Senior Member AlanK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA (United States)
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jake the snake is a nice ride, but it's more of a racing set-up. I'd go with the 'Jake'. Same frame as JTS, but it's configured more as a general purpose rig (triple chain ring, etc.). Another great choice is the Surly Cross-Check. Solid Chromoly frame, decent components at a reasonable price. The retail is around $900, but you can usually find them on-line (ebay) for about $650-700.

    I have a 2002 Trek XO-1 I really love, but unfortunately the current model is set up more as a racer.

  5. #5
    Retired Member ultra-g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Queens New York
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Giant OCR Touring, since you want a touring bike.

    I checked out the Rivet website and watched their little video on the bike, it's nice, aluminum too like the Giant touring.

    If you want more comfort, go with the Bianchi Volpe or Brava (which is cheaper than the Volpe), which are steel.

    What's your budget??

    Cannondale has CX and Touring models too for around $1200.00
    I Changed My User Name!

  6. #6
    Senior Member AlanK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA (United States)
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd only get a full-fledge (loaded) touring rig if you plan on doing actual touring. Touring bikes are too slow and slow-witted for general usage.

    As far as touring bikes by major companies, the Trek 520 is the best. Solid cromo frame, bar-ends, etc. Very durable ride. Think it's around $1200 now.

  7. #7
    In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    2,722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed Up North

    But go with the bike with the best fit. It will make achieving your fitness and cycling goals that much easier.
    What he said--a good fitting bike is more important than any other single factor! Enjoy your ride!
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

  8. #8
    New England Tortoise BostonKate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin Mill Valley
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a date with myself at the bike shop this week to try out the Volpe and the CrossCheck, plus the Poprad. My budget's somewhere in the $1K range, +/- a couple hundred bucks (been working a lot of overtime lately for this particular purchase), so I'd rather get an $850 bike and dude it up than a $1200 bike and live with components I wouldn't have chosen were I building it up myself.

    Thanks for your help!
    Lost 15 pounds, bought a crappy mountain bike. Lost another 65, bought a Marin Mill Valley. 55 more to go - wonder what I'll buy next?

  9. #9
    human velocipedio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    living in the moment
    My Bikes
    2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    3,563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know the surly fans are going to hate me for this... but if you plan to race, also look at some of the lighter bikes. the kona jake the snake is a great all-arounder. i is a bit racier than some of the more touring-oriented bikes, but it certainly isn'y as racy as a full-on road bike.

    have fun bike shopping. don't go alone... and if you do, leave your wallet in the car. give yourself time to think before you put the money down.
    when walking, just walk. when sitting, just sit. when riding, just ride. above all, don't wobble.

    The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
    Cycling irregularly since 2002

  10. #10
    Senior Member AlanK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA (United States)
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipedio
    i know the surly fans are going to hate me for this... but if you plan to race, also look at some of the lighter bikes. the kona jake the snake is a great all-arounder. i is a bit racier than some of the more touring-oriented bikes, but it certainly isn'y as racy as a full-on road bike.
    Agreed. The cross-check is definetely a little heavy for competitive racing. JTS is a nice all-around bike, but I'd like to have a triple chainring on a general purpose rig.

  11. #11
    New England Tortoise BostonKate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin Mill Valley
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, if I decide I adore racing (fully possible - I grew up in western Oregon and love to run in the mud), I will probably talk myself into a more race-specific bike for 'cross and casual tri. I'm pushing 40 with marginal knees - unlikely I'll ever be seriously competitive except in my mind. Sadly, my commute is hilly and potholed enough that I do want a triple and a heavier frame for my daily ride.
    Lost 15 pounds, bought a crappy mountain bike. Lost another 65, bought a Marin Mill Valley. 55 more to go - wonder what I'll buy next?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For an already built-up bike, for the $ it's hard to beat the Volpe, unless you spy the Novara Randonee during one of REI's really serious sales. And the Volpe has a stock triple. I view the next step up from these would be a Soma double-cross frame with Mirage ergos, Mirage RD, and mostly XT or 105 for the remainder, but that is a project.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •