Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-13, 06:57 AM   #1
Samanta
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Samanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Spain
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is what I need ?

Hi guys ! I'm Samanta ( 24 ) from spain, I could not find active cyclocross forums in my language, so i arrived here.

Previously I practiced road cycling, and now I would like to buy a cyclocross bike, to have more options in forest tracks or road.

Maybe later I could compete in a cyclocross race or road race in amateur category.

I've been watching bikes for months, and these are the ones I liked

I have a budget around 1000

Specialized Tricross : http://www.specialized.com/es/es/bik...cross/tricross

Trek Crossrip Comp : http://www.trekbikes.com/es/es/bikes...crossrip_comp/

Giant Anyroad1 : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/es-es/...1/15817/68397/

What would you recommend me

Thanks for watching and sorry for my bad english
Samanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 11:08 AM   #2
Trekathlete
Senior Member
 
Trekathlete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500, 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro, 2011 Cervelo P2
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd suggest going to the local bike shop and seeing each bicycle. From what you describe I think you might be better suited by saving a little more money for a more expensive bike and getting a trek Crockett 5, or something equivalent. I'm not sure what the price comparison is to Euro but here in the states the crockett sales for $1600 at my local bike shop. But after looking at the trek website for you country it looks as though they only offer the disc brake version of the crockett 5. Which is a bummer because if you wanted the bike for road racing too you'd probably need to have rim brakes of some sort rather than disc because of the rules. I'd talk with your local bike shop and if they are good, they will help you decide on what you need most.

The bikes you have listed are good do everything bikes but they aren't good for racing too much because of their added weight. They are however excellent for most other things. So if racing isn't your priority they will do fine. I'd go for the trek of the specialized but I still suggest you go look at them in person if you can to get a better feel for the bike.
Trekathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 11:37 AM   #3
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,909
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Belgian based Ridley is worth a Mention, they have a range of Race Cross bikes http://www.ridley-bikes.com/es/es/
Say a http://www.ridley-bikes.com/us/en/bi...x-bow-10-1405a

or How about Orbea , they are a Basque-Spanish company. http://www.orbea.com/es-es/
i went to english USA version .
http://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/terra-s30-usa/
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 01:57 PM   #4
Kopsis
Senior Member
 
Kopsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Pete, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekathlete View Post
The bikes you have listed are good do everything bikes but they aren't good for racing too much because of their added weight.
I don't know anything about road racing, but for Cyclocross, the extra weight won't be much of a handicap in the amateur categories. The geometry of the adventure/gravel-grinder/touring/whatever-you-call-them bikes like the Tricross and Crossrip will be more limiting on the CX course than the weight. These bikes tend to have very relaxed geometry, low bottom-brackets, and a long wheelbase. Those things make them very stable, which is nice for off-road endurance riding, but can become a handicap in the tight technical sections of a Cross race.

If your racing goal is to go out and have fun and improve your fitness and bike handling skills, then you can certainly race any of the bikes you have listed. If your goal is to become a competitive Cross racer, then the other posters have listed some better choices, but you'll have a harder time staying within your budget.
Kopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 01:07 AM   #5
Samanta
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Samanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Spain
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Belgian based Ridley is worth a Mention, they have a range of Race Cross bikes http://www.ridley-bikes.com/es/es/
Say a http://www.ridley-bikes.com/us/en/bi...x-bow-10-1405a

or How about Orbea , they are a Basque-Spanish company. http://www.orbea.com/es-es/
i went to english USA version .
http://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/terra-s30-usa/
Orbea not sell cyclocross model in Spain, about ridley currently are not nearby shops selling it. I saw this stevens model '' Stevens Nemur ''

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2014/inde...=ES&lang=es_ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopsis View Post
I don't know anything about road racing, but for Cyclocross, the extra weight won't be much of a handicap in the amateur categories. The geometry of the adventure/gravel-grinder/touring/whatever-you-call-them bikes like the Tricross and Crossrip will be more limiting on the CX course than the weight. These bikes tend to have very relaxed geometry, low bottom-brackets, and a long wheelbase. Those things make them very stable, which is nice for off-road endurance riding, but can become a handicap in the tight technical sections of a Cross race.

If your racing goal is to go out and have fun and improve your fitness and bike handling skills, then you can certainly race any of the bikes you have listed. If your goal is to become a competitive Cross racer, then the other posters have listed some better choices, but you'll have a harder time staying within your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekathlete View Post
I'd suggest going to the local bike shop and seeing each bicycle. From what you describe I think you might be better suited by saving a little more money for a more expensive bike and getting a trek Crockett 5, or something equivalent. I'm not sure what the price comparison is to Euro but here in the states the crockett sales for $1600 at my local bike shop. But after looking at the trek website for you country it looks as though they only offer the disc brake version of the crockett 5. Which is a bummer because if you wanted the bike for road racing too you'd probably need to have rim brakes of some sort rather than disc because of the rules. I'd talk with your local bike shop and if they are good, they will help you decide on what you need most.

The bikes you have listed are good do everything bikes but they aren't good for racing too much because of their added weight. They are however excellent for most other things. So if racing isn't your priority they will do fine. I'd go for the trek of the specialized but I still suggest you go look at them in person if you can to get a better feel for the bike.
Racing isn't my priority, my intention is to get fun on road, traks and very easy trails, near my town sometimes do non professionals or elite cyclocross races only for normal people.

I have not been seeing the same models sold worldwide and in Spain for example orbea terra or trek crokket not exist
Samanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 07:10 AM   #6
Kopsis
Senior Member
 
Kopsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Pete, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanta View Post
Orbea not sell cyclocross model in Spain, about ridley currently are not nearby shops selling it. I saw this stevens model '' Stevens Nemur ''

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2014/inde...=ES&lang=es_ES

Racing isn't my priority, my intention is to get fun on road, traks and very easy trails, near my town sometimes do non professionals or elite cyclocross races only for normal people.
Based on the specs, I'd say the Stevens is a little more race oriented than bikes like the Crossrip or Tricross. The geometry is comparable to other entry-level CX bikes, but I've never seen one in person.

For what you are describing the most important thing is to find a bike that fits well (that can be more challenging for women) and doesn't stretch your budget (since you may also need to get mountain bike shoes and pedals and possibly a more road-oriented set of tires if you plan to do a significant amount of riding on pavement). With a good fit and proper gear, I can pretty much guarantee that you will have a lot of fun on any of the bikes you've looked at
Kopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 09:13 AM   #7
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,909
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Seems a days travel north, to France , Or even Belgium, NL , is reasonable for a resident of the Iberian Peninsula .
on the train system


Is certainly easier to cope with than a transcontinental, trans atlantic flight..

there was a Stevens rider atop the podium in the world championship,women's, elite category,
not many years ago.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 PM.