Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cheap Wheelsets?

    My current bike has a pair of cheap Alex R500 rims with 700x30 tires on it. I don't think these rims can handle much more and I want the flexibility to go to 700x32-38 with my bike. Has anyone had any experience with this wheelset? I can't find anything near it in price, especially with tires and tubes.


    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=2346
    Last edited by aquateen; 11-06-13 at 12:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Hogosha Sekai RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
    Posts
    6,366
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am familiar with that thread. I asked about this wheelset

    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=2346



    Whoops, no I didn't! Forgot the link

  4. #4
    Hogosha Sekai RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
    Posts
    6,366
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquateen View Post
    I am familiar with that thread. I asked about this wheelset

    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=2346



    Whoops, no I didn't! Forgot the link
    ahahahha see I was reading your reply and thinking to myself... I answered what he asked wtf is he smoking?
    Just scroll down to width considerations, it'll show you relative tire sizes to rim sizes as in what works best.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    9,362
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap? buy several sets , have a spare in the pits .

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    ahahahha see I was reading your reply and thinking to myself... I answered what he asked wtf is he smoking?
    Just scroll down to width considerations, it'll show you relative tire sizes to rim sizes as in what works best.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

    yeah i can't fit a 38 on my current rims, which is why i was thinking about the wheelset from bikesisland. the rims themselves have fairly good reviews. just wondering if anyone else had experience with them.

  7. #7
    Hogosha Sekai RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
    Posts
    6,366
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquateen View Post
    yeah i can't fit a 38 on my current rims, which is why i was thinking about the wheelset from bikesisland. the rims themselves have fairly good reviews. just wondering if anyone else had experience with them.
    No experience with said wheelset, but the specs match the sweetspot for the sizes mentioned.
    28 32 35 37 40
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •