Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Soma Double Cross vs. Surly Straggler

    I don't know anyone that has the Straggler yet, but I was looking at it to replace my Salsa Vaya. I also am looking at the Soma Double-Cross and would love to hear from those who have the 2X, but also those that have been looking at the Straggler.

    I do not plan on racing cross. I commute to work (light load 15 miles RT) - need fenders, recreationally ride (15-30 miles regularly), do many S24Os (60-80 mile RT), and some longer touring (want to do the C&O and GAP, and SOMEDAY cross the country : ), but I travel with fairly light weight. I'm looking for a disc specific bike so I can transfer my lovely Mavic rims and BB7s. I'm looking for a comfortable bike that I can ride for many hours.

    The Soma 2X Disc has a note about maximum tire width being 38mm w/o fenders. They said there was an error at the factory and until they sell those on hand they are keeping the number narrower than usual. However, if you look at the Double-Cross DC is says 38mm w/ fenders is fine. I run 35 mm Schwalbe Surpremes, and occasionally 40s on my Vaya.

    I really like the Vaya and am simply looking for a straight top tube bike (almost 1st world issue I know). I'd like to have mid-fork eyelets, but that is not a deal breaker.
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Auzeville-Tolosane, Midi-Pyrénées
    My Bikes
    Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At ~$350 the DC DC is a good value. I have a disc Redline with 130mm spacing and have built three 130mm disc rear wheels over the past three years. Each of my rear wheels is worth more than the Soma frame!!

    I only bought the Soma because it had 132.5mm rear spacing (since there are hardly any other frames on the market with 130mm spacing and disc tabs) and could accommodate my 130mm disc wheels.

    It isn't a tank, but it's not very light either. It's a good, solid rain/snow/commuter bike for me. It's got dual eyelets in the rear and I run fenders and 35s. I'll never take the fenders off since that's the whole point of the bike for me. It's actually the only bike with fenders that I have.

    I bought it last summer (2012) and the Straggler wasn't even on the horizon then. Although I've passively looked at it (Straggler), for my purposes the DC DC will do what I need until it's dead. 132.5mm spacing and eyelets made this bike golden for me. (Literally, as it's the "Old Gold" color.)

    The welds are a bit Chong Fooey to me, but it's a solid bike. With fenders and racks it would serve as a great rando or touring steed.

    You can find bare framesets (sans fork) for well under $400 all over the web. This way you can find the mid-eyelet fork on eBay. If you have a parts bin and can build a bike with what you already have (or just swap your Vaya gear) then that would be the way to go.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBing View Post
    At ~$350 the DC DC is a good value. I have a disc Redline with 130mm spacing and have built three 130mm disc rear wheels over the past three years. Each of my rear wheels is worth more than the Soma frame!!

    I only bought the Soma because it had 132.5mm rear spacing (since there are hardly any other frames on the market with 130mm spacing and disc tabs) and could accommodate my 130mm disc wheels.

    It isn't a tank, but it's not very light either. It's a good, solid rain/snow/commuter bike for me. It's got dual eyelets in the rear and I run fenders and 35s. I'll never take the fenders off since that's the whole point of the bike for me. It's actually the only bike with fenders that I have.

    I bought it last summer (2012) and the Straggler wasn't even on the horizon then. Although I've passively looked at it (Straggler), for my purposes the DC DC will do what I need until it's dead. 132.5mm spacing and eyelets made this bike golden for me. (Literally, as it's the "Old Gold" color.)

    The welds are a bit Chong Fooey to me, but it's a solid bike. With fenders and racks it would serve as a great rando or touring steed.

    You can find bare framesets (sans fork) for well under $400 all over the web. This way you can find the mid-eyelet fork on eBay. If you have a parts bin and can build a bike with what you already have (or just swap your Vaya gear) then that would be the way to go.
    Thanks Tommybing. I need to get in touch with Soma about the frame issue. I'd prefer the straight DC Disc - I like the color and don't need the brake braze on parts for the rear brake. If push came to shove I'd go with the DC DC and powder coat the black frame another color.

    How do you like the way it rides? Can you fill me in a little, even relative to other bikes you have or had. Just trying to get san idea. I do need to compare the Vaya geometry though and that will give me some idea.

    BTW - just checked Craigslist and found a decent 58 DC (non-disc) for $400 in Gainesville FLA. Decent price for sure.

    Is the top tube level? Seems like the smaller sizes are sloped and larger look level.
    Last edited by Ridefreemc; 11-08-13 at 05:30 PM.
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Auzeville-Tolosane, Midi-Pyrénées
    My Bikes
    Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's "pretty" level, that is, the specs are 555mm top tube level, 545mm top tube actual. That's for the 52cm frame I ride, I'm 5' 9" with very short legs for my height, I wear jeans with a 30 inch inseam. Standover height is the highest of any bike I own, the specs say 30.5 inches, but I feel it's definitely higher with the knobby 35s I'm running. If it were 2mm higher I would have to angle the bike at a stop light, as it is now it puts slight pressure against my chamois. Standover on the 58cm will easily be 33 inches if you've got any tread. I just checked the specs (32.6 inches for the 58cm) but if the 52cm is any indication, I'd easily add a half inch.

    I'm coming from a freestyle, trials, BMX background, but all I have are carbon super-Fred machines, and I wanted a steel, rigid, flat bar bike with hydraulic brakes to ride hard without worry. So taking big drops, hopping curbs, hard-brake fakies, modest jumps, etc. The closest thing to it is my Bianchi Imola, also steel, which has drop bars but I can be very rough with it. Seat tube angle is super comfy and I'm super upright with the MTB bars on it. I ran it as a disc single speed with drop bars and a tensioner, which was fun, but with flat bars and full hydraulic brakes (which also lets me pull into or out of fakies super easy) and gearing it's a very competent all-weather urban bike. And in addition, my non-serious rider wife who's much taller than me (at 5' 11" with a 33 inch inseam) fits it well and is very comfortable on it. Obviously the flat bars and altered geometry resulting have an impact on that.

    I would really check out the specs first, and if you're 6' 0" and ride a 58cm road bike, don't just think this is a plug and play fit with the DC DC. Check out that CL ad and take it for a spin.

    So, yeah, more upright, more durable, less nimble than a CroMo Bianchi Imola. And compared to my carbon Redline it's like the difference between a Ford F-150 and a Maserati. You can't tour America in comfort in a Maserati, though!! But for me, any comparisons are a bit difficult since I've got it set-up with the flat bars and MTB hydraulics. I also run it as a 1 x 9. All those factors make it very much unlike all the other cross and road bikes in the garage.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^Man, you seem to get a lot outta your bikes! I can barely ride in a straight line

    Thanks.
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Auzeville-Tolosane, Midi-Pyrénées
    My Bikes
    Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridefreemc View Post
    ^^Man, you seem to get a lot outta your bikes! I can barely ride in a straight line

    Thanks.

    Ah, brother, when I was fifteen I was pretty boss.

    But that was many years ago, and now I'm just singing like the Boss, "Glory Days..."

    By the way, with the Soma fork you can fit a 42mm tire (well, at least you can fit a Continental Country Plus, which is the only one I've tried), but that same tire will just BARELY rub in the back. I know they say 38 is the limit, but 40 should definitely fit (w/o fenders) if it's a legitimate 40mm tire.

    I have Clement X'Plors (35s) on mine with fenders and that's more than sufficient for the riding I do, which is mostly pavement, but enough gravel, grass, and dirt on a daily basis to make them pretty standard.

    For a sub $400 frame, it's a very adequate all-rounder. BTW, mine is cheaper than the ones you're looking at, but also, remember that the canti bosses are removable on the DC DC, so you don't have the pointless bosses sticking out while you're running a disc set-up.
    Last edited by TommyBing; 11-08-13 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spllelling

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBing View Post
    Ah, brother, when I was fifteen I was pretty boss.

    But that was many years ago, and now I'm just singing like the Boss, "Glory Days..."

    By the way, with the Soma fork you can fit a 42mm tire (well, at least you can fit a Continental Country Plus, which is the only one I've tried), but that same tire will just BARELY rub in the back. I know they say 38 is the limit, but 40 should definitely fit (w/o fenders) if it's a legitimate 40mm tire.

    I have Clement X'Plors (35s) on mine with fenders and that's more than sufficient for the riding I do, which is mostly pavement, but enough gravel, grass, and dirt on a daily basis to make them pretty standard.

    For a sub $400 frame, it's a very adequate all-rounder. BTW, mine is cheaper than the ones you're looking at, but also, remember that the canti bosses are removable on the DC DC, so you don't have the pointless bosses sticking out while you're running a disc set-up.
    I want to ride with 35s and fenders. I have squeezed 40s and fenders under my Vaya, but tight.

    So when you remove the bosses you just have the holes left (that I'd put a button headed bolt in)?

    I still have to get with Soma to find out about that note on the max. 38mm w/o fenders on this model.
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Auzeville-Tolosane, Midi-Pyrénées
    My Bikes
    Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could put .45 shell casings on the bosses with putty to look really Gulf Coast Gangster.

    Otherwise, like you said, the boss mounts are pierced and threaded within the seat stays, so a trip to Ace Hardware will give you a bunch of solutions.

    DON'T lose one of the removable bosses. DON'T. Soma charges $24.95 for a pack of two, non-separable. Which makes sense, since cantilever posts should make up 15% of a frame's value. (Right...)

    I have never tried to run 38s and fenders on mine. But just by looking at it, it "looks" like 38s should be okay. Definitely up front with the Soma fork. And as long as the treads aren't too gnarly, the back should be okay, too.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Ridefreemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBing View Post
    You could put .45 shell casings on the bosses with putty to look really Gulf Coast Gangster.

    Otherwise, like you said, the boss mounts are pierced and threaded within the seat stays, so a trip to Ace Hardware will give you a bunch of solutions.

    DON'T lose one of the removable bosses. DON'T. Soma charges $24.95 for a pack of two, non-separable. Which makes sense, since cantilever posts should make up 15% of a frame's value. (Right...)

    I have never tried to run 38s and fenders on mine. But just by looking at it, it "looks" like 38s should be okay. Definitely up front with the Soma fork. And as long as the treads aren't too gnarly, the back should be okay, too.
    Yes at that rate if you had to piece the bike back together it would cost $20K!

    So if you have the DC DC and the DC Disc what is the diff? Just the removable canti bosses (and color)?

    Here is the statement about tire clearance from their website (from the Double Cross Disc): "Tire Clearance: The 2013 Double Cross Disc has slightly less tire clearance than the traditional Double Cross. This was due to an error in manufacturing. It still has amble room for most CX tires, but it won't fit 38c with fenders. This will be fixed in subsequent runs, but until we are sure all of the old stock is sold out, we will be advertising the more conservative figure of "38c w/o fenders"
    On the move!
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2012 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Auzeville-Tolosane, Midi-Pyrénées
    My Bikes
    Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the new bike has "neo-traditional" 135mm rear spacing, and no accommodation for cantilevers.

    And the old bike definitely can fit 38s and fenders, perhaps it could even fit 40s and fenders.

  11. #11
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to hold out for this.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/sf-bike-expo...hts-and-photos
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  12. #12
    Senior Member slowride454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Canfield Yelli Screamy, GT Karakoram SS, Specialized Roubaix, Soma Double Cross
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Some Double Cross. I use it for all of the same purposes you need. I am using the standard (HEAVY) steel fork without the mid mounts though. The ride is fantastic with Panaracer UrbanMax 35s. I built it up with mostly SRAM Force components and BB7 discs. The rear uses an X9 RD and mountain cassette. I love the bike and put tons of miles on it. More than my Roubaix or MTB by far.

    I do not have any experience with the Surly, but I do with a Vaya. I was shopping for one and rode a couple when I came across the Soma. The ride is nearly as plush and way more responsive. If it wasn't for the weight of the bike and accessories, I think I'd be able to keep up with racy bikes in twisty sections.



    I've since added a Selle Anatomica Titanico X saddle and am switching to Velo Orange hammered fenders. Before adding the fenders, rack and saddle the bike weighed just under 19 pounds.



    Here are some pics to show tire clearance.





    and to show the clearance with a standard double crankset

    Specialized Roubaix - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - GT Karakoram SS - Soma Double Cross Disc

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Norwester, Surly Crosscheck, Surly Ogre
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Straggler! The dropouts look a bit scary though.

  14. #14
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,176
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You expect people to own both? how else can anyone make a comparison?


    Buy both then sell the one You don't like..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 12-23-13 at 11:46 PM.

  15. #15
    Sprinter linus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen both of them and thought the finish looked so so on both of them. Instead, I would recommend All-city Machoman Disc. Gorgeous finish and great design.

  16. #16
    Señor Member 4Rings6Stars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    Lots of em.
    Posts
    1,690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have 6 cross bikes, so owning both would not be that strange around these parts...

    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    You expect people to own both? how else can anyone make a comparison?


    I can't comment on the 2013 Soma, but I have a 2009 DC DC and love it. I use it for all of the things you mentioned, but primarily commuting. I have done some semi-loaded weekend touring (~200 miles with gear on the back) and it has performed very well. I like it much better than the Crosscheck and Long Haul Trucker. I have never liked any of the Surlys I have tried, they have all felt very "dead" to me. Similar to the gaspipe 10 speeds I rode when I first got into cycling...

    Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 12-23-13 at 09:08 PM.
    Independent Fabrication Planet X-DeSalvo Monstercross Disc-Soma DC Disc-Wicked Fat Chance
    Bill Boston Tandem-Centurion Cinelli-Raleigh Sports-WTB Phoenix ti-Hampsten Crema

  17. #17
    degeared
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on your intended usage (no racing), seems to be the Straggler has the better geo on paper. Lower BB, longer CS. I would get the Straggler personally, due to the better tire clearance and being able to go singlespeed, if desired. Just seems more versatile. Not taking away anything from the Soma. If you were to race, I think the clear choice would be the DC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •