Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62
  1. #51
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    If you're so unfamiliar with the reality of what roadie culture is like that you think it's composed of conformists and groupthinkers, you can eff right off. For someone so keen to come down on roadies as bunch of cold meanies who are predisposed toward sexism and homophobia you haven't gone to a whole hell of a lot of trouble to actually understand what roadie culture actually is. Because then you would have to engage with reality instead if your ridiculous construction, but that would be tough for you, wouldn't it, seeing as reality is a actually kind of complex. I think you would be surprised to find that roadie culture actually composed of people, with a wide range of political views and social skills.
    OK, I'll go slow here since we're obviously working in the special needs classroom today. First, we were talking about one person's experience with one group of riders. Based on that, I made the provisional conclusion that the group that mdadams1 rode with were the kind of people to exclude "outsiders" based on superficial differences. Thus my remark to mdadams1 that I would ride with him, etc., was specifically about *that* group. At no point did I indict Roadie Culture™ as a whole

    Second, that you took such offense at that remark suggests you were willing to read whatever you wanted into my comment as long as it gave you an excuse to vent against a non-existent threat to your precious tribal loyalty. I'll leave the specific anger-management issues to you and your court-appointed psychologist, but at no point there did I make any generalizations about all Roadie Culture™ being about groupthink or whatever. However, since we are on the subject, I would venture a guess that Roadie Culture™ is as prone to groupthink as the surrounding culture, which is to say plenty, but that it is not exceptionally so. It's just the way people are in general. For you to believe that a group of people sufficiently large as "The Roadies" is so significantly more enlightened than any other comparable selection of people in society (church-goers, Coke-drinkers, Honda owners, stamp collectors, etc.) that they wouldn't exhibit the same characteristics that plague group dynamics in general stretches credibility to its limit.

    Third, I never said that Roadie Culture™ was racist, etc. Again, a case of you wanting to take offense and looking for any way to twist someone else's words to make that happen. Congratulations, your reality-distortion field is calibrated correctly and set to 11. The comment I was responding to was

    "Well, there's just a certain amount of cultural cohesiveness that any small group sharing a specific interest will tend to anticipate. And exceptions can seem very strange."

    I was making the point that this kind of reaction is akin to what happens in people who are racist, homophobic, etc. In other words, discrimination based on superficial differences is the common thread. It doesn't mean that roadies are racists. In fact, the person making the comment I was replying to was making a general comment about "any small group sharing a specific interest". How come you didn't start ranting about how I just called "any small group sharing a specific interest" a bunch of racists? Because you can't be bothered to read. Since subtext is clearly beyond you (really, still working on reading comprehension), my point is that I don't see much virtue in "cultural cohesiveness" coming at the expense of inclusiveness. You may disagree, and I would respect that, but instead you ran in and shouted "YOU'RE DISPARAGING ROADIE CULTURE™!!! EFF OFF!!!"

  2. #52
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    If you knew anything about roadies you'd know there's very little thinking involved, group or otherwise.
    Lol. Now that's a group I can feel at home in!

  3. #53
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,383
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actual Cyclo-cross they can drop you over an over again every couple laps, for them, for 45 minutes ..

  4. #54
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,174
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
    The comment I was responding to was

    "Well, there's just a certain amount of cultural cohesiveness that any small group sharing a specific interest will tend to anticipate. And exceptions can seem very strange."

    I was making the point that this kind of reaction is akin to what happens in people who are racist, homophobic, etc. In other words, discrimination based on superficial differences is the common thread. It doesn't mean that roadies are racists. In fact, the person making the comment I was replying to was making a general comment about "any small group sharing a specific interest". How come you didn't start ranting about how I just called "any small group sharing a specific interest" a bunch of racists? Because you can't be bothered to read. Since subtext is clearly beyond you (really, still working on reading comprehension), my point is that I don't see much virtue in "cultural cohesiveness" coming at the expense of inclusiveness. You may disagree, and I would respect that, but instead you ran in and shouted "YOU'RE DISPARAGING ROADIE CULTURE™!!! EFF OFF!!!"
    The person making the comment and the person you are currently replying to in my quoted post are the same person. So, you are basically telling them that they were reading their own comment out of context. You are assuming that you know what they were saying better than they themselves knew what they were saying.

    Honestly, your entire rant comes off a bit:

    23641-04042013-2259-custom-dog-tag-000.jpg

  5. #55
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    The person making the comment and the person you are currently replying to in my quoted post are the same person.
    So it is. Lol. At any rate, I don't think it diminishes my point much, because...

    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    So, you are basically telling them that they were reading their own comment out of context. You are assuming that you know what they were saying better than they themselves knew what they were saying.
    I think grolby knew what grolby was saying. But I don't think grolby knew what it really meant. I was pointing out that it's kind of a blind spot to give in to psychological discomfort at people who "ain't like me". It's a retrograde, decidedly less-civilized way to behave. It may be generally innocuous when it's just some mild social exclusion, but it is not much different than how truly ugly discrimination perpetuates. The fact that it was grolby both originally and in hostile reply just reinforces the point that in general, people feel privileged to exclude others who don't meet superficial expectations.

    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Honestly, your entire rant comes off a bit:

    23641-04042013-2259-custom-dog-tag-000.jpg
    Well now you've given me a new Avatar. I do prefer a nice cold cider over a glass of wine however.

  6. #56
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,174
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
    Well now you've given me a new Avatar. I do prefer a nice cold cider over a glass of wine however.
    Glad I could help. It really does fit!

  7. #57
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Glad I could help. It really does fit!
    I raise my glass in toast to you! Huzzah!

  8. #58
    Senior Member Jiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in TX
    My Bikes
    CAAD 9
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you need to be invited to ride with them? It's a public road. If they can't drop you, that's their problem.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,552
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's a public road, and nothing would stop someone from riding in the general area or along the same route. However joining a peloton or close order group requires an invitation. People have a right to know who they're riding with, and I wouldn't join into a group any more than I'd slip my car into a funeral precession.

    It's not about rights, it's about common courtesy.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  10. #60
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggle View Post
    Why do you need to be invited to ride with them? It's a public road. If they can't drop you, that's their problem.
    Why would you want to be that guy?
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  11. #61
    Senior Member Jiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in TX
    My Bikes
    CAAD 9
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    Why would you want to be that guy?
    Obviously, because its fun. Also, if you run away with your tail between your legs every time someone says they don't like you, you'll never be around long enough for them to change their mind.

  12. #62
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pompertuzat, France
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is anyone responding to a troll post?

    A 60 year old photography instructor-***-unicylcist-***-30-year-runner in a skateboard helmet (!?!?) with his "me just as fast as you" caveman diatribe clearly is just looking to incite passions.

    Hey troller, you have an iPhone, so... Show us on Strava or it didn't happen, dude.


    *** is Kum with a C, which is appropriate in context, and has existed in spoken and written Latin, Old French, and Modern French for over 3000 years. Sadly, language dies on BF. Only cynicism, arm sleeve tats, and ear plugs survive on BF.
    Last edited by KlingOn; 02-03-14 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Authoritarian & Draconian Posting Rules

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •