Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-cyclocross-gravelbiking/)
-   -   Dirt Road riding mega-thread! (http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-cyclocross-gravelbiking/933852-dirt-road-riding-mega-thread.html)

Niloc 02-12-14 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 16489986)
Just because cyclocross bikes are one kind of bike that can be ridden on dirt roads, it is not cyclocross.

Bingo again!

Ghost Ryder 02-12-14 09:17 PM

Up here we call them trails or what the call MUP's...
Dirt covered with gravel, we don't drive on them very often other than if you're visiting a farm.
Road @ their worst are asphalt/chipseal.
I've taken one of my Allez with skinny little 23mm on dirt paths/trail, its not fun(on the body), but I used to MTB so some of those skill transfer over nicely. Do I consider this GGing?
Not in my eyes.

During most CX races, theres a small part of the track thats paved...
Is it a road race?
;)

Niloc 02-12-14 09:34 PM

G.R. I'd say cyclocross racing is closer to cross country mountain biking than anything else. More off-road than road. Flattish singletrack, mud, and grass seem to predominate. Lots of twisties. Hence the high bottom bracket, fairly low gearing, knobby tires, and canti brakes. How a good mountain bike from the late 80s was equipped, but on more of a road frame. I just took my CX bike out with my kids mountain biking at a park and it was a blast - they're only able to ride the milder "green circle" type trails and my cross bike was perfect for that. I wouldn't have dreamt of taking my road bike in there because... it wasn't road riding!

Road racing or even touring has drafting, pacelines, pelotons, team strategy etc, none of which apply to cyclocross.

LesterOfPuppets 02-12-14 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder (Post 16491584)
Up here we call them trails or what the call MUP's...
Dirt covered with gravel, we don't drive on them very often other than if you're visiting a farm.
Road @ their worst are asphalt/chipseal.
I've taken one of my Allez with skinny little 23mm on dirt paths/trail, its not fun(on the body

I'll never forget driving from Whistler to Penticton in 1993 we would up on 9 miles of gravel that was considered a highway.

Ghost Ryder 02-12-14 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niloc (Post 16491629)
G.R. I'd say cyclocross racing is closer to cross country mountain biking than anything else. More off-road than road. Flattish singletrack, mud, and grass seem to predominate. Lots of twisties. Hence the high bottom bracket, fairly low gearing, knobby tires, and canti brakes. How a good mountain bike from the late 80s was equipped, but on more of a road frame. I just took my CX bike out with my kids mountain biking at a park and it was a blast - they're only able to ride the milder "green circle" type trails and my cross bike was perfect for that. I wouldn't have dreamt of taking my road bike in there because... it wasn't road riding!

Road racing or even touring has drafting, pacelines, pelotons, team strategy etc, none of which apply to cyclocross.

I was joking with the last statment in my post. :lol:

Ghost Ryder 02-12-14 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 16491635)
I'll never forget driving from Whistler to Penticton in 1993 we would up on 9 miles of gravel that was considered a highway.

You're right, it was not quiet developed back then.
Lots of fire roads, the newer Sea to Sky HWY & Cohcahalla HWY have come a long way since then.
Most of the recent upgrade were done for our Olympics in 2010.

Again I was mostly joking in that post.
:lol:


My reason for saying this thread belongs here is that the OP asked about suitable tires for GG.
Many here would have great suggestions, & I'm pretty sure I've seen a few threads asking the same thing.

justin1138 02-13-14 02:49 PM

road riding can definitely equal gravel riding, at least in portland right now...

jsigone 02-13-14 06:52 PM

schwalbe sammy slick 35c work for the mixed paved/dirt riding I do (socal doesn't have much gravel that isn't private, more sand n rocks then anything...it is a desert)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/...5f065eff_z.jpg
up up and away....err more ups by jsig1, on Flickr

http://a.l.yimg.com/so/7453/11676824...5d98dec9_z.jpg
Singletracks to end Rapha Festive500 challenge by jsig1, on Flickr

http://a.l.yimg.com/so/7377/12508458...a383aebf_z.jpg
crossin Hodges by jsig1, on Flickr

Ghost Ryder 02-13-14 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16494082)
schwalbe sammy slick 35c work for the mixed paved/dirt riding I do (socal doesn't have much gravel that isn't private, more sand n rocks then anything...it is a desert)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/...5f065eff_z.jpg
up up and away....err more ups by jsig1, on Flickr

http://a.l.yimg.com/so/7453/11676824...5d98dec9_z.jpg
Singletracks to end Rapha Festive500 challenge by jsig1, on Flickr

http://a.l.yimg.com/so/7377/12508458...a383aebf_z.jpg
crossin Hodges by jsig1, on Flickr

Nice pics!
I'd say the conditions I ride are more like that too.
Not sure if I could call it GG, but it mos def not CX.
I just classify it as off road riding.
;)

jsigone 02-13-14 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder (Post 16494238)
Nice pics!
I'd say the conditions I ride are more like that too.
Not sure if I could call it GG, but it mos def not CX.
I just classify it as off road riding.
;)


Thanks to the Rapha Gents Race few months ago, I got hooked on offoading my roadie, buying the disc CX makes this purpose style rides more enjoyable and doesn't beat up my supersix. & Both faster then my 29er on pavement. The Rapha race had an offroading 33mile/6ft vertical grain section in the century. I did it on 25c tubeless tires, my team was on 25c hardshell gatorskins. It was a epic day in the hills outside of downtown LA. On that section was everything from softball size rocks to high(er) speed hard pack leading into deep sand. The East coast and Oregon guys were hit the hardest as they were used to gravel...not desert sand:innocent:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/...a8958ed7_z.jpg
G0102351e by jsig1, on Flickr

https://ycpi-farm6.staticflickr.com/...1c7d3ffb_z.jpg
G0242434e by jsig1, on Flickr

LesterOfPuppets 02-13-14 08:47 PM

Killer pics, jsigone!

pdxtex 02-13-14 08:59 PM

^^hey nice pics. but is that a road, or a...well what else is it? OP here. hey 3 pages long on a contentious topic, rocks (the mineral kind, not acdc kind)!! and moved to dusty, cross type pastures. but hey, we can all get along. im glad there is love for dusty roads regardless of vehicle used. keep it up!

Ghost Ryder 02-13-14 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16494290)
Thanks to the Rapha Gents Race few months ago, I got hooked on offoading my roadie, buying the disc CX makes this purpose style rides more enjoyable and doesn't beat up my supersix. & Both faster then my 29er on pavement. The Rapha race had an offroading 33mile/6ft vertical grain section in the century. I did it on 25c tubeless tires, my team was on 25c hardshell gatorskins. It was a epic day in the hills outside of downtown LA. On that section was everything from softball size rocks to high(er) speed hard pack leading into deep sand. The East coast and Oregon guys were hit the hardest as they were used to gravel...not desert sand:innocent:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/...a8958ed7_z.jpg
G0102351e by jsig1, on Flickr

https://ycpi-farm6.staticflickr.com/...1c7d3ffb_z.jpg
G0242434e by jsig1, on Flickr

That looks like a great time!
I've relegated my commuter/CXer with disc to GGing too.
Its better than messing with my Pit bike, or Race rig to go GGing.

jsigone 02-14-14 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxtex (Post 16494406)
^^hey nice pics. but is that a road, or a...well what else is it? OP here. hey 3 pages long on a contentious topic, rocks (the mineral kind, not acdc kind)!! and moved to dusty, cross type pastures. but hey, we can all get along. im glad there is love for dusty roads regardless of vehicle used. keep it up!

Yah 3 pages in of bs from the 41then get moved here so I threw in some pics to change the pace of this thread

pdxtex 02-14-14 09:12 PM

ok, so can we take a VOTE on the all around best type of tires to use for riding on a normal dirt road with potholes and rocks in dry conditions? im inclined to believe very wide, commuter oriented tires with a smoother center tread and slight knobbies may be the best. ive been using actual lightweight cross tires but one wrong turn and id probably cut the sidewall....vote!!

BluesDawg 02-15-14 08:29 AM

I have had good results with Conti Contact 37mm tires on my Salsa Casseroll, Clement MSO 40s on my Crux and Specialized Renegade 1.8s on my Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross. The Contacts are best if there are many miles of pavement while the MSOs and Renegades handle sand and mud better.

Barrettscv 02-15-14 10:45 AM

More roadies in many parts of the country are adding a Cyclocross bike (or some drop-bar bike that has room for larger tires) for gravel and winter riding. Why? On-road, the bike can be equipped with fenders for wet weather and can hold larger tires for soft or soggy surfaces.

Often, the appeal for this style of cycling goes beyond the alternative status to become a preferred form of riding. The ability to ride in places that are remote, where vehicles are scarce, and where a bike handling and maintenance skills matter.

A narrow definition of "Gravel Grinder" is a organized or independent planned ride that is primarily on a gravel road. These rides might include some pavement or trails, but most of the ride is double track and not at all technical. Cyclocross and Touring bikes are popular. Salsa has just introduced a "Gravel Grinder" bike model, see: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear...ce-bike-37582/

A popular site that provides a list of Gravel Grinder events is: http://gravelgrindernews.com/?post_type=tribe_events

Here are some threads that follow the Gravel theme;

C&V: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=Gravel ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=Gravel ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=Cino

Cyclocross Forum: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Gravel-Grinder ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...bottom-bracket ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ders-out-there

Endurance: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...gravel-century ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=Gravel

To add the retro aesthetic philosophy while enjoying the the go-anywhere freedom of a slightly wider tire, I added this Italian recently.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps424e59f1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps5e9a7ba4.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...pse1d95ae4.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps05331eed.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...psdd4310dc.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps493f5950.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...pse54d051a.jpg

This is my 2012 Pedal Force CX2 with 700x32 Vittoria Hyper tires and a 30 speed drivetain;

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l.../IMG_09601.jpg

This is the 2010 Origin 8 CX700. I'll use 700x50 Schwalbe Supreme, 700x47 Schwalbe Smart Sam, 700x35 Schwalbe Winters and other tires. 27 speed Deore drivetrain with a 48, 36 & 22 chainring set.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...700snow001.jpg

And my 2008ish Soma Double Cross with 700x40 Vittoria Hyper tires and a 30 speed drivetain.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l.../IMG_09141.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 02-15-14 10:58 AM

WTB All Terrain 32s are nice for cheep bastages like me.

Pendergast 02-15-14 01:24 PM

The Hybrid forum seems like it would be a good place for gravel/dirt road riding threads to me. Maybe change the forum title to Hybrid/Gravel Bikes?

Myosmith 02-15-14 08:16 PM

I respectfully disagree, the Hybrid forum is a no better fit than the Cyclocross forum. Gravel grinding is what would happen if Long Distance Competition/Endurance Cycling and Cyclocross had a kid. Elements of both combined into a cycling sport that is at the same time very new, evolving and as old as cycling itself. I reiterate, it deserves its own sub-forum.

Pendergast 02-15-14 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myosmith (Post 16499352)
I respectfully disagree, the Hybrid forum is a no better fit than the Cyclocross forum. Gravel grinding is what would happen if Long Distance Competition/Endurance Cycling and Cyclocross had a kid. Elements of both combined into a cycling sport that is at the same time very new, evolving and as old as cycling itself. I reiterate, it deserves its own sub-forum.

You're probably right. It does deserve its own sub-forum. I wasn't giving enough consideration to the competition aspect of gravel riding. Racing doesn't really seem like a good fit for the hybrid forum.

Ghost Ryder 02-15-14 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myosmith (Post 16499352)
I respectfully disagree, the Hybrid forum is a no better fit than the Cyclocross forum. Gravel grinding is what would happen if Long Distance Competition/Endurance Cycling and Cyclocross had a kid. Elements of both combined into a cycling sport that is at the same time very new, evolving and as old as cycling itself. I reiterate, it deserves its own sub-forum.

+1!
Well said!

cs1 02-16-14 05:41 AM

I really like your bike. Almost makes me want to ditch steel.

shelbyfv 02-16-14 06:41 AM

Why not rename this sub forum "Cyclocross/Gravel" since actual cyclocross racing has been moved elsewhere?

Barrettscv 02-16-14 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 16499936)
Why not rename this sub forum "Cyclocross/Gravel" since actual cyclocross racing has been moved elsewhere?

This suggestion has the most merit.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 AM.