Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 82
  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Just because cyclocross bikes are one kind of bike that can be ridden on dirt roads, it is not cyclocross.
    Bingo again!

  2. #52
    Ghost Ryding 24/7 Ghost Ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada/604
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.
    Posts
    2,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up here we call them trails or what the call MUP's...
    Dirt covered with gravel, we don't drive on them very often other than if you're visiting a farm.
    Road @ their worst are asphalt/chipseal.
    I've taken one of my Allez with skinny little 23mm on dirt paths/trail, its not fun(on the body), but I used to MTB so some of those skill transfer over nicely. Do I consider this GGing?
    Not in my eyes.

    During most CX races, theres a small part of the track thats paved...
    Is it a road race?
    Giant Defy Dura Ace : Rip/Hammer-Specialized Allez Ultegra/105 : Recovery/Spinner-Specialized Allez Red : Trainer-Kona Major(Rad) Jake : Down & Dirty

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G.R. I'd say cyclocross racing is closer to cross country mountain biking than anything else. More off-road than road. Flattish singletrack, mud, and grass seem to predominate. Lots of twisties. Hence the high bottom bracket, fairly low gearing, knobby tires, and canti brakes. How a good mountain bike from the late 80s was equipped, but on more of a road frame. I just took my CX bike out with my kids mountain biking at a park and it was a blast - they're only able to ride the milder "green circle" type trails and my cross bike was perfect for that. I wouldn't have dreamt of taking my road bike in there because... it wasn't road riding!

    Road racing or even touring has drafting, pacelines, pelotons, team strategy etc, none of which apply to cyclocross.

  4. #54
    Senior Member LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    19,539
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder View Post
    Up here we call them trails or what the call MUP's...
    Dirt covered with gravel, we don't drive on them very often other than if you're visiting a farm.
    Road @ their worst are asphalt/chipseal.
    I've taken one of my Allez with skinny little 23mm on dirt paths/trail, its not fun(on the body
    I'll never forget driving from Whistler to Penticton in 1993 we would up on 9 miles of gravel that was considered a highway.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  5. #55
    Ghost Ryding 24/7 Ghost Ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada/604
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.
    Posts
    2,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    G.R. I'd say cyclocross racing is closer to cross country mountain biking than anything else. More off-road than road. Flattish singletrack, mud, and grass seem to predominate. Lots of twisties. Hence the high bottom bracket, fairly low gearing, knobby tires, and canti brakes. How a good mountain bike from the late 80s was equipped, but on more of a road frame. I just took my CX bike out with my kids mountain biking at a park and it was a blast - they're only able to ride the milder "green circle" type trails and my cross bike was perfect for that. I wouldn't have dreamt of taking my road bike in there because... it wasn't road riding!

    Road racing or even touring has drafting, pacelines, pelotons, team strategy etc, none of which apply to cyclocross.
    I was joking with the last statment in my post.
    Giant Defy Dura Ace : Rip/Hammer-Specialized Allez Ultegra/105 : Recovery/Spinner-Specialized Allez Red : Trainer-Kona Major(Rad) Jake : Down & Dirty

  6. #56
    Ghost Ryding 24/7 Ghost Ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada/604
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.
    Posts
    2,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    I'll never forget driving from Whistler to Penticton in 1993 we would up on 9 miles of gravel that was considered a highway.
    You're right, it was not quiet developed back then.
    Lots of fire roads, the newer Sea to Sky HWY & Cohcahalla HWY have come a long way since then.
    Most of the recent upgrade were done for our Olympics in 2010.

    Again I was mostly joking in that post.



    My reason for saying this thread belongs here is that the OP asked about suitable tires for GG.
    Many here would have great suggestions, & I'm pretty sure I've seen a few threads asking the same thing.
    Giant Defy Dura Ace : Rip/Hammer-Specialized Allez Ultegra/105 : Recovery/Spinner-Specialized Allez Red : Trainer-Kona Major(Rad) Jake : Down & Dirty

  7. #57
    Senior Member justin1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    road riding can definitely equal gravel riding, at least in portland right now...
    where's my two dollars...

  8. #58
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    smashed Supersix
    Posts
    6,795
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    schwalbe sammy slick 35c work for the mixed paved/dirt riding I do (socal doesn't have much gravel that isn't private, more sand n rocks then anything...it is a desert)


    up up and away....err more ups by jsig1, on Flickr


    Singletracks to end Rapha Festive500 challenge by jsig1, on Flickr


    crossin Hodges by jsig1, on Flickr

  9. #59
    Ghost Ryding 24/7 Ghost Ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada/604
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.
    Posts
    2,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    schwalbe sammy slick 35c work for the mixed paved/dirt riding I do (socal doesn't have much gravel that isn't private, more sand n rocks then anything...it is a desert)


    up up and away....err more ups by jsig1, on Flickr


    Singletracks to end Rapha Festive500 challenge by jsig1, on Flickr


    crossin Hodges by jsig1, on Flickr
    Nice pics!
    I'd say the conditions I ride are more like that too.
    Not sure if I could call it GG, but it mos def not CX.
    I just classify it as off road riding.
    Giant Defy Dura Ace : Rip/Hammer-Specialized Allez Ultegra/105 : Recovery/Spinner-Specialized Allez Red : Trainer-Kona Major(Rad) Jake : Down & Dirty

  10. #60
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    smashed Supersix
    Posts
    6,795
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder View Post
    Nice pics!
    I'd say the conditions I ride are more like that too.
    Not sure if I could call it GG, but it mos def not CX.
    I just classify it as off road riding.

    Thanks to the Rapha Gents Race few months ago, I got hooked on offoading my roadie, buying the disc CX makes this purpose style rides more enjoyable and doesn't beat up my supersix. & Both faster then my 29er on pavement. The Rapha race had an offroading 33mile/6ft vertical grain section in the century. I did it on 25c tubeless tires, my team was on 25c hardshell gatorskins. It was a epic day in the hills outside of downtown LA. On that section was everything from softball size rocks to high(er) speed hard pack leading into deep sand. The East coast and Oregon guys were hit the hardest as they were used to gravel...not desert sand


    G0102351e by jsig1, on Flickr


    G0242434e by jsig1, on Flickr

  11. #61
    Senior Member LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    19,539
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Killer pics, jsigone!
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  12. #62
    Portland, OR, USA pdxtex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    portland
    My Bikes
    kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx
    Posts
    1,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^hey nice pics. but is that a road, or a...well what else is it? OP here. hey 3 pages long on a contentious topic, rocks (the mineral kind, not acdc kind)!! and moved to dusty, cross type pastures. but hey, we can all get along. im glad there is love for dusty roads regardless of vehicle used. keep it up!
    we've got both kinds, country and western.

  13. #63
    Ghost Ryding 24/7 Ghost Ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada/604
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.
    Posts
    2,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    Thanks to the Rapha Gents Race few months ago, I got hooked on offoading my roadie, buying the disc CX makes this purpose style rides more enjoyable and doesn't beat up my supersix. & Both faster then my 29er on pavement. The Rapha race had an offroading 33mile/6ft vertical grain section in the century. I did it on 25c tubeless tires, my team was on 25c hardshell gatorskins. It was a epic day in the hills outside of downtown LA. On that section was everything from softball size rocks to high(er) speed hard pack leading into deep sand. The East coast and Oregon guys were hit the hardest as they were used to gravel...not desert sand


    G0102351e by jsig1, on Flickr


    G0242434e by jsig1, on Flickr
    That looks like a great time!
    I've relegated my commuter/CXer with disc to GGing too.
    Its better than messing with my Pit bike, or Race rig to go GGing.
    Giant Defy Dura Ace : Rip/Hammer-Specialized Allez Ultegra/105 : Recovery/Spinner-Specialized Allez Red : Trainer-Kona Major(Rad) Jake : Down & Dirty

  14. #64
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Escondido>>>>San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    smashed Supersix
    Posts
    6,795
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
    ^^hey nice pics. but is that a road, or a...well what else is it? OP here. hey 3 pages long on a contentious topic, rocks (the mineral kind, not acdc kind)!! and moved to dusty, cross type pastures. but hey, we can all get along. im glad there is love for dusty roads regardless of vehicle used. keep it up!
    Yah 3 pages in of bs from the 41then get moved here so I threw in some pics to change the pace of this thread

  15. #65
    Portland, OR, USA pdxtex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    portland
    My Bikes
    kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx
    Posts
    1,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, so can we take a VOTE on the all around best type of tires to use for riding on a normal dirt road with potholes and rocks in dry conditions? im inclined to believe very wide, commuter oriented tires with a smoother center tread and slight knobbies may be the best. ive been using actual lightweight cross tires but one wrong turn and id probably cut the sidewall....vote!!
    we've got both kinds, country and western.

  16. #66
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good results with Conti Contact 37mm tires on my Salsa Casseroll, Clement MSO 40s on my Crux and Specialized Renegade 1.8s on my Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross. The Contacts are best if there are many miles of pavement while the MSOs and Renegades handle sand and mud better.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  17. #67
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More roadies in many parts of the country are adding a Cyclocross bike (or some drop-bar bike that has room for larger tires) for gravel and winter riding. Why? On-road, the bike can be equipped with fenders for wet weather and can hold larger tires for soft or soggy surfaces.

    Often, the appeal for this style of cycling goes beyond the alternative status to become a preferred form of riding. The ability to ride in places that are remote, where vehicles are scarce, and where a bike handling and maintenance skills matter.

    A narrow definition of "Gravel Grinder" is a organized or independent planned ride that is primarily on a gravel road. These rides might include some pavement or trails, but most of the ride is double track and not at all technical. Cyclocross and Touring bikes are popular. Salsa has just introduced a "Gravel Grinder" bike model, see: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear...ce-bike-37582/

    A popular site that provides a list of Gravel Grinder events is: http://gravelgrindernews.com/?post_type=tribe_events

    Here are some threads that follow the Gravel theme;

    C&V: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=Gravel ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=Gravel ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=Cino

    Cyclocross Forum: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Gravel-Grinder ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...bottom-bracket ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ders-out-there

    Endurance: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...gravel-century ; http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=Gravel

    To add the retro aesthetic philosophy while enjoying the the go-anywhere freedom of a slightly wider tire, I added this Italian recently.















    This is my 2012 Pedal Force CX2 with 700x32 Vittoria Hyper tires and a 30 speed drivetain;



    This is the 2010 Origin 8 CX700. I'll use 700x50 Schwalbe Supreme, 700x47 Schwalbe Smart Sam, 700x35 Schwalbe Winters and other tires. 27 speed Deore drivetrain with a 48, 36 & 22 chainring set.



    And my 2008ish Soma Double Cross with 700x40 Vittoria Hyper tires and a 30 speed drivetain.

    Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-15-14 at 12:17 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

  18. #68
    Senior Member LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    19,539
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    WTB All Terrain 32s are nice for cheep bastages like me.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  19. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hybrid forum seems like it would be a good place for gravel/dirt road riding threads to me. Maybe change the forum title to Hybrid/Gravel Bikes?
    Last edited by Pendergast; 02-15-14 at 12:28 PM.

  20. #70
    Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,543
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I respectfully disagree, the Hybrid forum is a no better fit than the Cyclocross forum. Gravel grinding is what would happen if Long Distance Competition/Endurance Cycling and Cyclocross had a kid. Elements of both combined into a cycling sport that is at the same time very new, evolving and as old as cycling itself. I reiterate, it deserves its own sub-forum.
    Last edited by Myosmith; 02-15-14 at 07:20 PM.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
    I respectfully disagree, the Hybrid forum is a no better fit than the Cyclocross forum. Gravel grinding is what would happen if Long Distance Competition/Endurance Cycling and Cyclocross had a kid. Elements of both combined into a cycling sport that is at the same time very new, evolving and as old as cycling itself. I reiterate, it deserves its own sub-forum.
    You're probably right. It does deserve its own sub-forum. I wasn't giving enough consideration to the competition aspect of gravel riding. Racing doesn't really seem like a good fit for the hybrid forum.

  22. #72
    Ghost Ryding 24/7 Ghost Ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada/604
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.
    Posts
    2,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
    I respectfully disagree, the Hybrid forum is a no better fit than the Cyclocross forum. Gravel grinding is what would happen if Long Distance Competition/Endurance Cycling and Cyclocross had a kid. Elements of both combined into a cycling sport that is at the same time very new, evolving and as old as cycling itself. I reiterate, it deserves its own sub-forum.
    +1!
    Well said!
    Giant Defy Dura Ace : Rip/Hammer-Specialized Allez Ultegra/105 : Recovery/Spinner-Specialized Allez Red : Trainer-Kona Major(Rad) Jake : Down & Dirty

  23. #73
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,183
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    I really like your bike. Almost makes me want to ditch steel.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,376
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not rename this sub forum "Cyclocross/Gravel" since actual cyclocross racing has been moved elsewhere?

  25. #75
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
    Why not rename this sub forum "Cyclocross/Gravel" since actual cyclocross racing has been moved elsewhere?
    This suggestion has the most merit.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •