Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-cyclocross-gravelbiking/)
-   -   Which crossrip? (http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-cyclocross-gravelbiking/935027-crossrip.html)

IAMAMRA 02-20-14 05:42 PM

Which crossrip?
 
Need some help, no one has it local but interested in the crossrip. Trying to decide between the base model and the comp. my budget is 1100+tax..
Uses:
Hauling kids
Light touring
Errand running
Road riding
Some light off road

This bike will be my main bike for a loong time.
If anyone else has a different bike suggestion in that range(it is a max budget), please let me know.

Thanks,
Micah

lakhotason 02-21-14 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAMAMRA (Post 16513276)
Need some help, no one has it local but interested in the crossrip. Trying to decide between the base model and the comp. my budget is 1100+tax..
Uses:
Hauling kids
Light touring
Errand running
Road riding
Some light off road

This bike will be my main bike for a loong time.
If anyone else has a different bike suggestion in that range(it is a max budget), please let me know.

Thanks,
Micah

I ordered the Crossrip Comp. For the $100 more over the Crossrip you'll get disc brakes and upgraded tires. Mine will be ready Tuesday.

Barrettscv 02-21-14 08:35 AM

95% of the difference between these models is the Disc Brakes. Avid Disc brakes are proven. However, Cantilever brakes are lighter, cheaper and perform equally well on dry days. Disc's main advantage is during wet weather or on muddy surfaces.

If you will be riding in all conditions, the Comp might be a better bike.

Andy_K 02-21-14 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakhotason (Post 16514578)
I ordered the Crossrip Comp. For the $100 more over the Crossrip you'll get disc brakes and upgraded tires. Mine will be ready Tuesday.

...plus a carbon fork.

The BB5 brakes on the Comp are the worst mechanical disc brakes I've used, but they're probably still as good as cantilevers and it gives you an upgrade path if you want better disc brakes in the future.

lakhotason 02-22-14 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 16515895)
...plus a carbon fork.

The BB5 brakes on the Comp are the worst mechanical disc brakes I've used, but they're probably still as good as cantilevers and it gives you an upgrade path if you want better disc brakes in the future.

I realize the disc brakes aren't the best disc brakes but they are at least as good as the cantilevers and they work in all weather conditions. And you're correct - they can (and eventually will) be up-graded.

IAMAMRA 02-22-14 11:27 AM

I think the base model has disc mounts,mi wouldn't be able to add them later?

Andy_K 02-23-14 03:07 AM

If the base model has disc tabs on fork and frame, you could add the disc brakes later, though you'd need to buy new wheels too.

palu 02-23-14 10:13 AM

Personally, I would go with a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Local shop just had a blow out of last year's models for $900, which included panniers and bags. I also think rim brakes will be plenty adequate for your uses.

IAMAMRA 06-12-14 12:23 PM

Ended up picking up the elite last month :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 PM.