Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Which crossrip?

  1. #1
    Big Boned Biker IAMAMRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Platteville, WI
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which crossrip?

    Need some help, no one has it local but interested in the crossrip. Trying to decide between the base model and the comp. my budget is 1100+tax..
    Uses:
    Hauling kids
    Light touring
    Errand running
    Road riding
    Some light off road

    This bike will be my main bike for a loong time.
    If anyone else has a different bike suggestion in that range(it is a max budget), please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Micah
    www.BigBonedBiker.Wordpress.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMAMRA View Post
    Need some help, no one has it local but interested in the crossrip. Trying to decide between the base model and the comp. my budget is 1100+tax..
    Uses:
    Hauling kids
    Light touring
    Errand running
    Road riding
    Some light off road

    This bike will be my main bike for a loong time.
    If anyone else has a different bike suggestion in that range(it is a max budget), please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Micah
    I ordered the Crossrip Comp. For the $100 more over the Crossrip you'll get disc brakes and upgraded tires. Mine will be ready Tuesday.

  3. #3
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edwardsville or Chicago Illinois
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Posts
    9,676
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    95% of the difference between these models is the Disc Brakes. Avid Disc brakes are proven. However, Cantilever brakes are lighter, cheaper and perform equally well on dry days. Disc's main advantage is during wet weather or on muddy surfaces.

    If you will be riding in all conditions, the Comp might be a better bike.
    When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

  4. #4
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    7,315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lakhotason View Post
    I ordered the Crossrip Comp. For the $100 more over the Crossrip you'll get disc brakes and upgraded tires. Mine will be ready Tuesday.
    ...plus a carbon fork.

    The BB5 brakes on the Comp are the worst mechanical disc brakes I've used, but they're probably still as good as cantilevers and it gives you an upgrade path if you want better disc brakes in the future.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    ...plus a carbon fork.

    The BB5 brakes on the Comp are the worst mechanical disc brakes I've used, but they're probably still as good as cantilevers and it gives you an upgrade path if you want better disc brakes in the future.
    I realize the disc brakes aren't the best disc brakes but they are at least as good as the cantilevers and they work in all weather conditions. And you're correct - they can (and eventually will) be up-graded.

  6. #6
    Big Boned Biker IAMAMRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Platteville, WI
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the base model has disc mounts,mi wouldn't be able to add them later?
    www.BigBonedBiker.Wordpress.com

  7. #7
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    7,315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the base model has disc tabs on fork and frame, you could add the disc brakes later, though you'd need to buy new wheels too.

  8. #8
    degeared
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would go with a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Local shop just had a blow out of last year's models for $900, which included panniers and bags. I also think rim brakes will be plenty adequate for your uses.

  9. #9
    Big Boned Biker IAMAMRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Platteville, WI
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up picking up the elite last month
    www.BigBonedBiker.Wordpress.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •