Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-cyclocross-gravelbiking/)
-   -   Please help! (http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-cyclocross-gravelbiking/935849-please-help.html)

Fauxtwenty 02-26-14 02:47 PM

Please help!
 
Hello,

I know I am new to the forum and feel like I should prove myself to everyone here but I am new to cycling(one year) and kind of have an emergency decision to make.

Long story short, I am marrying my girlfriend of 6 years and in order for me to afford the cost, I am forced to sell my current car and might have to bike all year long through 2015.

Anyways, my name is Jarin and I am from the Pacific Northwest(WA state). I am currently looking for a CX bike mainly for commuting to work that can withstand the rain and possibly snow here in WA.

Here are the bikes I am considering; All City Macho Man Disc, Surly Straggler, and Soma Double Cross Disc(complete). They're all great bikes from what I've seen/heard on my research but at this point which bike would be the best bang for your buck? FYI I will also attach a rear rack and I am aware that the Macho Man Disc does not have a braze on but a Salsa Post-Lock will solve my problem since I will packing very light.

Andy_K 02-26-14 05:38 PM

As you said, those are all great bikes. I'm not sure the prices you're getting locally, but of the three I'd probably lean toward the Macho Man because of the 105 shifters. The Double Cross has Apex, which I've heard is comparable to 105, but looks like it costs a bit more. Shimano vs. SRAM is really a "ride it and see which you like" kind of decision.

It appears you're looking for a steel framed bike but, if I may throw in a wrinkle, I think the Kona Jake the Snake is a pretty good value and worth consideration. It's got very similar components to the Macho Man, but with a aluminum frame, carbon fork and PF30 bottom bracket. It also has all the mount points you need for rack and fenders. I can tell you that the Snake rides as smoothly as the steel bikes I've owned.

I think we need a Jake the Snake vs. Macho Man cage match to settle this. Maybe the winner can take on the Nature Boy. ;)

NZier 02-27-14 12:45 PM

I'm with Andy. I don't own either of those bikes but I've heard fantastic things about the macho man and jake the snake.

justin1138 02-27-14 12:49 PM

I'd go with the Macho Man if those are your top three. Same reason as Andy pointed out, the 105 shifters. The overall spec (to me at least) seems to be a bit more thought out. Unless you're dead set on the disc brakes, you could go with the cantilever version and save yourself a few dollars and probably some weight too.

flargle 02-28-14 09:43 AM

I'm sorry but I have to say this: I don't think it's a good idea to sell a capital good like a car to finance a wedding. It's such a trend for young couples to compromise their financial well-being just to hold a big wedding. (And "big" is a relative term. If you need to sell your car to hold the wedding, it's "big" to you.)

Another thing that I have observed is that when a long-term relationship "finally" moves to marriage, the man feels like he owes the woman a big wedding, because he made her wait so long.

These are big topics and you of course can tell me to shove it if I'm out of order here.

Leebo 02-28-14 02:21 PM

I'm biased owning 3 Surlys but I love my disc brakes for year round commuting. Much better in the snow and wet. Running fenders as well?

RPK79 02-28-14 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flargle (Post 16535105)
I'm sorry but I have to say this: I don't think it's a good idea to sell a capital good like a car to finance a wedding. It's such a trend for young couples to compromise their financial well-being just to hold a big wedding. (And "big" is a relative term. If you need to sell your car to hold the wedding, it's "big" to you.)

Another thing that I have observed is that when a long-term relationship "finally" moves to marriage, the man feels like he owes the woman a big wedding, because he made her wait so long.

These are big topics and you of course can tell me to shove it if I'm out of order here.

+1

Sixty Fiver 02-28-14 02:33 PM

My wife and I got married at Voodoo Donuts and spent very little for the whole affair...our 3rd anniversary will be this summer and we have been a happy couple for almost 7 years.

Money can't buy that and you may find that you and your bride to be may need a car...

ill.clyde 02-28-14 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPK79 (Post 16536146)
+1

+2 ... WTF?

Marriage is a committment between two people who love each other. Marriage does NOT equate to wedding.

No wedding is worth such a ridiculous solution

muzpuf 02-28-14 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ill.clyde (Post 16536298)
+2 ... WTF?

Marriage is a committment between two people who love each other. Marriage does NOT equate to wedding.

No wedding is worth such a ridiculous solution

+3 double WTF ...........I would question the type of person who would even allow you to sell your car and be forced bike to work JUST TO PAY FOR A WEDDING

justin1138 02-28-14 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 16536162)
My wife and I got married at Voodoo Donuts and spent very little for the whole affair...our 3rd anniversary will be this summer and we have been a happy couple for almost 7 years.

Money can't buy that and you may find that you and your bride to be may need a car...


I attended a wedding at Voodoo a couple years back... It was a blast!

Kopsis 02-28-14 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzpuf (Post 16536322)
+3 double WTF ...........I would question the type of person who would even allow you to sell your car and be forced bike to work JUST TO PAY FOR A WEDDING

+4

Starting a new life by immediately spending way beyond your means is not a recipe for success. Someone needs a Mr. Money Mustache face-punch.

Giving up the car and bike commuting so you can stay healthy and save/invest a bunch of extra money over the course of your life = good. Giving up the car so you can take what little equity you have left in it and blow it on something completely frivolous = WTF!

chrismorg 02-28-14 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopsis (Post 16536519)
+4

Starting a new life by immediately spending way beyond your means is not a recipe for success. Someone needs a Mr. Money Mustache face-punch.

Giving up the car and bike commuting so you can stay healthy and save/invest a bunch of extra money over the course of your life = good. Giving up the car so you can take what little equity you have left in it and blow it on something completely frivolous = WTF!

+5 I will join in with the WTF crowd You have been dating for 6 years and have no money saved up for a wedding you cannot afford unless you sell your car ?????? ever hear of a justice of the peace (if you last 10 years renew your vows and have a big wedding then)

Andy_K 02-28-14 11:44 PM

There are a number of notable stories (Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, The Princess Bride) in which a man must earn his fortune in order to marry as he wishes (albeit with varying degrees of success). Selling a car seems like a small sacrifice. How about we give the guy a break and assume he's thought this through?

Fauxtwenty 03-01-14 01:05 AM

Well didn't expect this. Anyways bought a cross check frame set and will be swapping parts that I currently have on my current bike. Thanks guys.

muzpuf 03-01-14 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 16537534)
There are a number of notable stories (Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, The Princess Bride) in which a man must earn his fortune in order to marry as he wishes (albeit with varying degrees of success). Selling a car seems like a small sacrifice. How about we give the guy a break and assume he's thought this through?

andy you are correct "notable stories" which is just made up fiction (throw in starwars ,batman, and the hunger games) because they are all just made up stories ........but we are talking real life and in real life you should never sell all your possessions just to pay for a 8 hour wedding

fietsbob 03-01-14 03:15 PM

So 65er did you have a double doughnut ceremony? it is cheaper than gold, for rings, certainly ..


to our young OP , consider A Bakfiets , when you have to rush her to the Delivery room for that first birth,
that cargo box in front will be comfortably padded, to get her there ..

Andy_K 03-02-14 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzpuf (Post 16537665)
andy you are correct "notable stories" which is just made up fiction (throw in starwars ,batman, and the hunger games) because they are all just made up stories ........but we are talking real life and in real life you should never sell all your possessions just to pay for a 8 hour wedding

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...1/382/3dtr.jpg

tsurr 03-02-14 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fauxtwenty (Post 16537642)
Well didn't expect this. Anyways bought a cross check frame set and will be swapping parts that I currently have on my current bike. Thanks guys.

Good Luck, in ten years or less you will know if you made the right decision and remember never,never go to bed bad, much easier to say " I am sorry , let's talk. old guy

User1 03-02-14 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismorg (Post 16536845)
+5 I will join in with the WTF crowd You have been dating for 6 years and have no money saved up for a wedding you cannot afford unless you sell your car ?????? ever hear of a justice of the peace (if you last 10 years renew your vows and have a big wedding then)

+6 WTF with the gang here. You better have a pretty freaking good location to take advantage of the surrounding and be able to get around with no car. Like everything is flat around you, >2 miles from downtown, and 1/2 mile to the station of the metro system. Can be done being carless, but between two peeps? Can easily be done sharing a car, and that should be easy to pull off.

The little lady and I would always forgo the big celebration that is pretty much manufactured to be "needing" by the society one lives in.

muzpuf 03-03-14 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
will this be what you will look like car free on your wedding day ????????/

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=366985

NZier 03-04-14 11:36 PM

+1

Too bad my girlfriend can't ride a bike. Fauxtwenty, how's the build going?

Fauxtwenty 03-10-14 10:31 AM

Yeah my fiace is a runner but she rides her road bike with me sometimes and we hope to ride a lot this summer. Anyways, the build is going great! I was really leaning towards the Cross Check but ended up with the Soma Stanyan cause of it's classic geometry.

and Muzpuf my fiance has a car, so we won't have to do that and I won't need a bakfiets either when my fiance is pregnant cause we can call for an ambulance for free cause I didn't mention here that I work at a hospital. oh and when she delivers we'll pay $0.

I'll update here with pics soon: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...48-Please-help!

Sixty Fiver 03-10-14 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16539218)
So 65er did you have a double doughnut ceremony? it is cheaper than gold, for rings, certainly ..

to our young OP , consider A Bakfiets , when you have to rush her to the Delivery room for that first birth,
that cargo box in front will be comfortably padded, to get her there ..

We opted for titanium rings.

:)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:05 PM.