Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-14, 06:48 PM   #1
PoorInRichfield
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richfield, WI
Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek ION, Trek Crockert, Cannondale F29, Supercross Extension II
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Advice on Fenders for My Trek ION CX

I'm finally starting to see signs of spring here in Wisconsin which means a few months of soggy roads and trails. As much as I hate the look of fenders, I hate having a roost up my back even more so I'm looking for some fenders for my Trek ION CX.

Normally I wouldn't ask for advice for such a simple product, but what has me concerned are the frames mounting holes. The holes for the rear fender don't appear like they'll line-up with most rear fenders.

The lower mounting hole is on the seat tube above the front derailleur on the seat tube. The other mounting hole is on the back of where the brake bridge, but since the bike has cantilever brakes, the hole doesn't go all the way through.





Heck, now that I looked at it, I don't know how the front fender will mount either. There's not a normal eyelet down by the front skewer. Instead, there are some small screws in the fork where I'm guessing I'd have to screw in some bolt eyelets if I had them?!?

I was thinking about getting some Planet Bike hybrid fenders, but considering the odd mounting points on my bike's frame, I'm not sure they'll work:



Perhaps I should go with these quick-mount fenders instead? I don't plan on keeping them on all season long.



Or, is there something cooler and more "CX" like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140320_19_09_01_Pro.jpg (95.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140320_19_08_31_Pro.jpg (102.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 7046.jpg (59.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 7015.jpg (14.6 KB, 7 views)
PoorInRichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 10:32 AM   #2
justin1138
Senior Member
 
justin1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 90's F. Moser Forma, 2011 Raleigh RX 1.0, 70's Sekai Touring Series, 1998 Gary Fisher Aquila,
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)


If you're just worried about keeping the backside dry, this is a good solution. Cheap and easy. I've used one for quite a while now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skxtr1-1.jpg (14.0 KB, 1 views)
justin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 11:51 AM   #3
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edwardsville, Illinois
Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Posts: 10,769
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
I'm finally starting to see signs of spring here in Wisconsin which means a few months of soggy roads and trails. As much as I hate the look of fenders, I hate having a roost up my back even more so I'm looking for some fenders for my Trek ION CX.

Normally I wouldn't ask for advice for such a simple product, but what has me concerned are the frames mounting holes. The holes for the rear fender don't appear like they'll line-up with most rear fenders.

The lower mounting hole is on the seat tube above the front derailleur on the seat tube. The other mounting hole is on the back of where the brake bridge, but since the bike has cantilever brakes, the hole doesn't go all the way through.





Heck, now that I looked at it, I don't know how the front fender will mount either. There's not a normal eyelet down by the front skewer. Instead, there are some small screws in the fork where I'm guessing I'd have to screw in some bolt eyelets if I had them?!?

I was thinking about getting some Planet Bike hybrid fenders, but considering the odd mounting points on my bike's frame, I'm not sure they'll work:



Perhaps I should go with these quick-mount fenders instead? I don't plan on keeping them on all season long.



Or, is there something cooler and more "CX" like?
I have both the Planet Bike hybrid fenders and the Planet Bike hybrid quick-mount fenders;






I like the quick mount a little more because the front fender is easy to remove without the use of tools and without removing the front wheel. The rear fender requires the removal of the wheel, but couldn't be easier. These fenders are a little less secure than the regular model. They don't move around very much, but you might lose some alignment after a rough road or contact with a wall when parking the bike. It's easy to recenter the fender without tools if this happens.

I tend to keep the rear fender on about 70% of the time during damp months, but will remove the front anytime the roads are dry. The 45mm wide model will fit most knobby 700x35's and most slick 700x38's.
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-21-14 at 12:29 PM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 05:23 PM   #4
PoorInRichfield
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richfield, WI
Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek ION, Trek Crockert, Cannondale F29, Supercross Extension II
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
I have both the Planet Bike hybrid fenders and the Planet Bike hybrid quick-mount fenders; I like the quick mount a little more...

I tend to keep the rear fender on about 70% of the time during damp months, but will remove the front anytime the roads are dry. The 45mm wide model will fit most knobby 700x35's and most slick 700x38's.
Excellent... advice from someone who's had both The rear quick-mount fender looks like it has a hole drill in the 'front', likely for mounting to the frame. Do you use that? Per my issue with where the fender mounts are on my ION, I'd have to hope the fender will mount w/o any bolts.

My current tires are 700 x 34 and only have small knobbies on them. I think that's too wide for the road model of the fenders.
PoorInRichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 05:30 PM   #5
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edwardsville, Illinois
Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Posts: 10,769
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
Excellent... advice from someone who's had both The rear quick-mount fender looks like it has a hole drill in the 'front', likely for mounting to the frame. Do you use that? Per my issue with where the fender mounts are on my ION, I'd have to hope the fender will mount w/o any bolts.

My current tires are 700 x 34 and only have small knobbies on them. I think that's too wide for the road model of the fenders.

The quick mount rear fender has a clip to slip over a bridge that might exist on a steel bike. You might have to drill out the clip and use a screw to attach the fender behind the bottom bracket. You will need the 45mm wide fender, what tire do you have?
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 05:38 PM   #6
PoorInRichfield
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richfield, WI
Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek ION, Trek Crockert, Cannondale F29, Supercross Extension II
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
The quick mount rear fender has a clip to slip over a bridge that might exist on a steel bike. You might have to drill out the clip and use a screw to attach the fender behind the bottom bracket. You will need the 45mm wide fender, what tire do you have?
The picture below should show that there is no where to attach the fender behind the bottom bracket and shows the plastic plug above the front derailleur bracket that I think is a fender mount hole (for fenders that don't exist!) The tire are Bontrager CXO Team Issue. For what I use this bike for (mostly gravel trails), I really like the tires.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140321_18_34_32_Pro (577x1024).jpg (60.4 KB, 15 views)
PoorInRichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 05:50 PM   #7
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edwardsville, Illinois
Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Posts: 10,769
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
The picture below should show that there is no where to attach the fender behind the bottom bracket and shows the plastic plug above the front derailleur bracket that I think is a fender mount hole (for fenders that don't exist!) The tire are Bontrager CXO Team Issue. For what I use this bike for (mostly gravel trails), I really like the tires.

Yes, you will need to drill out the two rivets that hold the steel clip to the rear fender. You should be able to attach the fender using the attachment point above the derailleur band on the back of the down-tube. You should use multiple washers to secure the fender. The fender will fit the tire in the picture well, I would expect.

You won't need a hole in the brake bridge if your willing to use zip-ties to secure the clip that attaches to the fender. The clip has slots for the ties that are included.
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-21-14 at 06:46 PM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.