Advice on steel 1x10 from scratch
Last week, my 2006 Cross Check was stolen. It was a 2x9 with 105 derailleurs and STI, Ritchey Pro cranks, XT hubs and Salsa Delgado rims. It was my first real bike. I loved it and it served me well. Now I need to replace it. I’m already talking to my LBS, but I thought I’d look for input here as well.
I think I want to build a steel 1x10. I'll be using it to commute, get around town, and ride the occasional New Mexico trail or singletrack.
I’m 6’5” and 170 lbs. Here’s what I’m thinking so far:
- Surly Cross Check frame and fork, 60 cm
- Sram Rival compact double cranks, 180 mm
- Wolf Tooth cyclocross chainring, 38T
- Sram X7 Type 2 rear derailleur, mid cage
- Sram 11-36T mountain cassette
Retroshift CX1 shift levers (removed due to compatibility comments below)
- Sram Rival shift lever on the right, 900 single-speed brake lever on left
Any additions, suggestions, warnings, or revisions to the above list? I'm hopeful that the Wolf Tooth chainring and the clutched rear derailleur will be enough to keep the chain on. Does mid cage seem appropriate?
Any ideas about a wheelset? I’m looking for something mid-range on durability and weight that doesn’t break the bank.
Thanks in advance.