Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-14, 12:27 PM   #1
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
Thread Starter
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clement X'Plor MSO 700x32 Review

You can read it here.

TL;DR - Good tire for frames/forks without tons of clearance.
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 01:42 PM   #2
lasauge
Pedalin' Erry Day
 
lasauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes:
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pretty good first-impression review, I hope you write about how you think this tire compares to other file tread/lightly treaded tires on the market in the final review.
lasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 01:58 PM   #3
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
Thread Starter
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasauge View Post
Pretty good first-impression review, I hope you write about how you think this tire compares to other file tread/lightly treaded tires on the market in the final review.
I have some similar tires in the queue, so you'll probably see a comparison at some point in the near future.
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 02:32 PM   #4
Noonievut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had the 40mm version (60 tpi) on my cross/gravel bike for a year. I find them awesome for "straight-on" riding...they float over bumps and larger gravel, but like mentioned in other reviews--given the almost triangular profile--they are a challenge on washed out or loose gravel while cornering. I actually used these yesterday in a race up here in Canada called Paris 2 Ancaster, and they were great, other than the two times I cornered fast and found my tries sliding on loose gravel (hard pack, not a problem). Both times I felt very nervous but instinct took over and I stayed upright.

What I would worry about with the 32 version is even less tire being in contact with the surface. I feel that yesterday had I been using these I would've had issues cornering. The stock tires I have on another bike are 32mm and they have a very flat profile, and these cheap tires do a great job in corners (better than the 40mm MSO). This is the one item I would be reluctant about with the 32mm X'Plor MSO.
Noonievut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 02:40 PM   #5
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
Thread Starter
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonievut View Post
I've had the 40mm version (60 tpi) on my cross/gravel bike for a year. I find them awesome for "straight-on" riding...they float over bumps and larger gravel, but like mentioned in other reviews--given the almost triangular profile--they are a challenge on washed out or loose gravel while cornering. I actually used these yesterday in a race up here in Canada called Paris 2 Ancaster, and they were great, other than the two times I cornered fast and found my tries sliding on loose gravel (hard pack, not a problem). Both times I felt very nervous but instinct took over and I stayed upright.

What I would worry about with the 32 version is even less tire being in contact with the surface. I feel that yesterday had I been using these I would've had issues cornering. The stock tires I have on another bike are 32mm and they have a very flat profile, and these cheap tires do a great job in corners (better than the 40mm MSO). This is the one item I would be reluctant about with the 32mm X'Plor MSO.
The 32mm version has a more circular cross-section than the 40mm size. I know exactly what you mean about the 'peak' on the 40mm version. Cornering is much more predictable with the 32mm MSO.
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 07:23 PM   #6
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edwardsville, Illinois
Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Posts: 10,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mark , have you used the 700x32 Kendra Happy Medium?
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 03:43 AM   #7
Noonievut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
The 32mm version has a more circular cross-section than the 40mm size. I know exactly what you mean about the 'peak' on the 40mm version. Cornering is much more predictable with the 32mm MSO.
Thanks for clarifying...the picture I had seen still had them looking like there was a peak.
Noonievut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 08:30 AM   #8
bres dad
Senior Member
 
bres dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Indiana
Bikes: '84 Paramount, '89 Schwinn 754, '13 Specialized RockHopper, Trek Domane 4.3
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this may be a slightly different application but has anyone tried or have opionons on the Kenda Redline Kross Supreme?
bres dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 08:59 AM   #9
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
Thread Starter
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
Mark , have you used the 700x32 Kendra Happy Medium?
Not the 32mm size (only the 40mm). If I'm running tires that narrow, I generally just use conventional road-style tires.
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 02:46 PM   #10
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
I have some similar tires in the queue, so you'll probably see a comparison at some point in the near future.
Looking forward to seeing your comparison. I like the MSO 40s for gravel, but I wonder if something smoother like the Gravel Kings or the USH would be better for rides with more pavement in the mix.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 03:18 PM   #11
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
Thread Starter
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Looking forward to seeing your comparison. I like the MSO 40s for gravel, but I wonder if something smoother like the Gravel Kings or the USH would be better for rides with more pavement in the mix.
A good portion of my unpaved riding takes place on 700x25 or 28 tire, with the latter being Panaracer's Gravelking. I run 25mm rims, so a 25mm tire ends up with a nice footprint/cross-section. The combination of 25mm rims and 28mm Gravelkings is fantastic.
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 AM.