Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-cyclocross-gravelbiking/)
-   -   Clement X'Plor MSO 700x32 Review (http://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-cyclocross-gravelbiking/945376-clement-xplor-mso-700x32-review.html)

MileHighMark 04-28-14 12:27 PM

Clement X'Plor MSO 700x32 Review
 
You can read it here.

TL;DR - Good tire for frames/forks without tons of clearance.

lasauge 04-28-14 01:42 PM

Pretty good first-impression review, I hope you write about how you think this tire compares to other file tread/lightly treaded tires on the market in the final review.

MileHighMark 04-28-14 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasauge (Post 16709710)
Pretty good first-impression review, I hope you write about how you think this tire compares to other file tread/lightly treaded tires on the market in the final review.

I have some similar tires in the queue, so you'll probably see a comparison at some point in the near future.

Noonievut 04-28-14 02:32 PM

I've had the 40mm version (60 tpi) on my cross/gravel bike for a year. I find them awesome for "straight-on" riding...they float over bumps and larger gravel, but like mentioned in other reviews--given the almost triangular profile--they are a challenge on washed out or loose gravel while cornering. I actually used these yesterday in a race up here in Canada called Paris 2 Ancaster, and they were great, other than the two times I cornered fast and found my tries sliding on loose gravel (hard pack, not a problem). Both times I felt very nervous but instinct took over and I stayed upright.

What I would worry about with the 32 version is even less tire being in contact with the surface. I feel that yesterday had I been using these I would've had issues cornering. The stock tires I have on another bike are 32mm and they have a very flat profile, and these cheap tires do a great job in corners (better than the 40mm MSO). This is the one item I would be reluctant about with the 32mm X'Plor MSO.

MileHighMark 04-28-14 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noonievut (Post 16709869)
I've had the 40mm version (60 tpi) on my cross/gravel bike for a year. I find them awesome for "straight-on" riding...they float over bumps and larger gravel, but like mentioned in other reviews--given the almost triangular profile--they are a challenge on washed out or loose gravel while cornering. I actually used these yesterday in a race up here in Canada called Paris 2 Ancaster, and they were great, other than the two times I cornered fast and found my tries sliding on loose gravel (hard pack, not a problem). Both times I felt very nervous but instinct took over and I stayed upright.

What I would worry about with the 32 version is even less tire being in contact with the surface. I feel that yesterday had I been using these I would've had issues cornering. The stock tires I have on another bike are 32mm and they have a very flat profile, and these cheap tires do a great job in corners (better than the 40mm MSO). This is the one item I would be reluctant about with the 32mm X'Plor MSO.

The 32mm version has a more circular cross-section than the 40mm size. I know exactly what you mean about the 'peak' on the 40mm version. Cornering is much more predictable with the 32mm MSO.

Barrettscv 04-28-14 07:23 PM

Mark , have you used the 700x32 Kendra Happy Medium?

Noonievut 04-29-14 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHighMark (Post 16709894)
The 32mm version has a more circular cross-section than the 40mm size. I know exactly what you mean about the 'peak' on the 40mm version. Cornering is much more predictable with the 32mm MSO.

Thanks for clarifying...the picture I had seen still had them looking like there was a peak.

bres dad 04-29-14 08:30 AM

this may be a slightly different application but has anyone tried or have opionons on the Kenda Redline Kross Supreme?

MileHighMark 04-29-14 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 16710634)
Mark , have you used the 700x32 Kendra Happy Medium?

Not the 32mm size (only the 40mm). If I'm running tires that narrow, I generally just use conventional road-style tires.

BluesDawg 04-29-14 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHighMark (Post 16709776)
I have some similar tires in the queue, so you'll probably see a comparison at some point in the near future.

Looking forward to seeing your comparison. I like the MSO 40s for gravel, but I wonder if something smoother like the Gravel Kings or the USH would be better for rides with more pavement in the mix.

MileHighMark 04-29-14 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 16713254)
Looking forward to seeing your comparison. I like the MSO 40s for gravel, but I wonder if something smoother like the Gravel Kings or the USH would be better for rides with more pavement in the mix.

A good portion of my unpaved riding takes place on 700x25 or 28 tire, with the latter being Panaracer's Gravelking. I run 25mm rims, so a 25mm tire ends up with a nice footprint/cross-section. The combination of 25mm rims and 28mm Gravelkings is fantastic.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 AM.