Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 36 of 36
  1. #26
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekon View Post
    Update: I've been doing a lot better on these downhills. However, my BB5 brakes feel a little sketchy. I'm thinking about upgrading to BB7s. Has anyone had experience doing this upgrade? If so, how do you like them?

    Also, I'm planning on ordering the happy medium tires soon. Question - Do 700x35 fit on my bike? I'm assuming they do but just making sure...
    I have BB7's and so far I've been happy with them. Easy to install brake pads and adjust. However, rather than upgrade, you can try swapping out the brake pads and see if that helps. Also, when I am downhilling, I only use my rear brakes and pull my weight backwards (abdomen to saddle) This allows me to go over small obstacles and prevent the superman dive. And Jsigone is right about "thinking about crashing will make you crash"! Confidence going downhill goes along way.

    700 x 35 should fit your wheels but if unsure, check with your LBS. Here is a helpful resource I came accross Top 15 Best Clincher Cyclocross Tires Guide | CYCLOPHILIAC - American Made Cycling. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Dragonboy13; 06-03-14 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Kate Beckinsale is hot!

  2. #27
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy13 View Post
    I have BB7's and so far I've been happy with them. Easy to install brake pads and adjust. However, rather than upgrade, you can try swapping out the brake pads and see if that helps. Also, when I am downhilling, I only use my rear brakes and pull my weight backwards (abdomen to saddle) This allows me to go over small obstacles and prevent the superman dive. And Jsigone is right about "thinking about crashing will make you crash"! Confidence going downhill goes along way.

    700 x 35 should fit your wheels but if unsure, check with your LBS. Here is a helpful resource I came accross Top 15 Best Clincher Cyclocross Tires Guide | CYCLOPHILIAC - American Made Cycling. Hope this helps!
    Thanks this helps a lot. I am not as scared as I was when I first did this trail. I'm almost keeping up with my buddy who has a MTB. However, I still crush him on the climbs.

    Anyways, I know they'll fit the wheels. I was more concerned if my bike has enough clearance for a 700x35 tire. I'm guessing it does. Don't all CX bikes have a fair amount of clearance?
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North of Boston
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
    Posts
    1,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Only rear brake? The front brake provides most of the stopping power. Try to balance the 2. No reason not to use both brakes on the OP's smooth dirt roads.

  4. #29
    Senior Member Kopsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekon View Post
    Don't all CX bikes have a fair amount of clearance?
    UCI rules limit cyclocross tires to 33mm width, so true CX bikes (bikes designed for CX racing) don't need to accommodate anything wider. Some do, particularly those targeting "recreational" riders as well as racers, but CX is not synonymous with fat tires.

  5. #30
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopsis View Post
    UCI rules limit cyclocross tires to 33mm width, so true CX bikes (bikes designed for CX racing) don't need to accommodate anything wider. Some do, particularly those targeting "recreational" riders as well as racers, but CX is not synonymous with fat tires.
    For my purposes wouldn't 35mm be better? I'm not looking to do any races any time soon. Just have fun up & down steep hills.
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  6. #31
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your frame should have plenty of clearance for 35mm tires, and they would be better for offroad.

    Regarding the BB7 vs BB5, I'd of a mixed mind here. The BB7's are definitely better than BB5's, but they aren't the pick-of-the-litter among drop bar disc brakes like they used to be. When you're riding downhill offroad traction is typically the limiting factor in your braking power. You might find that all the BB7's do is let you get into a skid faster. On the other hand, they are easier to keep adjusted.

  7. #32
    Senior Member Kopsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekon View Post
    For my purposes wouldn't 35mm be better? I'm not looking to do any races any time soon. Just have fun up & down steep hills.
    Not saying you shouldn't go wider, just saying don't assume that a CX bike can take wider. Some can, but you need to make some actual measurements to see what yours can fit.

  8. #33
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I talked to the shop and they said 35mm would fit just fine.

    With my current Kenda Quicks i got 3 flats in 2 weeks on this trail! I think it's the rocky parts combined with the downhill speed that blows my tires.

    I hope the Kenda Happy Mediums will help!!
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  9. #34
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered the happy mediums! they are 40c. According to the manufacture they will fit. Hopefully 40c doesn't impact my climbs too much!!
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  10. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    SOMA ES, Kona Super Jake, Kona Rove Ti, Voodoo Soukri
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if BB5 to BB7 is much of an upgrade. I think the TRP Spyre calipers may be the best mechanical brake available currently. The 35c tires should fit on that bike. You should be able to tell just by seeing how much clearance you currently have.

  11. #36
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paddybogman View Post
    I'm not sure if BB5 to BB7 is much of an upgrade. I think the TRP Spyre calipers may be the best mechanical brake available currently. The 35c tires should fit on that bike. You should be able to tell just by seeing how much clearance you currently have.
    Thanks, 42c is the max. I think if i'm going to upgrade the brakes they better stop on dime. I don't want new brakes that are only going to give me a slight upgrade.
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •