Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone have feedback on bike trailer's for little ones?

    My little guy just turned 7 months and I watch him on weekends so hoping to find a good safe bike trailer we can ride around on local MUPS and bike trails close to home. All the paths are pretty smooth. I did look into them briefly, but they seem to range anywhere from $50-$500 and all seem to look the same with the exception of suspension on some of the higher end models.

    I have a road bike and a hybrid, but will more than likely use the hybrid when we ride since I don't plan on going too fast with him on back.

    Anyone have suggestion on good brands to consider or what options I should be looking for. I have yet to find a bike shop with them in stock so haven't been able to inspect anything in person as of yet.

  2. #2
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Parker, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Javelin Boca
    Posts
    3,553
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Burley that was gifted to us from a friend. Craig's list is a great place -- make sure whatever you look at has all the hardware and connecting pieces. Most (all?) trailers have a part that goes on the tow bike at the rear axle -- then the trailer attaches to it.

    My only suggestion isn't on the trailer; it's to wait a few more months. The earliest my pediatrician (and reading I did) said to have the kids in the trailer was 1 year old -- mostly because their neck muscles aren't developed enough yet to wear a helmet and be safe. (Yes, a helmet in the trailer)

  3. #3
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superdex View Post
    We have a Burley that was gifted to us from a friend. Craig's list is a great place -- make sure whatever you look at has all the hardware and connecting pieces. Most (all?) trailers have a part that goes on the tow bike at the rear axle -- then the trailer attaches to it.

    My only suggestion isn't on the trailer; it's to wait a few more months. The earliest my pediatrician (and reading I did) said to have the kids in the trailer was 1 year old -- mostly because their neck muscles aren't developed enough yet to wear a helmet and be safe. (Yes, a helmet in the trailer)
    Thanks for the tips. I was also told to wait until he was at least a year old or a minimum of 20lbs, but will be searching CL to hopefully find a good deal as I really don't plan to pay more for a trailer than the bike that will be pulling it. Do you recall what version burley you had? I looked at a few online and wow I can't believe how much they want for these things new. Hoping I can save at least half the costs getting a fairly basic used one since she already spent $500+ on a stroller

  4. #4
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    5,890
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get a Chariot again if I needed a trailer. Smart designs and accessories (including a head brace). I have one of their Sidecarrier sidecars. Sweet piece of kit.

    i have two kids, and put them both in the sidecar before it made sense to have them wear helmets. I understand some may have a different assessment of the risks involved in having young necks bear the helmet weight vs. risks of accidents vs. convenience, and those issues vis-a-vis fitting a helmet, fitting a kid with a helmet in the trailer, and full-frame trailers.

    I also have a vintage, out-of-production Tanjor Aero with inline seating that's positively awesome for older kids, as in 3yr and up. If you can find one, buy it!

    Lastly, the Rec & Family forum here is a good resource for kid trailer info.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  5. #5
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    5,890
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my full rig, for hauling 3 kids, or two and lotsa stuff:

    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  6. #6
    Senior Member ColaJacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014
    Posts
    1,067
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of Performance Bike shops keep trailers in stock.

    GH

  7. #7
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
    I'd get a Chariot again if I needed a trailer. Smart designs and accessories (including a head brace). I have one of their Sidecarrier sidecars. Sweet piece of kit.

    i have two kids, and put them both in the sidecar before it made sense to have them wear helmets. I understand some may have a different assessment of the risks involved in having young necks bear the helmet weight vs. risks of accidents vs. convenience, and those issues vis-a-vis fitting a helmet, fitting a kid with a helmet in the trailer, and full-frame trailers.

    I also have a vintage, out-of-production Tanjor Aero with inline seating that's positively awesome for older kids, as in 3yr and up. If you can find one, buy it!

    Lastly, the Rec & Family forum here is a good resource for kid trailer info.
    I did look at the Chariot carriers and they are probably the best around, however the wife wants to get a "jogger" in addition to my trailer so that cut my spending down to $300 max. As a result I'm considering getting a used one and most of the good used trailers I found have been burley. That Tanjor looks sweet for sure. Almost like an old fashion race car! I'm going to setup an alert to see if I can find one, but it's doubtful.

    Quote Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
    A lot of Performance Bike shops keep trailers in stock.
    GH
    I have a Performance a mile away and they don't carry any nor does the REI next door. I may end up driving an hour away just to see what the burley's look like.

  8. #8
    Thunder Whisperer no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved from General Cycling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E CT.
    My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    InStep from Amazon. I got this last summer when my grandson was about 11 months old. It works great and is easy to set up and break down.




    Sorry, this item is not available in
    Image not available
    To view this video download Flash Player
    Click to open expanded view


    InSTEP Sync Single Bicycle Trailer


    by Pacific Cycle

    596 customer reviews



    Why am I seeing this?
    At Amazon, we seek to give customers as much information as possible so they can make a great purchase decision.
    Will other customers be able to see my shopping history?
    No, we will never share any identifiable information about you, your browsing history, or your purchase activity.
    How do I find out more about Amazon Mom?
    Please visit here to learn more.




    Popular with Amazon Moms with 12-18 month old children (What's this?)




    List Price: $128.41
    Price: $99.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
    You Save: $28.42 (22%)





    In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com in easy-to-open packaging. Gift-wrap available.









    Color: Green/Gray






    • Versatile, durable, single-passenger bike trailer
    • Outstanding value for family-minded recreational cyclists
    • Simple design folds down for easy storage and transportation
    • Two-in-one canopy has bug screen and weather shield
    • Coupler attaches to almost any bicycle









    17 new from $98.56

    This item will be visible when delivered. To keep it a surprise, select This is a gift in checkout.

  10. #10
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great and is pretty reasonable, but do you know if it has a full roll cage like the more expensive brands. Although I'm as cheap as can be and love a great deal this is one of the decision that I'm willing to pay extra for if it's "safer".

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E CT.
    My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sides fold up, and they have an aluminum frame. There is a bar on top that locks the sides in place. I don't know if I'd consider this a full roll cage, but there is some protection there. I really think it would be a problem to get this to turn over, it's pretty stable. I totally understand your concern for safety first.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Portland OR metro
    My Bikes
    Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8, Nashbar tandem
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of getting a "jogger" and a trailer, try getting a convertible trailer like some of the Burley and Chariot trailers. Our old Burley with the jogger kit got almost as much use off the bike as on.
    I've never used a Chariot trailer but the Burley was very durable compared to friend's Instep trailers that fell apart after a year or so. This means a used Burley is a viable option, as long as you can inspect it in person since a friend got burned by an Ebay purchase that arrived minus the wheels.

  13. #13
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    5,890
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow View Post
    Instead of getting a "jogger" and a trailer, try getting a convertible trailer like some of the Burley and Chariot trailers. Our old Burley with the jogger kit got almost as much use off the bike as on.
    I've never used a Chariot trailer but the Burley was very durable compared to friend's Instep trailers that fell apart after a year or so. This means a used Burley is a viable option, as long as you can inspect it in person since a friend got burned by an Ebay purchase that arrived minus the wheels.
    They already spent the $500 on the BOB or whatever, so that option has sailed. Would've been reasonable though, and the Chariot convertibles are particularly nice.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  14. #14
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,899
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We had mine in the trailer in January at age 7mo. I think to do it again we'd put his car seat in the trailer so his head wouldn't loll when he naps.

    In May he rode ~110 miles.

    We have an InStep Take 2, much like the one in post 9 but a 2-seater with a center harness so you can take one kid down the middle or two across. I cannot recommend it as a serious piece of hardware. It's not chintzy, it's held together well enough so far. But only two things about it are better than a Burley or Chariot. The one thing it does better than the nicer ones is that it folds completely flat. The other is that it's about 1/4 the price. Other than that, instead of a universal joint it uses a big spring, which creaks. The cover is attached with Velcro and snaps, and does not zip closed; on a better trailer the cover is like a camping tent, it seals up and is weatherproof if needed. The windows are not UV-proof and there is no sun shade. There is no suspension, the seats don't recline. The plastic wheels aren't true and the tires are hard as rocks. The aerodynamics stink, it's like towing a parachute. It's heavy. It does not convert from or to a stroller.
    Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-06-15 at 01:09 PM.
    Genesis 49:17

  15. #15
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow View Post
    Instead of getting a "jogger" and a trailer, try getting a convertible trailer like some of the Burley and Chariot trailers. Our old Burley with the jogger kit got almost as much use off the bike as on.
    I've never used a Chariot trailer but the Burley was very durable compared to friend's Instep trailers that fell apart after a year or so. This means a used Burley is a viable option, as long as you can inspect it in person since a friend got burned by an Ebay purchase that arrived minus the wheels.
    Well I'm still on the hunt for a trailer. Since the wife already spent a ton on a fancy stroller I'm basically looking to get something either used or something on the lower end. I think my best bet would be to go used and try and get a used one. Would it be possible to find a "convertible" for say around $200 or so? If not then I'll just have to settle for a dedicated setup.

  16. #16
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,899
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Well I'm still on the hunt for a trailer. Since the wife already spent a ton on a fancy stroller I'm basically looking to get something either used or something on the lower end. I think my best bet would be to go used and try and get a used one. Would it be possible to find a "convertible" for say around $200 or so? If not then I'll just have to settle for a dedicated setup.
    Just get on your local Craigslist and search both the baby+kids section and the bikes section for Chariot and Burley. You should find something.
    Genesis 49:17

  17. #17
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Just get on your local Craigslist and search both the baby+kids section and the bikes section for Chariot and Burley. You should find something.
    Ok what about this one? Not sure if it's a burley or not, but it does say "chariot" and looks like it has a handle?? To use it as as stroller.

    Chariot bike trailer

    I also found this one, but not sure if it's the one I should consider or not.

    Burley Bike Trailer

  18. #18
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,899
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Burley and Chariot (now part of Thule) are two different brands. But they're both good. Make sure what you buy has all the parts you need (hitch for the bike, front wheels for stroller mode) or that you're ok buying what's missing.
    Genesis 49:17

  19. #19
    Senior Member snow_echo_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)
    Posts
    586
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have extensive experience with chariot carriers CX 1. they were a calgary based company that was sold to Thule recently. we bought in 2011 before the acquisition. it cost a lot less than it does now.

    at both REI.com and MEC.ca, we researched a lot and went with Chariot Carriers mostly b/c we needed a running stroller too and b/c we cross country ski. we've used the chariot for XC skiing, cycling and running (and strolling too) and it is easy to use for all three.

    components we got were
    - strolling wheels
    - jogging wheel attachments
    - basket (for on top)
    - cycling attachment & flag
    - XC skis and associated belt
    - extra rain cover
    - baby supporter
    - baby sling (which we sent back)
    we could technically go hiking with this, but for hiking we would use our deuter pack child comfort carrier.

    it comes with a rain cover and shade on the side. it's as breathable as you would like or not. we have ability to use side vents or close them off to wind etc. also there's a sun visor, and different levels of "containment" depending on your activity and baby's preference. there's snack and bottle holders for baby, but she can't reach them from where she sits. the extra rain cover is when it's seriously pouring. i've only used it maybe 3x? the rain cover it comes with is sufficient.

    it's pretty perfect. i wouldn't buy anything else considering the activities we do.

  20. #20
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY View Post

    components we got were
    - strolling wheels
    - jogging wheel attachments
    - basket (for on top)
    - cycling attachment & flag
    - XC skis and associated belt
    - extra rain cover
    - baby supporter
    - baby sling (which we sent back)
    we could technically go hiking with this, but for hiking we would use our deuter pack child comfort carrier.


    it's pretty perfect. i wouldn't buy anything else considering the activities we do.
    Wow that's quit a list of activities.

    Since the little one wasn't 9 mo yet (he will be soon) I sort of put off looking. However I just found 2 newly posted trailers, both are asking $200. The Burley is a D'Lite solo, but not sure what model the chariot is.

    Here are the pics.

    00b0b_dDSAFmNukqU_600x450.jpg

    00101_4HuZLRYq3ZB_600x450.jpg

  21. #21
    Senior Member snow_echo_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)
    Posts
    586
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Wow that's quit a list of activities.

    Since the little one wasn't 9 mo yet (he will be soon) I sort of put off looking. However I just found 2 newly posted trailers, both are asking $200. The Burley is a D'Lite solo, but not sure what model the chariot is.

    Here are the pics.

    00b0b_dDSAFmNukqU_600x450.jpg

    00101_4HuZLRYq3ZB_600x450.jpg
    the chariot looks looks like an older model of the CX1. the wheels are different than mine.
    plus handle bar is missing and so is the drum brake. and the mesh sides and front don't have their plastic coverings for rain? but otherwise it looks fine. perhaps the owner took them off and stored them somewhere.

    you should try and check out both of them if they are local to you

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the instep. This is my second trailer (We have an 11.5 year old and a 4 year old, we ended up giving away most of the kids stuff from the first one). With the first kid we had one of the double one that you could attach a wheel to the front and make it a jogging stroller. It was a poor jogging stroller. comparable to this Amazon.com : Allen Sports Premium Aluminum 2 Child Bicycle Trailer and Stroller : Child Carrier Bike Trailers : Sports & Outdoors

    For the 2nd kid we learned a couple of things. We wanted a single carrier rather than the double wide. These things act a a parachute no sense in adding additional width. The other thing about width is if you are on a narrow bike path (or sidewalk) you take up more room. But if you plan on having 2 kids in the same age range the double wide would make sense. We also knew that the convertible feature was not worth it on the lesser expensive trailers (it might be better on the high end trailers). We purchased a separate fixed wheel jogging stroller. The fixed wheel jogging stroller worked better than the ones where the wheel can be locked in place. What i would recommend for the joggling stroller is the hands free adaptor. You steer with your waist. It too a couple miles to get use to it but it allowed you to use your arms to run not push the stroller.
    Amazon.com : Stroll-Smart Hands Free Jogging Stroller Adaptor Medium to Large : Wrist Stroller Strap : Baby

    Hmmm full roll cage. They both had metal frames. I don't know if I would call it a roll cage. I also thing you need to work at tipping one of these over.

  23. #23
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY View Post
    the chariot looks looks like an older model of the CX1. the wheels are different than mine.
    plus handle bar is missing and so is the drum brake. and the mesh sides and front don't have their plastic coverings for rain? but otherwise it looks fine. perhaps the owner took them off and stored them somewhere.

    you should try and check out both of them if they are local to you
    They did list they have the hanlde, but I'll ask about the mesh covers. The ad just said it has all parts and handle so I assume everything that it comes with is there. I would love the jogging option, but because of my bad needs I more or less walk face and never really "jog" which is why I ride my bike pretty often.

    I also found this one, but it's $300. Maybe if the seller went down a little? Not sure if it's the newer model or not.

    00303_l6yogf4fggt_600x450.jpg

  24. #24
    Senior Member LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Irvine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Porter View Post
    We have the instep. This is my second trailer (We have an 11.5 year old and a 4 year old, we ended up giving away most of the kids stuff from the first one). With the first kid we had one of the double one that you could attach a wheel to the front and make it a jogging stroller. It was a poor jogging stroller. comparable to this Amazon.com : Allen Sports Premium Aluminum 2 Child Bicycle Trailer and Stroller : Child Carrier Bike Trailers : Sports & Outdoors

    For the 2nd kid we learned a couple of things. We wanted a single carrier rather than the double wide. These things act a a parachute no sense in adding additional width. The other thing about width is if you are on a narrow bike path (or sidewalk) you take up more room. But if you plan on having 2 kids in the same age range the double wide would make sense. We also knew that the convertible feature was not worth it on the lesser expensive trailers (it might be better on the high end trailers). We purchased a separate fixed wheel jogging stroller. The fixed wheel jogging stroller worked better than the ones where the wheel can be locked in place. What i would recommend for the joggling stroller is the hands free adaptor. You steer with your waist. It too a couple miles to get use to it but it allowed you to use your arms to run not push the stroller.
    Amazon.com : Stroll-Smart Hands Free Jogging Stroller Adaptor Medium to Large : Wrist Stroller Strap : Baby

    Hmmm full roll cage. They both had metal frames. I don't know if I would call it a roll cage. I also thing you need to work at tipping one of these over.
    Yeah I like the single carriers and prefer the more aero design. I road my bike last night and my downhill max speed was 48mph. I want something fast and nimble that I can get going in. Plus like you said the trails and bike lanes are pretty small already.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •