Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Would you pay for a premium balance bike?

    I was thinking of baby stuff prices today.

    We just bought a reversible car seat to accommodate our growing baby, he has outgrown the rear-facing travel system seat we had for his infancy. It was nigh $300, and like most car seats looks like it was engineered by the legal department and then sent to the crap-accessories-that-attract-moms-but-don't-actually-work department. God I hate car seats, what a profiteering racket.

    We also bought an Osprey Poco Plus frame pack papoose. This had an astonishing price tag, but it's a quality piece of equipment. This was also near $300 at REI. It was an impulse purchase but I didn't mind paying it. It's been great. I could easily see it standing up to everyday use for a decade by a growing young family. There's only one feature I don't like, and that's when you undo the buckles for the sunshade, they spring up past baby's eyeballs.

    There are some balance bikes that are in this realm of price ($200 or even more). They are generally made in Yurp by small companies (or at least small brands) that either have a whole line of premium kiddie bikes or express a philosophy about how things should be. There's even a $300 bike on the market with rear suspension! However below that there are also a ton of quality bikes in the sub $150 range, and perhaps from brands you might recognize better, including Haro, GT, Strider, Burley, Specialized. It does seem as though anything decent is going to come in north of $100.

    How much is too much for you? I think I'm pretty ok with $150.
    Genesis 49:17

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Yuba Mundo 4.3, 2007 Jake the Snake
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm out of the market because my youngest is ~4, but I'd drop $200 to (maybe) 300 on a balance bike no problem at the outset of my three stairstep kiddos no problem. I'd probably only go as high as $150 for one, and it would have to be something like the Yuba Flip Flop that would have the potential of growing with the kid.

  3. #3
    Senior Member delcrossv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scalarville
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 bucks at Performance on sale. looked decent. As long as it rolls easy and doesn't weigh a ton, I don't see much difference in what you get /what you pay.
    Lightning P-38 / M5 M-Racer/Ryan Vanguard

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    90 bucks at Performance on sale. looked decent. As long as it rolls easy and doesn't weigh a ton, I don't see much difference in what you get /what you pay.
    All kids bikes/striders weigh a ton. Seriously, go pick one up. They're almost as heavy as my road bike...

    There is no way in hell I'd pay $300 for a strider that they're just going to grow out of in a year or so. Heck, I'd go to the local bike co-op and buy a used one for 20 bucks and donate it back when I was done with it... in a year.

  5. #5
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    90 bucks at Performance on sale. looked decent. As long as it rolls easy and doesn't weigh a ton, I don't see much difference in what you get /what you pay.
    There is, up to a point. They have different saddle height and weight. A smaller and more toy-like one with foam tires like a Strider might be better for a toddler, a more bike-like one with air tires like the Performance might be better for a preschooler. Some have hand brakes, some have guards on the grips, the Performance one has neither. And in the $50 range some of them just seem to be terrible designs. I'm hoping to find one I can put him on as early as possible (like 18mo) and have it last until he's ready for pedaling, and then last through two more hypothetical kids.
    Genesis 49:17

  6. #6
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    All kids bikes/striders weigh a ton. Seriously, go pick one up. They're almost as heavy as my road bike...
    Striders specifically weigh about 7 lb but there are some balance bikes that are 15. That's a big deal if you weigh 25. But Strider deliberately chose foam rather than air tires to keep it light, so when the kid gets heavy and proficient, it's terrible.
    Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-01-15 at 03:42 PM.
    Genesis 49:17

  7. #7
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Genesis 49:17

  8. #8
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Parker, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Javelin Boca
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a couple options:
    0) We have a Strider that was a donation. Best value ever.

    1) craig's list.

    2) remove drivetrain from a bike the kid already has -- or in our case, the bike my parents gave him when he turned 4. He went from training wheels to no drivetrain/no training wheels to riding. This option is especially enticing if your child is too big for a Strider/run bike...

    3) ~$100 is what I would pay new, if I was in the market

  9. #9
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Parker, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Javelin Boca
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    I'd probably only go as high as $150 for one, and it would have to be something like the Yuba Flip Flop that would have the potential of growing with the kid.
    win.

    I I was in the market I'd look at this one seriously. Fantastic design to grow with the kid(s).

  10. #10
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superdex View Post
    win.

    I I was in the market I'd look at this one seriously. Fantastic design to grow with the kid(s).
    I'm not so sure. With foam tires and no brake, and I can't see a QR on the seat, it doesn't seem superior to the midlevel Strider for less. The LittleBig seems like a much better execution of this idea. Its steering gets faster when you flip it and then you can add pedals. I considered getting it but it's just too big for toddlers before maybe 2.5 yrs
    Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-01-15 at 10:34 PM.
    Genesis 49:17

  11. #11
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Parker, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Javelin Boca
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you stroking discussion, or in the market to buy one? Because I'm starting to think you're WAY overanalyzing it. They all work...

  12. #12
    Too Much Crazy
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NY
    My Bikes
    A bunch
    Posts
    3,562
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized hotwalk I have is 9 pounds with air tires. I didn't think it was too bad.

  13. #13
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superdex View Post
    So are you stroking discussion, or in the market to buy one? Because I'm starting to think you're WAY overanalyzing it.
    Oh, both, of course! It's a BF tradition
    Genesis 49:17

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I've been happy with our used Strider, the Yeedoo Too Too looks like a pretty good option at just slightly over $150. It has a wide range of adjustability in the seat height, air tires, and a rear brake.


    The Glide Ezee also seems like a good option as well for significantly less,
    Glide Ezee Glider Kid's Balance Bike - Air Tires

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costco has the EVA version of the Ezee Glider for $69.99 including S&H:

    http://www.costco.com/Glide-Bikes-12...100034479.html

  16. #16
    Senior Member jfowler85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I was thinking of baby stuff prices today.

    We just bought a reversible car seat to accommodate our growing baby, he has outgrown the rear-facing travel system seat we had for his infancy. It was nigh $300, and like most car seats looks like it was engineered by the legal department and then sent to the crap-accessories-that-attract-moms-but-don't-actually-work department. God I hate car seats, what a profiteering racket.

    We also bought an Osprey Poco Plus frame pack papoose. This had an astonishing price tag, but it's a quality piece of equipment. This was also near $300 at REI. It was an impulse purchase but I didn't mind paying it. It's been great. I could easily see it standing up to everyday use for a decade by a growing young family. There's only one feature I don't like, and that's when you undo the buckles for the sunshade, they spring up past baby's eyeballs.

    There are some balance bikes that are in this realm of price ($200 or even more). They are generally made in Yurp by small companies (or at least small brands) that either have a whole line of premium kiddie bikes or express a philosophy about how things should be. There's even a $300 bike on the market with rear suspension! However below that there are also a ton of quality bikes in the sub $150 range, and perhaps from brands you might recognize better, including Haro, GT, Strider, Burley, Specialized. It does seem as though anything decent is going to come in north of $100.

    How much is too much for you? I think I'm pretty ok with $150.
    Skuut.

    http://www.amazon.com/Diggin-Active-...keywords=skuut

    I want my son to be happy, and he shall be plenty happy on a ~$50 balance bike...he'll outgrow it within a year anyways.
    Craft Beer, n: a term used by snobs who fancy pretending that they know what they're talking about.

  17. #17
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just spotted a Kent Glyder at Wally World for $25. Had 8" stroller wheels and injection molded frame - looked dreadful!
    Genesis 49:17

  18. #18
    Senior Member jgadamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland OR
    My Bikes
    a hybrid townie and a steel framed roadie
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2) remove drivetrain from a bike the kid already has --

    Did this for a friends kid. In two weeks he had it down and demanded i put the pedals back on. Riding solo from them on. Age 3yrs,4 months.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •