Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87
  1. #1
    Senior Member oldskoolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Father teaches kid to ride without a helmet

    So I'm walking my dog and kid (in a backpack) the other day. We're walking down a VERY wide street, quiet for the most part but a long straightaway, so cars can tend to go REALLY fast, +35MPH. From a distance, I see a little girl (5 or 6 maybe) riding a bike, albeit a little wobbly. I gather she's just learning. All of sudden she picks up speed, heads for the curb and hits it dead on, falls off the bike. She's w/ her dad, who props her up on the curb and talks to her. I'm walking closer and notice, SHE'S NOT WEARING A HELMET. She hit the curb and fell w/o a helmet on. The father proceeds to coax her on and she rides up and down the street, not even in the bike lane but the middle of the street. I was so closely to chewing him out, not her fault that she'd have to suffer for his bout of Darwinism.

    But I kept my mouth shut. I don't think the message would've been received. God bless that kid...

  2. #2
    /dev/null glock17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carroll, IA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mtn Bike
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i learned to ride with no helmet, wasnt even heard of when i learned.

  3. #3
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - didn't make bike helmets for kids (or even riders) when i started riding...

    - i've never spawned, but if i had and my miscreant, feral street urchin of a child wanted to learn how to ride a bike, you bet your booty he/she would have a helmet on!

    :-)

  4. #4
    Senior Member rule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    1,922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my kiddo in for his 6 year-old medical check up here recently. The check up package that we got to fill out ahead of time from his pediatrician actually included a written agreement that I had to sign saying that I would provide him with a helmet if he were doing anything that involved wheels. During our visit I ask her what would she do if a parent didn't want to sign it. She said that she would refuse to treat their child. Then she reached into her drawer and pulled out a how-to-buy-a-helmet spec sheet that included some nice discount coupons good at just about any of the local bike shops and discount stores. Pretty cool!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    - didn't make bike helmets for kids (or even riders) when i started riding...
    Yep, same here. Somehow I survived, but ...

    My daughter ALWAYS wears a helmet.

    I've forgotten my own helmet a couple times, and she gives me hell for it

  6. #6
    Huachuca Rider webist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    4,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither do I recall using seat belts until the 80's.
    I think one was able to climb all the way up to the top of a ladder until around 83.

    Every morning I am about 45 minutes late getting started on my ride. There's a little white sticker on the top tube that says read owner's manual before riding.
    Just Peddlin' Around

  7. #7
    Huachuca Rider webist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    4,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I always wear a seat belt when in a moving vehicle and always wear a helmet on the bike.
    Just Peddlin' Around

  8. #8
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glock17
    i learned to ride with no helmet, wasnt even heard of when i learned.
    Good point - look at the rocket scientist you turned out to be!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    skydive69,

    All the posts I have read from you are very condescending. Aren't you quite the internet warrior. What a disgrace to the human race.

  10. #10
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoana
    skydive69,

    All the posts I have read from you are very condescending. Aren't you quite the internet warrior. What a disgrace to the human race.
    Get a life dip****, and don't take up rocket science!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't over react to the helmet thing. I was an adult before I saw my first bicycle helmet. Bell tried to sell them in the '70s and couldn't give them away. Unlike motorcycles where head injuries in the event of a crash are common and often severe, I can personally vouch for experiencing dozens and seeing maybe 100's of non-helmeted bicycle crashes without a single head injury. I probably still have gravel in my knees and elbows from all the crashes I took as a kid.

    Bike helmets didn't become popular until municipalities started mandating their use. I wouldn't be surprised if the helmet manufacturers saw the success manufacturers of car seats had after they were made mandatory and lobbied for the same. Maybe even a little kickback money to the legislators, in NY that wouldn't surprise many people.

    I remember when the legislation was first talked about in my area there just weren't the statistics to back it up but people generally thought "can't hurt". Then there was an outcry that it would be a burden on the poor to have to purchase helmets so the "state" provided them. It's been a good business ever since. Helmets don't cost that much, at least sensible ones, and we all get ripped off in bigger ways so not a big deal.

    I wouldn't get too exercised at the dad about the helmet. The traffic on the other hand...

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Poconos,Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    cannondale,cannondale
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a bicycle will not go the speed of a "dirt bike" but fall once the wrong way and it's over- -the father should see that once and the helmet would be on before a leg goes over the bike..I will never for get it..

  13. #13
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rule
    I took my kiddo in for his 6 year-old medical check up here recently. The check up package that we got to fill out ahead of time from his pediatrician actually included a written agreement that I had to sign saying that I would provide him with a helmet if he were doing anything that involved wheels. During our visit I ask her what would she do if a parent didn't want to sign it. She said that she would refuse to treat their child. Then she reached into her drawer and pulled out a how-to-buy-a-helmet spec sheet that included some nice discount coupons good at just about any of the local bike shops and discount stores. Pretty cool!

    That is fantastic.

    Hope the doctor also stops treating any kids that their parents will not sign a contract agreeing to put the kids on a vegetarian diet and prohibiting deserts. Maybe she could also mandate putting SPF 95 sunscreen on the kids every morning, even rainy days just in case the sun comes out later. How about a contract that parents only buy Volvos since they are the safest cars. How about a contract that requires each parent to put a $1,000 water filter system in their homes. And certainly the doctor would like to see the kids toes protected, so parents you need to sign a contact that your kids will only wear steel toed boots and never be allowed to go outside the house barefoot. We all know that mosquitoes carry disease, so each kid should be covered in netting to protect them each time they go outside.

  14. #14
    kipuka explorer bkrownd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hilo Town, East Hawai'i
    My Bikes
    1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36
    Posts
    3,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was visiting my mother's place last week and the kids called me an "old fart" because I wore a bicycle helmet. They said "nobody wears those anymore!" Good thing I'm immune to teenage peer pressure in my old age.
    --
    -=- '05 Jamis Nova -=- '04 Fuji Absolute -=- '94 Trek 820 -=- '77 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36 -=-
    Friends don't let friends use brifters.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 16 and i wear a helmet... and i get so much stick for it, i stop at school and all the other kids start on about the helmet "being for babies". It is so stupid, I went out once and my mum made me wear one. I fell off and broke my arm, my helmet was smashed. Afterwards i realised that that would have been my head. Now i never go out without one. Yer, i think i'm immune to the peer pressures now too....

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah! i even have arm braces, but i never wear them... i kinda like the pain.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes challenge them to see whos head is harder. I really would like to show people the benefits of wearing a helmet. Oh yeah, they normally finish up unconcious.

    I'm gonna stop now

  18. #18
    Gravel for Breakfast
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Inside my scabs
    My Bikes
    Jake
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI
    That is fantastic.

    Hope the doctor also stops treating any kids that their parents will not sign a contract agreeing to put the kids on a vegetarian diet and prohibiting deserts. Maybe she could also mandate putting SPF 95 sunscreen on the kids every morning, even rainy days just in case the sun comes out later. How about a contract that parents only buy Volvos since they are the safest cars. How about a contract that requires each parent to put a $1,000 water filter system in their homes. And certainly the doctor would like to see the kids toes protected, so parents you need to sign a contact that your kids will only wear steel toed boots and never be allowed to go outside the house barefoot. We all know that mosquitoes carry disease, so each kid should be covered in netting to protect them each time they go outside.
    Simple rule for effective sarcasmóless is more. Here, watch this:

    It's good to see that living in the tropics keeps you so relaxed.
    Sin after sin I have endured, but the wounds I bear are the wounds of love.

  19. #19
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Richard
    I know a bicycle will not go the speed of a "dirt bike" but fall once the wrong way and it's over- -the father should see that once and the helmet would be on before a leg goes over the bike..I will never for get it..
    Bikes can go as fast as you want them to. Mountain descents 90kph+.

  20. #20
    HWS
    HWS is offline
    Fuji Shill HWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    WPAFB, OH
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had a helmet as a kid (41 now). My buddies and I did our own imitations of Evel Kneivel and never got hurt too bad either. Now that I'm older and wiser, My son has always and will always wear a helmet, as do I.

    As a matter of fact, my son got "pulled over" by the cops many times and was given a certificate for a Happy Meal or a DQ Ice Cream for wearing it.

    Now it's a habit for him.

  21. #21
    Meow! my58vw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverside, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
    Posts
    6,025
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    Oh, and I always wear a seat belt when in a moving vehicle and always wear a helmet on the bike.
    I do not have to wear a seat belt in my car (58 bug) so does that mean I do not have to wear a helmet (j/k) ?

    Any parent nowdays should have the common sense to put a helmet on their kid, enough said!
    Just your average club rider... :)

  22. #22
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoana
    skydive69,

    All the posts I have read from you are very condescending. Aren't you quite the internet warrior. What a disgrace to the human race.
    Think he's bad? Try getting on my bad side.
    His comment was a joke - you know ?

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had a helmet until I had been riding for like 5 years (I am 19 now). I didn't start until I started riding on the highway.

    I only wear my helmet about half the time -- only when I'm on the road. I don't bother when I'm just riding in my yard or on campus.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never where a helmet either. Noone ever even suggested it to me until a year ago - and I have been riding bikes for sixteen years. Are some better than others? For instance, if a normal bike helmet is good, wouldn't a motorcycle helmet be better? It seems like they wouldn't make that much of a difference, but then Mad Mike knows better from experience. . .

  25. #25
    Senior Member oldskoolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my58vw
    I do not have to wear a seat belt in my car (58 bug) so does that mean I do not have to wear a helmet (j/k) ?

    Any parent nowdays should have the common sense to put a helmet on their kid, enough said!
    '58? mmm, I miss my '62 Cal look.

    I knew this thread would do this...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •