Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-06, 03:34 PM   #1
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
DOG ...is my co-pilot

Resistance training ? Obedience training ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogbike.JPG (82.6 KB, 154 views)
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 05:58 PM   #2
ryanz4
The City Cyclist
 
ryanz4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Province of Niagara
Bikes: Can't remember the name...I painted over it.
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like he is well behaved back there. My Corgi would love it if I made something for her to sit in.

Last edited by ryanz4; 04-22-06 at 09:22 AM.
ryanz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 06:02 PM   #3
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Resistance training ? Obedience training ?

[sappy]

AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

[/sappy]



That really is cute, though. He looks so well behaved!

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 06:57 PM   #4
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Resistance training ? Obedience training ?
I'll have to show the wife that pic! Do you mind if I swipe it?
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 06:59 PM   #5
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to post the pic in my cycling blogs as well. If you give permission, I will, but if not, I won't. Up to you!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 10:49 PM   #6
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanz4
Looks like he is well behaved back there. My Corgi would love it if I made something for her to sit in.
He seems to like it.

He has a four point connection clipped to his collar like four short leashes, he can just about get his collar to the edge, but he can lie down and stand up. He does that "dog out the car window thing " looking forward when we are moving. I guess that's a good thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by koffee brown
That really is cute, though. He looks so well behaved!
Thanks, I agree.
This is the response from 100% of the ladies and more than 50% of the guys. I can't go a block without someone wanting to talk to me. Yesterday a lady in a car rolled down the car window and slowed down to tell me that. It's very entertaining.
Ride the Litespeed top of the line bike with all good stuff on it down a well travelled bike path and two or three people notice in 25 miles, maybe one person comments or no one does. The dog..every block I get a comment. Racers, on training rides slow down to say hi! That means something, but what?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to post the pic in my cycling blogs as well.
Help yourself. I have a larger higher res picture if you want it. His name is Bailey, it's a 1970's Schwinn "Town and Country" I restored.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 11:06 PM   #7
Sir Lunch-a-lot
Senior Member
 
Sir Lunch-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Bikes: Customized Sekine
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here I am, looking at your pic, and all I can say to myself is "That's a small front sprocket"...

Very cool, by the way. I used to take my cat for bike rides, have her sit on my shoulders, every so often she' slip off and be dangling by her leash inches above the road. I have since wisened up, do not worry. She no longer goes on bike rides with me. Although, I guess she could in a bicycle basket like that if she so desired...
Sir Lunch-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 11:41 PM   #8
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lunch-a-lot
Here I am, looking at your pic, and all I can say to myself is "That's a small front sprocket"...
Yes it is. It's a single speed and the old bikes were not geared for a good spin at a reasonable speed. Now I spin out at about 14 mph. 10 mph is a nice easy spin, and I can go up hills with over 100lbs of load in the trike (the dog is only 25 lbs.). 10 mph is plenty fast with the dog. No hot rodding with the dog. Care is needed with a coaster brake on only one back wheel and a front brake.


When I broke my toe I had a zap motor on it and two car batteries in the basket. It would hold 16 mph for about an hour.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 04:57 AM   #9
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's up on my blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
He seems to like it.

He has a four point connection clipped to his collar like four short leashes, he can just about get his collar to the edge, but he can lie down and stand up. He does that "dog out the car window thing " looking forward when we are moving. I guess that's a good thing.




Thanks, I agree.
This is the response from 100% of the ladies and more than 50% of the guys. I can't go a block without someone wanting to talk to me. Yesterday a lady in a car rolled down the car window and slowed down to tell me that. It's very entertaining.
Ride the Litespeed top of the line bike with all good stuff on it down a well travelled bike path and two or three people notice in 25 miles, maybe one person comments or no one does. The dog..every block I get a comment. Racers, on training rides slow down to say hi! That means something, but what?




Help yourself. I have a larger higher res picture if you want it. His name is Bailey, it's a 1970's Schwinn "Town and Country" I restored.
Feel free to drop by and check it out. I think you'll enjoy the post. Here's my blog.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 10:53 AM   #10
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
"We" did 17 miles last night with four "rest stops" last night. The dog is wiped out, I'm ready to keep going. I think he has never had so much fresh air in the face for so long, and had lots of things to look to keep him interested, and lots of attention from others. He had to take a nap.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 04:57 PM   #11
yantoTwenty
Junior Member
 
yantoTwenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thats inspiring ............. Just got to try it with my Jack Russel "RIPPER" this weekend. Picking up 2 trikes tomorrow. Tried him in a basket on the carrier on a Raleigh Twenty last Sunday .......... He stayed in but he really crapped himself.
yantoTwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 08:06 AM   #12
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantoTwenty
Thats inspiring ............. Just got to try it with my Jack Russel "RIPPER" this weekend. Picking up 2 trikes tomorrow. Tried him in a basket on the carrier on a Raleigh Twenty last Sunday .......... He stayed in but he really crapped himself.
What a perfect name for a Jack Russel It kind of fits the personality too.

I started out with short trips of three or four blocks to a place where he really likes to explore. I sort of worked up to it slowly. Friday we did about 12 miles with a stop about every 3 miles just in case he did need a break. He did need one of them. When we stop I give him enough time to "decide" if he needs to go.

When I went to take him out of the basket at home he lay down and curled up as if to stay? If it works out can you post some pictures?
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 05:24 PM   #13
yantoTwenty
Junior Member
 
yantoTwenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RIPPER The Jack Russell

YEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA Got the Trikes today Not in great condition but I reckon I am up to the rebuild - Modding - etc. Will have one of them roadworthy tomorrow and will test Ripper out on a short 5-6 mile ride.
Will def. post some pics of him and the rest of the family on a ride. Got this silly urge to get a WWI Flying Helmet for him, but first things first lets get him used to being my co-pilot. Already sat him in my chair and pointed out Bailey and given him a pre flight briefing. He took it all in, licked me, perked his ears up and then ran to the kitchen to stock up on rations. Kick off will be at 09.30 hours tomorrow we have synchronised watches and so forth ............. Will keep you posted ...........Yanto Twenty
yantoTwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 06:01 PM   #14
MarkS
Avatar out of order.
 
MarkS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North of the border, just
Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What? No helmet?
__________________
Cars kill 45,000 Americans every year.
This is like losing a war every year, except without the parades.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 08:00 PM   #15
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantoTwenty
YEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA Got the Trikes today Not in great condition but I reckon I am up to the rebuild - Modding - etc. Will have one of them roadworthy tomorrow and will test Ripper out on a short 5-6 mile ride.
Will def. post some pics of him and the rest of the family on a ride. Got this silly urge to get a WWI Flying Helmet for him, but first things first lets get him used to being my co-pilot. Already sat him in my chair and pointed out Bailey and given him a pre flight briefing. He took it all in, licked me, perked his ears up and then ran to the kitchen to stock up on rations. Kick off will be at 09.30 hours tomorrow we have synchronised watches and so forth ............. Will keep you posted ...........Yanto Twenty
Sounds like he's ready to go. I thought about the same helmet and some goggles.

I put another basket under the "pasenger compartment" for water, a bowl, some dog treats, and a tool kit. You can attach just about any kind of a bag to the back of the trike if you want. I got a handlebar bike bag too and it fits in front of the basket behind the seat perfectly.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 11:09 AM   #16
pel-o-ton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gotta love having DOG as your copilot! I was joking with my wife several years ago about putting one of my dogs in a trailer, mainly for the purpose of resistance training - no hills around here to speak of, thought 45 lbs of dog and 25 lbs of trailer might do the trick. Anyone who knows my American Eskimo Cooper understands that he hates to be left behind, so he would be the logical fit. Came home from work one day, wife presented me with a kid trailer she had bought from one of her friends for peanuts, and told me to have at it.

Cooper absolutley loves going for rides - found out a month or two later that one of my riding partners was bringing his 11 year old son on our annual 300 + mile ride (DALMAC) from Lansing MI to Mackinac City, MI. As we had chosen the 5 day route, averaging 60 - 65 miles a day, my game plan changed dramatically. Cooper would accomany me on the ride. A handleful of organized rides, increasing in length, proved that he was willing, and that I was willing and able.

A few photos of Cooper in his coupe.... )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small_Trailer.JPG (70.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg small_cooper.JPG (96.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg small_rearview.JPG (78.9 KB, 25 views)
pel-o-ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 11:49 AM   #17
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pel-o-ton
Gotta love having DOG as your copilot! I was joking with my wife several years ago about putting one of my dogs in a trailer, mainly for the purpose of resistance training - no hills around here to speak of, thought 45 lbs of dog and 25 lbs of trailer might do the trick. Anyone who knows my American Eskimo Cooper understands that he hates to be left behind, so he would be the logical fit. Came home from work one day, wife presented me with a kid trailer she had bought from one of her friends for peanuts, and told me to have at it.

Cooper absolutley loves going for rides - found out a month or two later that one of my riding partners was bringing his 11 year old son on our annual 300 + mile ride (DALMAC) from Lansing MI to Mackinac City, MI. As we had chosen the 5 day route, averaging 60 - 65 miles a day, my game plan changed dramatically. Cooper would accomany me on the ride. A handleful of organized rides, increasing in length, proved that he was willing, and that I was willing and able.

A few photos of Cooper in his coupe.... )

Coopers coupe is cool.

How far have you taken him? What is a comfortable cruising speed on flat ground? Do you stop for him to get out every so often?
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 01:25 PM   #18
pel-o-ton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First couple of rides taught me that as long as Cooper knew he was going to be in a trailer for a while, everything would be ok, otherwise it there was a better than 50-50 chance he'd mess himself in the trailer. Standard operating procedure now is to get all set to go, ride 5 miles or so, then stop so Cooper could relieve himself. This works very well. Cooper's longest single day ride to date is 81 miles. On flat ground we can do 13 - 15 mph pretty much all day, stopping every hour or so to let him stretch his legs, get a drink, and a treat.
pel-o-ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 03:57 PM   #19
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pel-o-ton
First couple of rides taught me that as long as Cooper knew he was going to be in a trailer for a while, everything would be ok, otherwise it there was a better than 50-50 chance he'd mess himself in the trailer. Standard operating procedure now is to get all set to go, ride 5 miles or so, then stop so Cooper could relieve himself. This works very well. Cooper's longest single day ride to date is 81 miles. On flat ground we can do 13 - 15 mph pretty much all day, stopping every hour or so to let him stretch his legs, get a drink, and a treat.
Thanks.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 08:57 AM   #20
yantoTwenty
Junior Member
 
yantoTwenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sunday morning came, Up at 07.30 breakfast for everyone....... 3 expectant faces ... the sky was a gloomy grey colour, the rain was pouring down steadily, Are we going Dad ?? What time will it stop raining ?? Will Mummy ride in the wet?? Is Ripper really going to come with us???
Avoided the wife's eyes and grabbed the keys to the bike locks, maintenance oil and the bike toolkit box.
Safety check of all the bikes and the hastily readied Dutch Trike picked up the day before. Ripper watched from the safety of the dry porch the children were watching from the front windows. I got soaked, changed the seat of the Trike adjusted the brakes and cursed 'cos there was no control for the shimano 3 speed hub. Lashed on a fold up basket from the shed and called Ripper forward. He didn't want to get in, looked at me sideways, pleaded not to be forced. The compassionate guy inside me surfaced ....
I picked him up and said " a deal is a deal, you will be my co-pilot!!!". I placed him in the rear and off we went around the block. The 500m trial run worked, he stayed in and he wasn't shaking like a leaf.
The rain eased off and we were all ready for the off. The other halfs face was a picture LOL, she really didn't want to go !!!
We did a 8 mile gentle cycle along the sea paths, almost everyone we met thought he looked cute and happy and stopped for a quick chat. We will double the ride next Sunday and try to get out a couple of times this week if the weather stays OK. Must find somewhere that has a control cable set up for the hub, a change of gear would have made it an easier ride in parts.

Great idea to put another basket on the underneath 2manybikes, will do it this week.
Also like coopers' set up, will keep an eye out for a trailer.

Well here it is .... a Pic of Ripper on the back of the newly acquired Trike.
He did eventually enjoy the ride, we stopped a couple of times to let him get his land legs back and go about his doggy business. If the pics fail I'll try to upload again.
Yantotwenty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cycling rips .pdf (43.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by yantoTwenty; 04-24-06 at 09:05 AM.
yantoTwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 10:00 AM   #21
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantoTwenty
Sunday morning came, Up at 07.30 breakfast for everyone....... 3 expectant faces ... the sky was a gloomy grey colour, the rain was pouring down steadily, Are we going Dad ?? What time will it stop raining ?? Will Mummy ride in the wet?? Is Ripper really going to come with us???
Avoided the wife's eyes and grabbed the keys to the bike locks, maintenance oil and the bike toolkit box.
Safety check of all the bikes and the hastily readied Dutch Trike picked up the day before. Ripper watched from the safety of the dry porch the children were watching from the front windows. I got soaked, changed the seat of the Trike adjusted the brakes and cursed 'cos there was no control for the shimano 3 speed hub. Lashed on a fold up basket from the shed and called Ripper forward. He didn't want to get in, looked at me sideways, pleaded not to be forced. The compassionate guy inside me surfaced ....
I picked him up and said " a deal is a deal, you will be my co-pilot!!!". I placed him in the rear and off we went around the block. The 500m trial run worked, he stayed in and he wasn't shaking like a leaf.
The rain eased off and we were all ready for the off. The other halfs face was a picture LOL, she really didn't want to go !!!
We did a 8 mile gentle cycle along the sea paths, almost everyone we met thought he looked cute and happy and stopped for a quick chat. We will double the ride next Sunday and try to get out a couple of times this week if the weather stays OK. Must find somewhere that has a control cable set up for the hub, a change of gear would have made it an easier ride in parts.

Great idea to put another basket on the underneath 2manybikes, will do it this week.
Also like coopers' set up, will keep an eye out for a trailer.

Well here it is .... a Pic of Ripper on the back of the newly acquired Trike.
He did eventually enjoy the ride, we stopped a couple of times to let him get his land legs back and go about his doggy business. If the pics fail I'll try to upload again.
Yantotwenty
Thanks for the nice report. The pictures came in fine. It looks like the basket is a good size for Ripper.

I don't know about your basket, but Bailey could fit his feet through the side openings of mine so I covered the sides to make sure he could not get his feet close to the spokes. If I did not have him leashed in I would have made a shield between the inside of the fender and the basket for the same reason. He did put his foot over the basket once before he was leashed in. He has not done it since.

I like your trike, it will be nice when you get the 3 speed working. I found narrow 90 psi tires for my wheels, that helps too. I would love to hear how it goes when the transmission works.
I'm always interested in anything you have to say about your rides with Ripper and the "Ripperrider" trike. I'm going to print out your pictures for my family to see. Thanks! Have fun!!

Where are the photos taken? Nice path.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 12:17 PM   #22
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
Thread Starter
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
For yantoTwenty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM6564 (Medium).JPG (75.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM6566 (Medium).JPG (94.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM6567 (Medium).JPG (87.0 KB, 13 views)
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 06:50 AM   #23
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!
 
chephy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes:
Posts: 4,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Super-duper cool! And obscenely cute. I bet the dogs love it.
chephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 PM.