I recently lost 25 lbs and want to get back on the bike to add to my exercise. A million years ago I had a Trek Antelope (800 something or other) that I liked well enough. Got rid of it when I had kids, and now all the kids have bikes and we've started riding on our camping trips and around the neighborhood. Last year, so we could all get bikes, the wife and I got cheap bikes at WalMart (I know, I know) and I paid less than $100 for some Next Avalon cruiser/hybrid type bike. It's a hunk-a-junk, with one crank that's always wobbled since the day I got it...and I'm ready to get back to a better bike.
That being said there are only a couple bike shops around and they pretty much sell Trek, Giant/Specialized, or REI up the road sells Marin bikes. I keep seeing the Trek FX or 7000 series pop up, but wanted to get some input on my particular situation, which is.
1. I get the kid bike seat. Got a two year old in the seat behind mine, which has to get mounted on the new bike.
2. Would also like it to double as a commuter bike, less than 3 miles to the office. I can strap my backpack into the seat, so don't necessarily need saddlebags (or whatever they are called these days.)
3. Will mostly be roads, or the occasional well worn trail when RV camping.
4. I'm 37, 230 lbs, 5' 10" and will use it for mostly lighter riding, to get some exercise, and haul the kid around when he wants a ride.
5. I'd love to spend $500 if possible.
6. I hate seats that hurt my butt.
Thanks in advance. I've been reading here all night...what a great resource.
I've lost 26.4 lbs so far, 11.6 left to reach goal.