Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Suggestions On How To Carry A Very Large Revolver?

    With the kids and work all requiring more and more time I'm finding it tough to get in as much recreational time as I'd like. Last deer season I really didn't get enough trigger time going in and hope to change that this year. The problem is I just don't feel as good if I don't get in a certain amount of saddle time. What I normally like to do is get home from work and head out on a bike ride around the countryside. This is great but no trigger time. This year I'm thinking of bringing my deer hunting revolver along and hunting any varmints that I might see during my ride.

    The revolver is large - A Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag, 7 1/2 inch barrel - and it's scoped. Way to large for my handlebar bag. In anticipation of this activity I restored my first mountain bike which is from the 80's and is actually a great frame for just tooling around. Very long and slow handling - almost feels like a tandem. Anyway, the bike turned out great and now I've just got to work out how to carry the ***.

    I'm considering some type of pannier or maybe a rack trunk. I don't need instant access but it does need to be convenient as I expect to make several stalks a night on the chucks. Anybody doing anything similar? Any suggestions on how to carry the ***?

  2. #2
    Up on the Down Side CyLowe97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago(ish)
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to declare "troll," but see that you are from Western Michigan.

    Don't you need a permit and for the animal to be in season? And where the heck would you put the animal once you've cleaned it, especially that a "deer hunting revolver" could take down?


  3. #3
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a troll, just looking for some ideas. Don't usually eat the chucks (though they can be eaten) so no game to carry home. All legal with proper licenses, permits, and landowners permission. A .44 mag is pretty short range and low velocity anyway as varminters go but I may load it light for more shooting comfort. The point is really to use the same *** I'll be deer hunting with in the fall to get more used to it.

    I don't have any recent experience with panniers and all the weight would be on one side. It's heavy as revolvers go - about 4 pounds for the *** alone.

  4. #4
    Up on the Down Side CyLowe97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago(ish)
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phinney
    I don't have any recent experience with panniers and all the weight would be on one side. It's heavy as revolvers go - about 4 pounds for the *** alone.
    Balance it out with 4 pounds of marinating sauces and a can of sterno in the other pannier. Bingo! Instant roadside protein!

    (sorry... trollish/flippant response from me, but it just seems really an odd thing to want to carry a weapon on a ride, especially one not for self defense purposes.)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern VT
    My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Posts
    1,552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've carried an Encore singleshot with 12" barrel in a large cross shoulder holster;
    i turn it so it is more on my back when riding, then move it to the front when
    in the field. sort of like a messenger bag. i did try a messenger bag, but could not
    get the firearm to sit in it just right. i suppose i could have sewn or rivited the holster
    inside the messenger bag; perhaps that would have worked, but it may have been
    considered a concealed weapon. ride on an empty chamber.
    ps.
    is this a type of "road hunting" ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew I couldn't be the only one to do this! It just makes too much sense.

    I do have a bandoleer holster that I use for deer hunting but I have to carry concealed on the road. I also want to be able to get some good exercise and I don't think a shoulder holster with enough clothes to conceal this thing would be comfortable on a hard ride. Right now I'm leaning toward a saddlebag and carrying the *** in a holster in the saddlebag. Seems like a rack trunk would ride a little rougher since the contents rest right on the rack rather than being suspended. Maybe a rack trunk with some foam in the bottom? Probably best if I take the *** to a bike shop and try the fit in some different bags.

    Not so much road hunting as road spotting. I'm planning on riding until I see a chuck and then stalking to a good spot to take him from. Not a bad way to unwind after work but it will mostly help me get used to hunting with this revolver. I'm probably going to look for the lightest bullets I can find and load them to about the same ballistics as my deer load.

  7. #7
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyLowe97
    I was about to declare "troll," but see that you are from Western Michigan.
    Yeah, things are a little different in these parts.

    How about a a messenger bag or backpack?
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

  8. #8
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think a frame bag should work well for this.

    Something like this:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ku=6799&brand=

    I would probably pad the sides with sheets of foam to protect the scope, and the bottom to protect the muzzle.
    Last edited by CommuterRun; 04-07-07 at 05:23 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think of a frame bag. It might not be big enough and from the picture I have to give up a water bottle but definitely worth checking out. If it works it will be a great solution. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked out the Nashbar frame bag and it looks to be just a little too small. An inch larger in each principle dimension would do it. I ride a big frame so there should be plenty of room for a larger one. Any suggestions?

    I could go with a messenger bag or backpack but I just don't like think it would be comfortable enough.

  11. #11
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,675
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought would be to buy one of those metal ****** boxes. Make hard foam inserts to hold the *** securely and fasten the box onto a rack. One with a key lock would be nice. They used to be cheap.
    One on just the side of the rack is OK, you can get used to it. Or up on top of the rack.

    The 7.5 inch barrel might be tight, I fit a 6" S+W .44 in one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  12. #12
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks 2many. That's actually the first thing I thought of. I have a dry box which is very similar to an ammo box but it's too big to work on the rack top and too small to hold this revolver. It's funny how big it is when trying to pack on a bike because it sure seems handy compared to a *****. If I removed the scope it would all get much easier but my eyes and iron sights don't get along like they used to.

  13. #13
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,012
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Carrying it openly though, just might reduce those "buzzings" by angry motorists

    Flip side, it might make the police a bit nervous as well!

    EDIT: How about a trunk bag? Put some inserts in it with a sculpted cavity to padd the ******/scope properly for protection and this should also make for quite a bit of crash protection as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by phinney
    I knew I couldn't be the only one to do this! It just makes too much sense.

    I do have a bandoleer holster that I use for deer hunting but I have to carry concealed on the road. I also want to be able to get some good exercise and I don't think a shoulder holster with enough clothes to conceal this thing would be comfortable on a hard ride. Right now I'm leaning toward a saddlebag and carrying the *** in a holster in the saddlebag. Seems like a rack trunk would ride a little rougher since the contents rest right on the rack rather than being suspended. Maybe a rack trunk with some foam in the bottom? Probably best if I take the *** to a bike shop and try the fit in some different bags.

    Not so much road hunting as road spotting. I'm planning on riding until I see a chuck and then stalking to a good spot to take him from. Not a bad way to unwind after work but it will mostly help me get used to hunting with this revolver. I'm probably going to look for the lightest bullets I can find and load them to about the same ballistics as my deer load.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  14. #14
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phinney
    I checked out the Nashbar frame bag and it looks to be just a little too small. An inch larger in each principle dimension would do it. I ride a big frame so there should be plenty of room for a larger one. Any suggestions?

    I could go with a messenger bag or backpack but I just don't like think it would be comfortable enough.
    Bet'cha, if you look around, you could find a tailor or cobbler, or somebody that just likes to sew, that could make a frame bag to your specifications and material. There's not much to the design.

  15. #15
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some probably would give me a wider birth with a hulking stainless scoped .44 mag riding between my shoulder blades. I can hear the cell phones opening now.

    The frame bag was a good idea but holding the *** in the frame it would have to be a very large bag. A custom one isn't too bad an idea. I could try to get my wife to use that expensive sewing machine I bought her - oops, better not go there.

    I think I've come up with a pretty simple solution that might work well though. If I just attach a ****** case to the rear rack I think I'll be all set. Turns out MTM makes one that looks to be just the right size and uses a compression foam that should keep the *** from moving around at all. Still requires fabricating an attachment system but hopefully I can come up with something convenient. I bet the local woodchucks have no idea...



    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
    Carrying it openly though, just might reduce those "buzzings" by angry motorists

    Flip side, it might make the police a bit nervous as well!

    EDIT: How about a trunk bag? Put some inserts in it with a sculpted cavity to padd the ******/scope properly for protection and this should also make for quite a bit of crash protection as well!

  16. #16
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phinney
    The frame bag was a good idea but holding the *** in the frame it would have to be a very large bag. A custom one isn't too bad an idea. I could try to get my wife to use that expensive sewing machine I bought her - oops, better not go there.
    I wouldn't recommend it. Besides the potential marital landmine, sewing things like tents, backpacks, panniers, and what you might be looking for takes different skillsets than more conventional, household sewing. Also, despite how much her sewing machine cost, chances are a heavy-duty, industrial machine would be necessary to sew the heavier materials such a case/bag would need.
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  17. #17
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,675
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phinney
    Some probably would give me a wider birth with a hulking stainless scoped .44 mag riding between my shoulder blades. I can hear the cell phones opening now.

    The frame bag was a good idea but holding the *** in the frame it would have to be a very large bag. A custom one isn't too bad an idea. I could try to get my wife to use that expensive sewing machine I bought her - oops, better not go there.

    I think I've come up with a pretty simple solution that might work well though. If I just attach a ****** case to the rear rack I think I'll be all set. Turns out MTM makes one that looks to be just the right size and uses a compression foam that should keep the *** from moving around at all. Still requires fabricating an attachment system but hopefully I can come up with something convenient. I bet the local woodchucks have no idea...
    That sounds perfect. You can drill and bolt any normal pannier mounting system to a hard box if you want to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  18. #18
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,056
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually carried a large frame .45 auto in a rack pack like the Nashbar above, but wasn't happy with it. Even though the bag was bigger than that photo, the *** barely fit and it tended to tilt to one side and banged against my knee when riding.

    Why not just toss the holstered *** in a daypack or large camelback?

    Or, handlebar bag which would be quasi-suspended.

  19. #19
    Old Enough to Know Better WalterMitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bandolier with a 2-3XL T-shirt over the whole assembly would do just fine. Make it a Hi-Vis color so people can't stand to look at it up close and you'll be good to go.

    Works pretty good with an M4 length AR as well.
    Youth we got, what we need is a fountain of Smart!

    "Does it ever occur to you that I am sometimes thinking?"

  20. #20
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity...do you shoot the deer and just leave it there? No, I'm not against hunting, but leaving a dead deer on someone's property to rot and stink up the place seems a bit odd.

    /from California and don't know any better.

  21. #21
    Dolce far niente bigbossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    10,809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I'm out boar hunting with a scoped *****, I sometimes carry my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 as well. I use an Uncle Mikes shoulder rig to keep it handy but secure and out of the way. Works great - loops over both shoulders/arm pits and attaches to your pants belt on one side.

    Looks something like this:



    Or this might work:

    http://www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate...catky2=2000326
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, its the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

    S. J. Perelman

  22. #22
    . bbattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1991 Colnago Master, '06 Bianchi San Jose, 1987 Moulton Fuso, '80's Gardin Shred?, '82 John Howard(Dave Tesch)
    Posts
    11,616
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a scope on your revolver to hunt woodchucks? That seems a bit overkill to me.

    Anyways, I'd get a handlebar bag from Carradice and keep the revolver in its holster inside the bag. That way, it's easy to get to when you see a 'chuck by the road. Should be possible to secure the holster to the bag so the revolver doesn't end up pointing at you.

    Even better, get a front basket and mount the holster to it on the inside next to the handlebars. Very secure. I like having a bag to keep debris/moisture off the weapon, though.

    I have seen a ***** case attached to a front pannier and to the handlebars; for a Ruger .22

    Another hunter carries his 7mm on his back while riding fire lanes. If he gets a deer, he rides back home for the atv.


  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    1,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a *** to go hunting! What's wrong wi' chasing 'em to exhaustion, strangling 'em wi' your bare hands, skinning 'em wi' your teeth, then ripping a still warm piece of liver out and eating it raw?

    You young 'uns today are just big soft jessies.

  24. #24
    suppercomutter scott L R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Youngwood Pa
    My Bikes
    2000 kona fire mountian, 1988 Schwinn Tempo.
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got to say good choice on the firepower. I have a Super Blackhawk with 10.5 inch barell + 4X scope. 16 inches overall length, 6+ pounds loaded. I have never considered taking it on a ride.
    Park your car, pedal to work.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Bantam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
    Just out of curiosity...do you shoot the deer and just leave it there? No, I'm not against hunting, but leaving a dead deer on someone's property to rot and stink up the place seems a bit odd.

    /from California and don't know any better.
    Ok, no. The OP is currently using the ****** to hunt woodchucks and random assorted varmints. He is using his deer ***, a large revolver in this case, so he is well practiced when deer season arrives. That is several months down the road. Contrary to TV and the movies, shooting a ******* well is not an easy task. Practice is a huge help in shooting well, practice is a difficult thing for the OP. He is taking his revolver along so he can shoot any woodchucks he sees. He is shooting the chucks because the holes they dig are potentially deadly. They can cause a tractor to flip and livestock can have their legs broken from falling in the holes.
    The OP is likely using a ******* to hunt deer because the Michigan ***** season is rediculously short IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •