Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What's the youngest age for trailering a child???

    Hi,

    I have a 5 month old and a 3 1/2 year old and want to purchase a trailer to tow them around the local bike path.

    I'd like to know at what age can we start to bring along our youngest?

    Thanks in advance.
    Eric

  2. #2
    pj7
    pj7 is offline
    On Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rule of thumb is when their neck muscles are strong enough to support their head properly for those conditions. For most children it is around 12 months. I was fortunate, my son started crawling at 4 months and walking just past 6. So by 10 months he was able to be toted around in the trailer. Some children develope physically faster than others and your decision should be based on that.
    I am a sig Virus. Please put me in your sig so that I can continue to replicate.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central MA
    My Bikes
    Early or mid '90s Giant Nutra women's hybrid
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert on this topic (don't have kids yet, so haven't had to be) but the recommendation I have always seen is 12 months, for the reason mentioned above (kid has to be able to hold his head up). I think the issue is the bumpy ride they get in the trailer; the head would get jiggled around quite a bit if the neck were not strong enough. That said, why has nobody designed a trailer setup that can be configured to accommodate a car seat or two and has some sort of suspension to absorb those bumps, so younger babies can SAFELY ride in it while parents do errands etc. on the bike? For all the concern lately about how dependent our society is on cars and how bad this is for the environment, not to mention the unhealthy sedentary lifestyle of most Americans (everything is designed so that we can be as inactive as possible!!), there doesn't seem to be much attention to making feasible alternatives for people with babies and small children. Let's face it, given current options (assuming the trip is too long to simply walk with the kids in the stroller), driving is often the only practical choice for somebody with an infant along for the ride. It would be great if that could be changed.

  4. #4
    Senior Mumbler steve2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    Giant Boldershock (2000), Ridgeback Voyage (2010)
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's some pretty good advice on this thread Sleeping in a child trailer

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolt
    That said, why has nobody designed a trailer setup that can be configured to accommodate a car seat or two and has some sort of suspension to absorb those bumps, so younger babies can SAFELY ride in it while parents do errands etc. on the bike?
    Trailers are not as wide some would like. You can get two kids in them but the fit can sometimes be tight. A child carrier can fit in a trailer but you would not be able to fit a second child in the trailer. There is at least one manufacturer that has trailers with suspension. All of these features cost money. Expect to pay $400+ for a double trailer w/suspension. Add in the possibility of a trailer brake, attachments and you can get up to the $600 range. Some understandbly don't want to or can't spend that much on a recreational product.

    As for doing errands via bike, I'm all for it but me and others like me don't have the time to do the things we should do as it is. Running errands on a bike while relaxing and enjoyable, can put me farther behind in other areas.

  6. #6
    Faster but still slow slowandsteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    My Bikes
    Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
    Posts
    5,979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masiman
    Trailers are not as wide some would like. You can get two kids in them but the fit can sometimes be tight. A child carrier can fit in a trailer but you would not be able to fit a second child in the trailer. There is at least one manufacturer that has trailers with suspension. All of these features cost money. Expect to pay $400+ for a double trailer w/suspension. Add in the possibility of a trailer brake, attachments and you can get up to the $600 range. Some understandbly don't want to or can't spend that much on a recreational product.

    As for doing errands via bike, I'm all for it but me and others like me don't have the time to do the things we should do as it is. Running errands on a bike while relaxing and enjoyable, can put me farther behind in other areas.

    If you ran errands with the bike instead of just riding around in circles with no purpose other than recreation you would be saving time. I do it all the time. 1 hour of riding for fun plus 1 hour of errands with the car = 2 hours, but if you run errands with the bike and skip the recreation ride it might take you 1.5 hours total.
    "Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central MA
    My Bikes
    Early or mid '90s Giant Nutra women's hybrid
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady
    If you ran errands with the bike instead of just riding around in circles with no purpose other than recreation you would be saving time. I do it all the time. 1 hour of riding for fun plus 1 hour of errands with the car = 2 hours, but if you run errands with the bike and skip the recreation ride it might take you 1.5 hours total.
    That's pretty much how I look at it. Get your errands done and get your exercise at the same time--very efficient. As for the previous comment about the cost of a well-equipped trailer, that's certainly a valid issue, as is the fact that they often aren't wide enough (which shouldn't be too hard to remedy--what about a configuration where it's longer instead of wider and one kid rides behind the other?).

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady
    If you ran errands with the bike instead of just riding around in circles with no purpose other than recreation you would be saving time. I do it all the time. 1 hour of riding for fun plus 1 hour of errands with the car = 2 hours, but if you run errands with the bike and skip the recreation ride it might take you 1.5 hours total.
    I'm glad you can make the numbers work for you. Your "If" assumption is presumptuous if your comment was directed to me. I do not get to ride in circles for an hour. If I had that kind of window to do rec riding, I most certainly would and I would not run errands during that time. But that is a symptom of my responsibilities. Errands by bike is just not practical for everyone for any number of reasons. For those that can and do run errands by bike, I applaud you.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow "crawling at 4 months and walking just past 6"

    Sure my 5 month old is already "running" forget walking

    Thanks for the advice.
    Eric

  10. #10
    Bicycle built for 5 tuolumne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    72.48007W, 41.94016N
    My Bikes
    '94 Mongoose IBOC Comp / '00 Burley Duet w/ Piccolo & D'Lite / '05 Redline Conquest Disc-R
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opinions vary, do what you feel comfortable with. We strapped the infant's car seat into our trailers and this worked well. This spring we have gotten rid of the car seat for our youngest (11 months) and she is fine with the five point harness. Each child has been different; ours all walked very young and we felt their neck muscles were developed enough around 10 months or so to be out of the rear facing car seat.
    Would rather be at 119.49079W, 37.76618N

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •