I've been asked by a novice to give some tips on riding in traffic with a child trailer. I've ridden with trailers a lot but not so much in heavy traffic, I tend to avoid it.
Wondered if any of you good people would care to offer tips from your experience, or comment on mine...
1) Avoid traffic! Choose another quieter route, even if it is longer and hillier. You'll enjoy it more.
2) Choose a quieter time of day, or time when traffic is congested and slow.
3) Make yourself and trailer show - safety flag, baby on board sticker, safety arm, reflectors, flashing leds
4) Fit a mirror on your bike and use it to anticipate what's coming. Maybe even an air horn?
5) Ride defensively and out from the kerb, so you control when to let traffic pass (if it's safe to do so)
6) Pull over to let traffic pass from time to time if it's building up and they (or you) are getting frustrated
Welcome your thoughts... or links to others tips.
The Family Adventure Project