Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 379
  1. #251
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ksk> Can you provide a web link or
    ksk> additional info on the recall?
    ksk> What bike models? What rims?
    ksk> Is this an Electrea recall, or a
    ksk> recall from the rim manufacturer?

    I have no idea of the recall details; this is what was told to me by my local bike shop. The model was a townie 3s, presumably 2005 model year. The recalled rims were the ones that came with the bike.

  2. #252
    JRS
    JRS is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been away for a while I don't know the current status of the Electra wheel situation but based on personal experience with the Townie 24 I recently purchased for my wife I feel that I should warn Electra owners that the rash of flat tires that are being blamed on a misplaced low quality rim band are just a symptom of the real problem which is defective wheels that have had the nipple access holes in the rim floor punched (chopped?) WAY too big. The direct cause of the flats is that the huge holes cover the entire rim floor so that the proper size rim band cannot keep the tubes from blowing thru the jagged holes and being cut. While my background is civil rather than mechanical engineering my opinion is that hacking out this much metal has to compromise the structural integrity of the wheel. I urge anyone who has had flat tires or any sort of wheel- related problems to document them well and contact the shop where the bike was purchased as well as Electra. The danger here, as I see it, is that getting the bike back on the road is easy- just a matter of a sloppy double wrap of adhesive rim tape and a patch for the tube which ignores the real problem. I hope someone gets to the bottom of this before anybody grinds their face off on the asphalt when one of these mangled wheels folds.

  3. #253
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah, for all those who consider this thread a crass marketing ploy, based on all the n00bs that chime in on this thread, keep in mind that "Google" will bring you to this very thread if you type in "Electra Townie." A lot of people use "Google."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeforums
    Your rights end where another poster's feelings begin.

  4. #254
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to decide on which bike to get, either the Townie 3, Townie 21, Trek Sole 100 or the Giant Suede. I am very overweight, short and haven't been on a bike since I was a teenager. I just started working out and am looking for a bike to ride to and from work, about 1 mile with one slight hill. After building up my fitness level I would like to get into longer rides. Any suggestions on which bike would be best for me? Thanks

  5. #255
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt1920
    I am trying to decide on which bike to get, either the Townie 3, Townie 21, Trek Sole 100 or the Giant Suede. I am very overweight, short and haven't been on a bike since I was a teenager. I just started working out and am looking for a bike to ride to and from work, about 1 mile with one slight hill. After building up my fitness level I would like to get into longer rides. Any suggestions on which bike would be best for me? Thanks
    The only real difference between those bikes is some havederailleur gears and some have internal gear hubs. Internal gear hubs are a little heavier but far more trouble free, especially if you're new to cycling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeforums
    Your rights end where another poster's feelings begin.

  6. #256
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    krispistoferson,

    First off I like the Townie-- it's good bike (yes, I rode one) I'd tell anyone who has done a couple of test rides and likes the townie to pull the trigger and buy one.

    But Electra employees have been posting on this thread hyping their product. That's total BS. In fact it kind of smears the Townie's fine name-- it's a good bike that can stand all on it's own.

    And Electra is way over the top about the whole *flat footed technology* crap. I think newbies get suckered by the kind of sales pitch. The truth is that there are plenty of cruiser style bikes made with the same parts as the Townie. Ride a bunch of them, pick the one you like!

    Anybody thinking of buying a Townie should also ride a Breezer, one of those Dutch Treks, the new Fuji cruisers, a Kettler and various other comfort/commuter bikes. There are lots of cool bikes in this class.

    The last word about getting a bike is.... support. Will the bike shop you get your bike from stand behind there bike with great service? Because lower cost bikes are all made out of the same parts and even in same factories a lot of the time.... the brand of bike isn't really all that important. The level of support from the local shop is really what to shop for...

  7. #257
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    My Bikes
    Takara 10 spd, Felt F90, Felt Q720
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a Townie 7 today, dealer said it would be here in 2 days, I took my wife to a dealer in Damascus Va.(Home of the Creeper Trail) and she rode a Townie 3, came back grinning like a school girl, we will be trading her Giant Sedona LX in, it has sat in basement for 3 years.
    If this gets my wife on the trail with me it is a GREAT bike, sure she won't do 25 and 50 milers with me but it will be great to have her on a bike again.
    I will update soon on how things go.

  8. #258
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    My Bikes
    Takara 10 spd, Felt F90, Felt Q720
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the Townie was delivered on time, on inspection the bike appears to very nicely finished, nice paint, the fenders are a pearl white that looks great against the Berry Red. It came with a bottle of matching touch up paint, everything appears to be of good quality.
    The wife was gone when I got it home so I gotta take it for a ride, shake down ride for her safety right? boy now this is sure a horse of a different color! The forward pedal position is weird feeling but it does allow you to use some more upper body strength by pulling on the bars, not the bike for me but I think the wife will like it.
    Out for the first ride today, just a short 4 mile ride on a trail around a little lake near here, now my wife is riding for the first time in 3 years and enjoying herself, she feels more secure with the coaster brake and likes the gear range of the Nexus 7.
    Now what is wrong with this? Yes the bike was a little expensive, but not as much as a less expensive bike that ends up not getting ridden, so why all the bad mouthing about the Townie? The wife is happy, I'm happy the wife is happy and I have another riding partner.

  9. #259
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new "Bicycling" has an ad featuring Townies for kids: boys and girls models with 20 inch tires, and seatposts and stems with a wide range of adjustability. The combination of a seat position that permits full leg extention while pedaling and a "flat foot" when starting and stopping will make it much easier for kids to learn how to ride a bike.

    My nine year old nephew is a good bike rider, but he dislikes stopping and starting because of the difficulty of leaning over on just one foot, and then getting the bike going again. I wish these bikes had been available a year or two ago.


    The prices start at $180 for a one speed, and go up (and up and up). A $180 for a well-made bike that will fit for two or three years is a good deal. And, Electra bikes are built well, so a big sister can pass on an "almost like new" bike to little sister. A much better deal than buying a $50 bike that lasts six months.

  10. #260
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my Townie3.





    That boat ramp is almost exactly three miles from the house.

    I have found that 10 miles isn't too far to tow a trailer with the Townie.

    I have found that the canoe with all my stuff in it for a day of duck hunting and bass fishing is a looong and heeeavyyy trailer. The Townie does the best job of towing it, over my other four bikes. My road bike is pretty much a lost cause for this.

    With the Townie I can wear whatever I want for hunting and/or fishing and don't have to worry about changing clothes when I transition from the bike.

    When I first got this bike, my Dad, (70), tried it a few times. Then went out and bought his own. He now rides all over town rather than drive his full-size p/u for errands.

    Great bike Electra.

  11. #261
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got the Townie 3 on friday, as my to and from work bike. It took a little bit to get used to the geometry and that I couldn't backpedal because of the coaster brake, but all in all I'm pleased with it. It works better for towing my trailer than my MTB, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeforums
    Your rights end where another poster's feelings begin.

  12. #262
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krispistoferson
    I just got the Townie 3 on friday, as my to and from work bike. It took a little bit to get used to the geometry and that I couldn't backpedal because of the coaster brake, but all in all I'm pleased with it. It works better for towing my trailer than my MTB, too.
    So do you work for Electra, or what?

  13. #263
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's making a good commuter, all in all. I have been surprised by how maneuverable the Townie is, you wouldn't think it with that geometry. I'm pretty finicky about my derailleur-geared bikes,(I clean the drivetrain once a week,) and it's nice to have one less thing to worry about. I'm still getting used to the climbs, but it's a good workout.

  14. #264
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krispistoferson
    It's making a good commuter, all in all. I have been surprised by how maneuverable the Townie is, you wouldn't think it with that geometry. I'm pretty finicky about my derailleur-geared bikes,(I clean the drivetrain once a week,) and it's nice to have one less thing to worry about. I'm still getting used to the climbs, but it's a good workout.

    Are you still getting the PopRad ?

    I like the whole Electra principal. The RatFink stuff etc.......very Roth / 60's hotrod Kounter Kulture !
    The only bike my wife was ever totally blown away by was a pink Townie....

  15. #265
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun
    Here's my Townie3.





    That boat ramp is almost exactly three miles from the house.

    I have found that 10 miles isn't too far to tow a trailer with the Townie.

    I have found that the canoe with all my stuff in it for a day of duck hunting and bass fishing is a looong and heeeavyyy trailer. The Townie does the best job of towing it, over my other four bikes. My road bike is pretty much a lost cause for this.

    With the Townie I can wear whatever I want for hunting and/or fishing and don't have to worry about changing clothes when I transition from the bike.

    When I first got this bike, my Dad, (70), tried it a few times. Then went out and bought his own. He now rides all over town rather than drive his full-size p/u for errands.

    Great bike Electra.
    You have solved at least two cycling problems: fear of a vehicle hitting you from behind. Where to leave your bike after you get to the lake.

    You should post those photos in the "road bikes" thread. Those guys are always worried that a 17 pound bike is "too heavy". Your bike/boat combo probably comes in a tad over 17 pounds, yet still moves. A shock to weight weenies everywhere.

  16. #266
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    That's not a bad idea. I haven't weighed everything, but I estimate the whole rig and all the gear I had with me when I took these photos comes in at over 150 lbs.

  17. #267
    Senior Member royalflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Munich
    My Bikes
    Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
    Those guys are always worried that a 17 pound bike is "too heavy". Your bike/boat combo probably comes in a tad over 17 pounds, yet still moves. A shock to weight weenies everywhere.

    if he could post a video at the same time of him climbing a 20% gradient with it that would be an even bigger shock
    only the dead have seen the end of mass motorized stupidity

    Plato

    (well if he was alive today he would have written it)

  18. #268
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Posts
    3,398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy for you.
    I had purchased a nice hybrid but had trouble getting on, off, and riding.
    Now I have a Sole Ride 300 and while a bit slower, is very comfortable and fun to ride.

    http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1219600&f=28
    Last edited by scottogo; 11-29-05 at 07:53 AM.

  19. #269
    "Old & Slow Rider" BJ Ondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phooey
    On this past Saturday, My wife and I purchased two Townies. My wife is 5 ft tall and this is the first bike that is 'adult sized' that she could ride comfortably..
    My wife Jo is only 5 ft. tall, with barley a 26 inch leg length but we didn't care for a cruiser style bicycle so we found her a "womens version Fuji Monterey Comfort Bike, with a "S" frame, she has "no problems" with mounting or riding this bike and it's capable of semi-series off road to broaden her horizions. It's a 27 speed with easy click shifters and you should be able to pick it up for $400-$475, maybe cheaper since it's the end of the year!
    BJ & Jo Ondo
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrid
    "We ride just for the FUN of it"!
    http://bj-joondo.tripod.com/bicycle.htm

  20. #270
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah, the loved and hated townie. I really didn't know what to think when I saw the ad, and it took a long time for me to be in a place where I could test one. I really liked the ride. I liked being upright to see the view and having my neck straight. I liked that more than the flat footed aspect. I also really liked standing up on the downhill and not being bent over. kinda like snowboarding. now whenever I ride my other bike I feel like an old lady with a stick up my butt. haven't ridden it more that 20k tho.

  21. #271
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought one about a year ago and rode it about 8 times. I stopped riding and It's just been sitting there since. It really is super comfortable and i loved it at first. But within a few rides i began to get tierd of the way it feels going up grades. It become tiresome on even the slightest grade, both in the way the sitting position feels when under uphill load and the fact that it's much harder than a regular bike on grades. great bike for level ground, but it's not totally level around my neighborhood. Gonna trade it for a Mt bike if i can.
    I keep telling my lungs this is a normal healthy activity, but they just won't listen.

  22. #272
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazco
    Bought one about a year ago and rode it about 8 times. I stopped riding and It's just been sitting there since. It really is super comfortable and i loved it at first. But within a few rides i began to get tierd of the way it feels going up grades. It become tiresome on even the slightest grade, both in the way the sitting position feels when under uphill load and the fact that it's much harder than a regular bike on grades. great bike for level ground, but it's not totally level around my neighborhood. Gonna trade it for a Mt bike if i can.
    How many speeds does your Townie have? My nephew has been complaining about how difficult hills are, and I discovered he was trying to go up hills in about a 70 inch gear. I showed him how to go up a hill in a 40 inch gear, while spinning the cranks lightly but rapidly at about 80 rpm. As he gets better at the "easy gear" and "fast RPM" technique, he has been looking for bigger hills to practice on.

    If your bike is a one speed, hills are gonna be harder. But, even on a one speed, if you practice "attacking" the hill at a high RPM rate, and spinning smoothly, you can do quite well.

  23. #273
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
    ...complaining about how difficult hills are, and I discovered he was trying to go up hills in about a 70 inch gear. I showed him how to go up a hill in a 40 inch gear, while spinning the cranks lightly but rapidly at about 80 rpm. As he gets better at the "easy gear" and "fast RPM" technique, he has been looking for bigger hills to practice on.

    If your bike is a one speed, hills are gonna be harder. But, even on a one speed, if you practice "attacking" the hill at a high RPM rate, and spinning smoothly, you can do quite well.
    Good advice. I see plenty of riders on my daily commute that just don't seem to have good gear selection sense, and I just want to scream at them....

  24. #274
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it isn't that. I've ridden hills for years with a number of bikes including a lot of very steep fire roads. So i know all about that. I just find it different in a way thats not fixable with technique. In fact i would necassarily even say it's as much that it's hard (tho it is to some extent) as uncomnfortable because of the forward pedals which force you to pull on the bars and just cause a very uncomfortable feeling and position. In short it just doesn't do hills well.
    I keep telling my lungs this is a normal healthy activity, but they just won't listen.

  25. #275
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    9,975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have ridden a couple Townies, and while they are not 'my cupa tea', they are a nice handling little bike; a cross between a wedgie and a 'bent. If it gets folks off the couch, we're for it!
    Being a tandem enthusiast, we were pleased to see that this idea has even spilled into the tandem market as Rans, the recumbent folks, have out a tandem called the Dynamik Duo that looks quite similar to the Townie approach, but as a bicycle-built-for-2. Now the two of you can get off the couch TWOgether!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •