Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Recreational/Utility bjjoondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Posts
    1,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why no ride reports or photo's of rides in "Recrational and Family"??

    Even though we have entry level MTB's we consider ourselves "Recreational Riders", sometimes we ride, rail-trails, bike paths, dirt double track or even some of the mellower singletrack in and around Colorado Springs, CO. It seems NO on wants to put in the "ride reports and photo's" in the Rec. section that you see in a "lot" of the other areas, why?? Sure this topic is a good place to get info. on what kind bike for a rec. riders needs or a trailer to haul around the kido's but there's got to be more to being a "Rec. Rider", than those two items, anyone got any suggetions or comments, thanks!

    A link to a photo of my wife Jo and I riding a local trail, named Homestead, LOL we call it M&M for MEAN MUP as it's a concrete/asphalt path but it's all HILLS!!

    http://picasaweb.google.com/bjandjoo...52888058421410

    (PS. If the link just goes to our Bicycle Photo's Album, look for photo's with a 03/08/09 date, thanks, we still don't know WHY it won't always link to the same photo each time?)
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great time/trail. I'll try to do better ;-]

  3. #3
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,565
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, rides that could be listed here, I post photos and stuff in the regional forum.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  4. #4
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years back, when Joe Gardner and I got the recreational forum started, it was meant as a sort of refuge for those who didn't quite mesh well with the road biker's, but still wanted to discuss perhaps a less intense level of riding. At the last minute, Joe added in "family" to the recreation piece, and the family portion has more or less dominated since, which proved the real need for the forum. The "recreation" side never has done much. I think folks have found other forums - 50+, Clydesdales, MTB, regional, etc., that are more specific to their particular rides.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  5. #5
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,565
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Recreation" is very broad. As far as I know, 99.999% of the roadies are riding for recreation, as are most of the mountain bikers, randonneurs, etc- the exceptions perhaps being a few utility cyclists, commuters, pro racers, or people that hate riding but are trying to lose weight.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  6. #6
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    "Recreation" is very broad. As far as I know, 99.999% of the roadies are riding for recreation, as are most of the mountain bikers, randonneurs, etc- the exceptions perhaps being a few utility cyclists, commuters, pro racers, or people that hate riding but are trying to lose weight.
    I wonder what response one might get if they posted a poll or question on the Road Forum,

    "Do you consider yourself to be a recreational rider?" OK I posted a poll:

    Are you a "recreational rider?"
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-28-09 at 08:15 AM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  7. #7
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the official purpose of this forum:


    Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  8. #8
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,565
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, I didn't say 99.999% of the roadies would ADMIT to just riding for recreation...that's a little bit different issue.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  9. #9
    fixed for the long haul 40 Cent's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjoondo View Post
    :It seems NO on wants to put in the "ride reports and photo's" in the Rec. section that you see in a "lot" of the other areas, why??
    Likely people get a bit squeamish putting photos of their kids. However I'm too proud both of my sons and my handiwork not to post this.

    We live in Brooklyn, NY and wanted to vacation in Martha's Vineyard, MA, a couple hundred miles away. I had wanted to take our backpacks and bikes on Amtrak but it was just inconvenient, and too expensive. So I found a car rental place in Manhattan that would let us drop off in Falmouth, Massachusetts, only a few yards from the MUP that leads to the Martha's Vineyard Ferry.

    Martha's Vineyard has a tremendous network of paved bike paths; the island is generally flat and there is really no need for a car (we don't own one).

    As for bikes, my sons, as of age 7 and 5, had rode off-the-shelf mountain bikes. At some point I found them just too heavy and slow. I never liked mountain bikes for kids. Too heavy, and the knobby tires too slow for my taste, especially if most of your riding is on pavement. So when he was 10 (a bit under 5 feet tall) I decided to build my oldes son a single speed using an old steel frame and 700c wheels. My 8 year-old, now lagging behind us despite his superior stamina was next. I built a similar bike for him. Now we're able to put in 35 plus miles rather easily, our longest day being about 52 miles.

    On our Martha's Vineyard trip, we carried all our luggage on our back (I also carried a car bike rack in case we couldn't put all our bikes in the rental car) headed into Manhattan (over the Manhattan Bridge) to the car rental; took the car to Cape Cod, put our bikes on the Ferry, and spent our vacation riding and swimming. Lots of fun.

    DSCN0991.jpg

    DSCN0993.jpg

    DSCN0997.jpg

    DSCN1004.jpg

    DSCN1019.jpg

    DSCN1036.jpg

    DSCN1075.jpg

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K. Here's a report that I filed in another section of BF.
    An afternoon at the Park

    It probably belongs here as much as it does there.

  11. #11
    Recreational/Utility bjjoondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Posts
    1,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 40 Cent View Post
    Likely people get a bit squeamish putting photos of their kids. However I'm too proud both of my sons and my handiwork not to post this.

    We live in Brooklyn, NY and wanted to vacation in Martha's Vineyard, MA, a couple hundred miles away. I had wanted to take our backpacks and bikes on Amtrak but it was just inconvenient, and too expensive. So I found a car rental place in Manhattan that would let us drop off in Falmouth, Massachusetts, only a few yards from the MUP that leads to the Martha's Vineyard Ferry.

    Martha's Vineyard has a tremendous network of paved bike paths; the island is generally flat and there is really no need for a car (we don't own one).

    As for bikes, my sons, as of age 7 and 5, had rode off-the-shelf mountain bikes. At some point I found them just too heavy and slow. I never liked mountain bikes for kids. Too heavy, and the knobby tires too slow for my taste, especially if most of your riding is on pavement. So when he was 10 (a bit under 5 feet tall) I decided to build my oldes son a single speed using an old steel frame and 700c wheels. My 8 year-old, now lagging behind us despite his superior stamina was next. I built a similar bike for him. Now we're able to put in 35 plus miles rather easily, our longest day being about 52 miles.

    On our Martha's Vineyard trip, we carried all our luggage on our back (I also carried a car bike rack in case we couldn't put all our bikes in the rental car) headed into Manhattan (over the Manhattan Bridge) to the car rental; took the car to Cape Cod, put our bikes on the Ferry, and spent our vacation riding and swimming. Lots of fun.

    DSCN0991.jpg

    DSCN0993.jpg

    DSCN0997.jpg

    DSCN1004.jpg

    DSCN1019.jpg

    DSCN1036.jpg

    DSCN1075.jpg

    Now that's the kinda recreational riding report I'm talking about, thanks! Had hope to get in a few miles with the Mrs. this weekend BUT it's been raining and snowing out side all weekend I was going to "put it all on my back", backpack style but with having Reiter's Syndrome/arthritis throughout the old body, it puts to much "strain" on my upper shoulders so I put on a "clamp-on" rack and bag for my stuff.

    I guess I'm not a Cool MTB'er anymore, just a Rec Rider Again thanks, hope to see more of your adventures!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

  12. #12
    Recreational/Utility bjjoondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Posts
    1,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    O.K. Here's a report that I filed in another section of BF.
    An afternoon at the Park

    It probably belongs here as much as it does there.
    You two look like you just have "too much" FUN!, I have to admit if we made any real money, we'd be buying a set of Bent Trikes for just Road Riding! Thanks for the ride report, I knew that Rec. Riders had something more than just the normal "help me" request!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    I found a site that lets you post your photos. Only a couple posts but it seems pretty cool.

    http://www.cyclingparent.com/cycling-photos.html

    Cheers,

    GlenD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •