Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-09, 06:44 PM   #1
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl
Thread Starter
 
terraskye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help finding a suitable bike for hauling a chariot

I go back to work next week, I'm a live-out Nanny and the mother of the kids I watch brought up the idea of me picking up the boys from school using either her or her husbands bike with their chariot attached. I'd rather use a bike of my own but I don't feel comfortable yet biking during rush hour traffic to their house either ( its about 45 minutes via public transit now anyways ) so I'm toying with the idea of buying another bike to leave at their house that I can use either to pick up the kids for for bike rids together after school. My only criteria is that it has a step through frame and be no more than 500$ Canadian. I also have to convince my husband that its a good idea.

So please I need suggestions on models that are good and available in Alberta with the type of frame I need that would also be good for pulling a trailer.

I was looking at either the Trek 7000 or 7100WSD would love either opinions or alternatives. Oh good resell value would be good too as I'd only use it this school year and the next and then wont need it probably anymore.

P.S. The bus I take doesn't have the bike rack in front and the transit train doesnt allow bikes on board during rush hour or I'd use the hybrid I have now.

Thanks in advance
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 07:06 PM   #2
masiman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those Trek's WSD's are very nice bikes.

I'd keep an eye on Craigslist. Maybe have your employer help on the cost of the bike. I am not familiar with all the step throughs available but I know there are other manufacturers of them. I think Bianchi makes one.

I think most importantly will be are you comfortable on the bike. Try one out at an LBS.

You'll want good low gearing for the bike also. A trailer will weigh 20-30lbs, the kids will probably be ~30lbs+ each. If you have any hills, going up will be harder and so will stopping, in case you have not ridden with a trailer before.

I checked the Edmonton Craigslist and it seemed pretty sparse of bikes. I think you all have a for sale website in Canada that is pretty popular. Try that out too.

I'd really try to have them reimburse you all or some for the bike if it is a job requirement.
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 07:21 PM   #3
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl
Thread Starter
 
terraskye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by masiman View Post
Those Trek's WSD's are very nice bikes.

I'd keep an eye on Craigslist. Maybe have your employer help on the cost of the bike. I am not familiar with all the step throughs available but I know there are other manufacturers of them. I think Bianchi makes one.

I think most importantly will be are you comfortable on the bike. Try one out at an LBS.

You'll want good low gearing for the bike also. A trailer will weigh 20-30lbs, the kids will probably be ~30lbs+ each. If you have any hills, going up will be harder and so will stopping, in case you have not ridden with a trailer before.

I checked the Edmonton Craigslist and it seemed pretty sparse of bikes. I think you all have a for sale website in Canada that is pretty popular. Try that out too.

I'd really try to have them reimburse you all or some for the bike if it is a job requirement.
I think our CL isn't that great..I've been checking ads everyday and haven't seen a bike yet with a step through frame that I think would be suitable. I've also checked edmonton kijiji but you just reminded me of one more I can check tonight too.

No hills and mostly paved too which is nice. This will be my first time using a trailer which was one of the reasons I wanted a step through frame for quick dismounting

Not sure if they will reimburse me but I can always hope

Going to two or three LBS's this weekend to check too.

Thanks
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 07:09 AM   #4
masiman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are only wanting the step through because of worries about the trailer, I wouldn't concern yourself with that too much. Any sort of emergency that will happen won't be improved by your ability to get off or on the bike 1/2 second quicker.

If you can't find a step through, I think a mountain bike would a great choice. They have a more aggressive riding position (more lean, flatter back) that is actually more comfortable for extended riding. The frames are smaller and closer to step through than road bikes. They have perfect gearing for pulling trailers. Easier to find on the used market. Plus it would compliment your hybrid.

While you are at the LBS ask them about local bike clubs. The clubs may have a website where you could connect with local riders and they often have a flea market of good bikes.
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 11:27 AM   #5
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl
Thread Starter
 
terraskye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by masiman View Post
If you are only wanting the step through because of worries about the trailer, I wouldn't concern yourself with that too much. Any sort of emergency that will happen won't be improved by your ability to get off or on the bike 1/2 second quicker.

If you can't find a step through, I think a mountain bike would a great choice. They have a more aggressive riding position (more lean, flatter back) that is actually more comfortable for extended riding. The frames are smaller and closer to step through than road bikes. They have perfect gearing for pulling trailers. Easier to find on the used market. Plus it would compliment your hybrid.

While you are at the LBS ask them about local bike clubs. The clubs may have a website where you could connect with local riders and they often have a flea market of good bikes.
There are a few other reasons I'd like a step through frame too I'm trying to stay away from a Mountain bike though as I dont care for the look. I will save the idea though if I cant find anything else suitable.

Thanks for the suggestings
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 11:35 AM   #6
masiman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
There are a few other reasons I'd like a step through frame too I'm trying to stay away from a Mountain bike though as I dont care for the look. I will save the idea though if I cant find anything else suitable.

Thanks for the suggestings


I understand.

One other option but requires a little more motivation and confidence. I'll send you a PM for what to do there.

Best of luck to you!
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 11:38 AM   #7
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl
Thread Starter
 
terraskye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by masiman View Post


I understand.

One other option but requires a little more motivation and confidence. I'll send you a PM for what to do there.

Best of luck to you!

Sounds good and thanks
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 PM.