Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Recommendations for a 3/7 speed to ride with family

    I am looking for a basic 3 or 7 speed bike (max $400) for use on the road or paved trails so I can ride with my 10 year old. Won't be going far or very hilly. I found these so far,
    SE Bike - Tripel
    http://www.sebikes.com/bikes/lifesty...-series/tripel

    Giant - Escape 3
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...specifications

    Which one would you go with or is there another one I should take a look at? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member BruceHankins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Charles Town, WV
    My Bikes
    Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with the Giant, great value there. At $400 you have some options, look at Specialized, and Fuji also. Fuji make some really nice bikes for a good price.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sin City, Nevada
    My Bikes
    Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, Wizwheelz 3.4 trike, Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB
    Posts
    721
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    More geares are probably better

    Both bikes you list are in the same weight range, around 28 pounds so that puts them in a much better weight class than most mass merchandiser bikes. The gear range limitations on the 3 speed bike are pretty serious. The 42-16 combination for the gears, 700CX28 tire, and 170 mm crank gives a 69.9 GI for the midrange on the Nexus hub and 51 for low gear, 95 for high. The Giant Escape with regular gearing has a spread of 21.9 to 91.2. It is geared like many mountain bikes, lower than most road bikes but a lot better than the 3 speed hub on the first bike. You get a lot more choices to get a comfortable cadence while riding. The drive train components on the Escape are at the low end of the spectrum but should work acceptably. Lots of people recommend internal hubs based upon maintenance needs for the regular drives but in reality it doesn't take all that much to maintain them, even for somebody who rides thousands of miles a year.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Giant is $70 more than the SE Tripel so maybe I should go for the cheaper one if it's not that much better. I don't get those numbers you mention so maybe it won't matter to a beginner like me. Thanks again for the input, much appreciated!

  5. #5
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,407
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, fly-by posters. Both people recommend the Giant and support their reasoning but he says "I ignore you both! because $70"

    Good times.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BruceHankins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Charles Town, WV
    My Bikes
    Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you want cheap go to Target.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Ah, fly-by posters. Both people recommend the Giant and support their reasoning but he says "I ignore you both! because $70"

    Good times.
    I'm not ignoring anyone, I'm trying to have a discussion. The second poster mentioned gearing being better on the Giant but I'm not sure that's worth an extra $70. If someone said the components on the SE bike are absolute garbage compared to the Giant then that's more cut and dry.

  8. #8
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SE is a boat anchor, and with only the 3-speed to work with, may not give you the gear spread you require. The Giant has an aluminum fame, so it will be noticeably lighter. The 7-speed derailleur system will give you a lower low and higher high, so you will have an easier time climbing hills, and keeping up with an energetic pre-teen. That $70 is money well spent if you actually enjoy ridign the bike. You might even ride without the kid.
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, very helpful information.

  10. #10
    Senior Member catonec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    burlington VT.
    Posts
    2,211
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

  11. #11
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,772
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demoncyclist View Post
    The 7-speed derailleur system will give you a lower low and higher high, so you will have an easier time climbing hills, and keeping up with an energetic pre-teen. That $70 is money well spent if you actually enjoy ridign the bike. You might even ride without the kid.
    Having more gear range can often make the difference between enjoying a ride and not being able to do a ride. (It matters less if you live somewhere flat with no wind. Where I live it matters a lot.)
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    1,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an enthusiast for Islabikes - http://www.islabikes.com/us/ and http://www.islabikes.com/us/bike_pag...rt-USA_web.pdf

    They're outside your price range and far be for me, on t'other side of The Pond, to recommend that you batter the plastic. However, our experience is that they are superb value for money and, as a result, hold their s/hand price extremely well. They often fetch up to 85-90% of their new price after 12-18 months (and sometimes longer), making their weekly cost much lower than other brands.

    We have a fair few of them in different sizes, along with on and off-road wheels, for use by our Kids club members, both at training sessions and in races and they've stood up pretty well to riders of a variety of skills and fitness.

    But, in these straightened times....

    Good luck and safe riding with whatever bike you get.

    Ps. I'm not involved with the company in any way whatsoever

  13. #13
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    38,876
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you want cheap go to Target.
    pay in cash or check , they have a security breach for credit card data.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks but these are kids bikes, I'm looking for a bike for myself to ride with the kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by atbman View Post
    I'm an enthusiast for Islabikes - http://www.islabikes.com/us/ and http://www.islabikes.com/us/bike_pag...rt-USA_web.pdf

    They're outside your price range and far be for me, on t'other side of The Pond, to recommend that you batter the plastic. However, our experience is that they are superb value for money and, as a result, hold their s/hand price extremely well. They often fetch up to 85-90% of their new price after 12-18 months (and sometimes longer), making their weekly cost much lower than other brands.

    We have a fair few of them in different sizes, along with on and off-road wheels, for use by our Kids club members, both at training sessions and in races and they've stood up pretty well to riders of a variety of skills and fitness.

    But, in these straightened times....

    Good luck and safe riding with whatever bike you get.

    Ps. I'm not involved with the company in any way whatsoever

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  16. #16
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    38,876
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bikes are made up of interchangeable parts .. nothing is compulsory to stay as delivered.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    1,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo32 View Post
    Thanks but these are kids bikes, I'm looking for a bike for myself to ride with the kids.
    Ooops! Went back and re-read the original post

  18. #18
    Senior Member metz1295's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    My Bikes
    '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo32 View Post
    I am looking for a basic 3 or 7 speed bike (max $400) for use on the road or paved trails so I can ride with my 10 year old. Won't be going far or very hilly. I found these so far,
    SE Bike - Tripel
    Tripel - Urban Series, Lifestyle Bikes | SEBikes.com

    Giant - Escape 3
    Escape 3 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

    Which one would you go with or is there another one I should take a look at? Thanks!
    have you made a purchase? I bought the sport version ($590) of this bike for my 12 yr old son and he loves it. it would be perfect for what you're wanting to do. the better components is worth the extra $100 over your budget.

    Specialized Bicycle Components

  19. #19
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    38,876
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek has nicely made kids bikes , they have the really huge Giant Corporation make them in Taiwan.

    Trek Carries all the warrantees on what they sell .. different Dealer networks ..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •