Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Outside Stockholm in Liding÷
    My Bikes
    Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Commuting on a bent instead of using a car

    I still don't understand why millions of people still use their car in order to get to work every day instead of considering how much money they would spare and how much better health they would gain if they used a bent instead. The most usual comment on this is: I cannot afford a bent that costs me 3000 dollars. But how can you afford a second car or a new car that costs you ten times more if you can't invest your money in a real bent? In terms of comfort and speed the difference is almost neglectable. My neighbour use his 4x4 jeep every day in order to get to his work. We often start at the same time and have about the same distance to our job. But I always get to my work before he gets to his and I have a much better health. So if you can't afford a real bent sell your 4x4 and get yourself a much better means of transportation in terms of economy and health

  2. #2
    Se˝or Mambo
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Bridgestone MB-6 700c, Ti-frame Xtracycle, RANS, Brompton, Dahon, Downtube IXFS, ex-Birdy & a recumbent pedicab.
    Posts
    1,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, you're probably posting this in the wrong forum in general. You might want to try the "ILoveMyCar" forums - you'll probably get a more proactive response.

    But to answer your question: some in the U.S. live quite a long way from work, so a car is necessary at times. Sure, I could make the commute from Fremont to San Francisco by bike, but this gets impractical because of time and geographical constraints. It's also one of the reasons why I now work a lot closer to home. Nevertheless, I don't begrudge anyone using a car who has had to do or is still doing the commute I used to do. I should say, though, that I did use BART (i.e. nor Cal's light rail metro) 3-4 times/week and would only drive on Fridays.

  3. #3
    Recumbent Ninja
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to find a way to commute to work, but the only roads I can take are so choked with cars and 55mph speed limits, I'm concerned about my safety.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aikigreg
    I'm trying to find a way to commute to work, but the only roads I can take are so choked with cars and 55mph speed limits, I'm concerned about my safety.
    Same here. And also there aren't any "facilities" to clean up at my work either.

  5. #5
    Recumbent Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
    Posts
    2,991
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps if bents didn't cost 3000 dollars more people would ride them. Drop the price down to what a regular bike costs, and then maybe you'll see more of them on the road.

  6. #6
    Lex Heath wy0mn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Leoma, TN
    My Bikes
    Mutant 'Goose
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think another reason is pure laziness.
    I live in a large town/small city, lol. Thousands of people living a handful of miles from their employment. I have friends who drive only a block or two to work!
    Weather permitting, I pedal my #60 Huffy Verona for a ten mile round-trip daily. The bike has dual Wald folding pannier baskets & the larger HD Wald front basket.
    For safety reasons I have marker lights fore & aft, on a motorcycle battery that recharges with a PV panel.
    Just purchased a 26" aluminum Mongoose, 21 speed, to make into a bent Cruzbike. WalMart had it in the discount rack due to a crushed pedal, a missing chain & loose handlebar. I gave $25 for it.
    No lotus land ever cast its spell upon a mans heart, more than Wyoming had enchanted mine. ~Owen Wister~ The Virginian

  7. #7
    Recumbent Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
    Posts
    2,991
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wy0mn
    I think another reason is pure laziness.
    I live in a large town/small city, lol. Thousands of people living a handful of miles from their employment. I have friends who drive only a block or two to work!
    Weather permitting, I pedal my #60 Huffy Verona for a ten mile round-trip daily. The bike has dual Wald folding pannier baskets & the larger HD Wald front basket.
    For safety reasons I have marker lights fore & aft, on a motorcycle battery that recharges with a PV panel.
    Just purchased a 26" aluminum Mongoose, 21 speed, to make into a bent Cruzbike. WalMart had it in the discount rack due to a crushed pedal, a missing chain & loose handlebar. I gave $25 for it.
    How do you convert a DF into a bent?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Outside Stockholm in Liding÷
    My Bikes
    Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If people were more concerned about their health, they would probably use their car less and bike more. If the interest for biking increased perhaps politicians would be more interested in investing money in constructing roads for bikes instead of highways for cars. For my part I usually take the train or buss if I must travel more than 500km. I commute more than 30km each day and I wouldn't dream of using a car when it comes to such short distances. A forum like "I like, I adore. I'm simply prepared to die for my beloved 4x4" would certainly not elicit any positive response at all-only hostility. But the fact is that many people are so addicted to their car that they cannot even get their mail from the mail box go to the nearest store or the bank and so forth without using their car. I bet some would even want the possibility of having their car parked in the dining room- what could be more comfortable.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    My Bikes
    Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)
    Posts
    2,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started commuting by bike when I realied my training rides were just as long or longer than the distance to work. It made no sense to me to waste energy/calories twice. Commuting on a bent happened when I recently made the switch to the bent because of back pain. I have to say I enjoy the commute on the bent a lot more. Incidentally, my commute via bent is 24 mi. one way. I carpool home. Generally if you want to commute by bike bad enough you can figure something out, even if you only go one way a day and leave a car at work some days, or ride in part way. I will concede that here in Autopia I mean America sometimes there is no solution though thanks to the big cities being designed for fast cars and cheap gas (especially in the west in the last 30 - 40 years). I mean Phoenix is just now getting a light rail and it only covers the main corridor, you still need to use a bus to get to the train when it is finished. In Mesa you will need to get all the way to the edge of town before you will be able to get on the train. Unfortunately most people around here think public transit and bike commuting is for losers. Wish it was different, maybe someday it will be. Frankly, last time I rode the buses regularly there were a lot of really odd people that rode it.
    Sunrise saturday,
    I was biking the backroads,
    lost in the moment.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Belgium 50kms NE of Antwerp.
    My Bikes
    2 Longstaff Trikes, 2 Higgings Trikes and 1 Rogers conversion kits on a Dawes Galaxy.
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in lovely Flemish Belgium i ride my Greenspeed GTS everyday to work,90% of my route is canal roads ie lovely roads with no cars plus a tarmaced old disused railway line.
    As well as arriving everyday at the same time and staying healthy "I hope".
    The icing on the cake is I receive $85 tax free from the state and work to pedal to work.
    Its great to live in Flemish Belgium!!!!

  11. #11
    Se˝or Mambo
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Bridgestone MB-6 700c, Ti-frame Xtracycle, RANS, Brompton, Dahon, Downtube IXFS, ex-Birdy & a recumbent pedicab.
    Posts
    1,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erik forsgren
    ... A forum like "I like, I adore. I'm simply prepared to die for my beloved 4x4" would certainly not elicit any positive response at all-only hostility.
    I just meant that this forum is like preaching to the choir since most of us would probably agree with you.

    Right now I'm just waiting for the velomobile revolution to happen. Yes, I said waiting because life is just too busy right now with two young boys. Hopefully more importers, inventors, or builders will consider starting such a venture. (Link taken from BROL: ZAP! ePod )

  12. #12
    Lex Heath wy0mn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Leoma, TN
    My Bikes
    Mutant 'Goose
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jeff-o,
    check out cruzbike.com
    No lotus land ever cast its spell upon a mans heart, more than Wyoming had enchanted mine. ~Owen Wister~ The Virginian

  13. #13
    Recumbent Ninja
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-o
    Perhaps if bents didn't cost 3000 dollars more people would ride them. Drop the price down to what a regular bike costs, and then maybe you'll see more of them on the road.

    There are bents for every budget, but you know, I don't particularly care wether many more people buy bents or not. I'm did and loving every second of it. So long as there are enough of us to keep companies in business and to made new advancements in the technology, it's enough for me.

  14. #14
    Senior Member izgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Pennsltucky
    My Bikes
    BikeE AT--Gary Fisher DF
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman_Belg
    Here in lovely Flemish Belgium i ride my Greenspeed GTS everyday to work,90% of my route is canal roads ie lovely roads with no cars plus a tarmaced old disused railway line.
    As well as arriving everyday at the same time and staying healthy "I hope".
    The icing on the cake is I receive $85 tax free from the state and work to pedal to work.



    Its great to live in Flemish Belgium!!!!

    How do I apply for Belgian citizenship? I have arranged my life around my bike. Shopping and work are always within biking distance from the home base. I'm really sick of the super highways, the SUV's, the poisoned air, the litter, and fat people in spandex at the malls.
    I've thought about emigrating to Canada, but I don't think I would like the cold climate. You are very lucky to live in a "bike friendly" state/country.

  15. #15
    Recumbent Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
    Posts
    2,991
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by izgod
    How do I apply for Belgian citizenship? I have arranged my life around my bike. Shopping and work are always within biking distance from the home base. I'm really sick of the super highways, the SUV's, the poisoned air, the litter, and fat people in spandex at the malls.
    I've thought about emigrating to Canada, but I don't think I would like the cold climate. You are very lucky to live in a "bike friendly" state/country.
    Canada isn't as bad as you think. It's going to reach 26 C today. The warmest parts are in southern BC and southern Ontario. Though if you're trying to escape all those things you mentioned, then Canada probably isn't the best place to go. US culture is seeping in more and more, though some things are still better up here.

  16. #16
    Doomsled funbun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    My Bikes
    Trek 800
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My car is dead so my bike is the only way to get around. I have a lot of pain while riding my MTB. Wist pain, neck pain, butt crack pain.

    I would ride much more and much futher if I had a bent. The pain of riding is why I don't ride. A bent would solve that
    Check it out:

    Blog The Travelogue

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •