Most of the recumbent races are in the Great Lakes area; but there's others too: Florida, California, and Missouri(?) Look up HRPA racing and you can probably find more info. Also, if there's nothing in your part of the country, consider contacting them and maybe organizing an event.
HPV circuit racing is extremely popular in Australia and South Africa. In fact, there's only one speedbike team that I know of in Australia
Unlike speedbikes, our vehicles are required to stay within an extremely ridgid formula. Keeps racing very close and competitive, altough stunts innovation . Most races are 24hr races, on purpose-built and street circuits, all around Australia. Some of the faster tracks can net distances close to 1000km in 24hrs. I guess if you think of the whole thing as an Human powered LeMans car, then you're on the right track.
thanks for this link. i may be traveling to penn., mich. and ill. this summer, one a month should do me. maybe there'll be a fired up old lady on a bacchetta cafe category.
I think that's called Women's stock class.
Edit: Since wheelchairman found a nice pic of his race, here is a pic of the stock class and superstock class racers getting lined up at Waterford Hills. This pic was taken in 2004. Find the guy with the yellow spoke covers, I am in the yellow helmet, left hand on the ground, behind and to his right.
Last edited by BlazingPedals; 04-11-07 at 02:29 PM.
great photo. i would love to ride with a bunch of other recumbents.
what does stock and superstock refer to? age group? experience? any reference to 4 legged stock? i'm pretty sure i can kick some bovine class.
STOCK - Vehicles in this class may have any number of wheels. Vehicle/frame design may not incorporate any form of fairing which is not an integral part of the frame. Specifically, brazed on, welded on, or epoxied on integral parts of the frame which do not divert airflow around the rider are allowed. Wheel discs/covers are allowed. Supplied number plates do not constitute a fairing. Rider is male or female of any age.
Class numbers 301 - 499 (#301, #302 and #303 are reserved for last year's class winners)
JUNIOR - Same rules as STOCK, except rider must be less than 16 years old on December 31 of the year racing.
Class numbers 501 - 599 (#501, #502 and #503 are reserved for last year's class winners)
WOMENS - Same rules as STOCK, except rider must be female of any age.
Class numbers 601 - 699 (#601, #602 and #603 reserved for last year's class winners)
MULTI-RIDER - Same rules as STOCK, except must have two or more riders.
Class numbers 701-799 (#701, #702 and #703 are reserved for last year's class winners).
SUPER-STOCK - Vehicles in this class may have any number of wheels. Entries may have any number of riders, male or female. Wheel discs/covers are allowed. A front or a rear fairing is allowed. The edge of the fairing toward the rider may not penetrate the imaginary plane formed by joining the rider's shoulder centerpoints with hip centerpoints. No part of the fairing may be moved in entering, exiting, starting or stopping.
Class numbers 201 - 299 (#201, #202 and #203 are reserved for last year's class winners).
SUPER-STREET - Vehicles in this class may have any number of wheels. Entries may have any number of riders, male or female. Wheel discs/covers are allowed. Fairings can be one of two formats.
Type 1: Any amount of fairing is allowed in this class. The bottom must be open so that the riders(s) have their feet on the ground for starting and stopping. The only moveable fairing will be a door for entering and exiting the vehicle providing that the rider is able to stand in the bike, facing forward, with both feet of the ground, and without flexing of any body panels. The rider's head must be exposed above the fairing. Three wheeled open top velomobiles will be included in this class; they may have a closed bottom.
Type 2: Any amount of fairing is allowed, but no more than 40% of the fairing surface may be of a hard material (ie. composite, metal, or molded plastic), while the remaining 60% of surface area of the fairing must be of flexible, non self supporting material (ie. nylon, spandex).
Parts of the fairing can be moved to facilitate entry and exit, or stop and start of the vehicle. The rider's head must be exposed above the fairing.
Class numbers 101-199 (#101, #102 and #103 are reserved for last year's class winners.)
STREAMLINER - Vehicles in this class may have any number of wheels and any amount of fairing. Entries may have any number of riders, male or female. Fairing panels may be moved for entry, exit, starting, or stopping. Vehicles do not need to be capable of self-start/self-stop. Vehicles without start/stop capabilities will start at the back of the pack. Rider(s) must be able to exit the vehicle unaided in case of an emergency
Class numbers 1 - 99 (#1, #2 and #3 are reserved for last year's class winners.)