Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    700c highracer or other recommendation

    Does anyone manufacture a 700c highracer? I tried putting a 700c on my Optima Lynxx, and it works, but I don't like the overlap with my foot, so I switched the setup back... starting to think that I am better to leave my bike intact and look at adding to the stable.

    Any suggestions on a nice, FAST SWB 'bent that climbs well? Preferably with 700c, but I would even go other configurations at this point. My Lynxx is quick, but is more geared around touring. Thinking I would like to go with a North American manufacturer, as getting parts from Holland has been... expensive.

  2. #2
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put 700c wheels on a Bacchetta Giro26 if you use disc brakes.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    My Bikes
    2005 Performer Toscana, 2000 Kona Hoo-Ha, RANS Rocket
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik
    You can put 700c wheels on a Bacchetta Giro26 if you use disc brakes.
    Same goes for a Rans F5 Enduro.

  4. #4
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also lots of highracers with 650C wheels as part of their stock setup.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bacchetta has a great selection and are awsome racing bikes. I have a Corsa and love it. I live in central Kentucky and can vouch for it's climbing abilities. I didn't like the Superman style of steering so I switched to a tiller style from a Bacchetta Cafe and it works fine. Preference really.

    650c wheels have a lower rotational weight than 700c which means they climb better yet still take the bumps like a 700c.

    It's sooooooo fast! Just broke my TT corse record that was set by an aero outfitted DF by 5 minute on my Corsa w/o aero tweeks.

    Check them out here: http://www.bacchettabikes.com/

  6. #6
    Ric
    Ric is offline
    Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorin
    Does anyone manufacture a 700c highracer? I tried putting a 700c on my Optima Lynxx, and it works, but I don't like the overlap with my foot, so I switched the setup back... starting to think that I am better to leave my bike intact and look at adding to the stable.

    Any suggestions on a nice, FAST SWB 'bent that climbs well? Preferably with 700c, but I would even go other configurations at this point. My Lynxx is quick, but is more geared around touring. Thinking I would like to go with a North American manufacturer, as getting parts from Holland has been... expensive.

    Jorin,
    Someone stated You can put 700c wheels on a Bacchetta Giro26 if you use disc brakes. I'd do some checking on that before you purchased one because I don't believe it can be done. Don't quote me on this but I believe any Bacchetta that was manufactured after 2005 cannot have the conversion done do to spacing for the rear wheel isn't available.
    If it can be done the use of disk brakes are not needed, you can use Pauls Moto rear brakes and you'll still have too replace the front fork with a 700c fork.
    I've done the conversion on a 2005 Strada and there are know overlap problems and the bike IMO handles better and preforms better than the standard version.
    Mavic 700c Ksyrium wheels, Kestrel Front fork, Pauls Moto rear Brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ric; 05-17-07 at 09:26 AM.
    http://rrsc.forumotion.com/index.htm Recumbent Riders Social Club
    http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/ Lawn And Landscape Forum
    http://cyclingdiscussion.forumotion.net/ Cycling Discussion Forum

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the Cruzbike Silvio uses 700C wheels.

    http://www.cruzbike.com/silvio.html

  8. #8
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Jorin,
    Someone stated You can put 700c wheels on a Bacchetta Giro26 if you use disc brakes. I'd do some checking on that before you purchased one because I don't believe it can be done. Don't quote me on this but I believe any Bacchetta that was manufactured after 2005 cannot have the conversion done do to spacing for the rear wheel isn't available.
    If it can be done the use of disk brakes are not needed, you can use Pauls Moto rear brakes and you'll still have too replace the front fork with a 700c fork.
    I've done the conversion on a 2005 Strada and there are know overlap problems and the bike IMO handles better and preforms better than the standard version.
    You can check this out on the Bacchetta Forum. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the current Giro26 will take 700c disc wheels with no modifications.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  9. #9
    Recumbent Ninja
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's nothing to do with your question, but why not stick to 650c?

  10. #10
    Ric
    Ric is offline
    Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik
    You can check this out on the Bacchetta Forum. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the current Giro26 will take 700c disc wheels with no modifications.

    Well all I can tell you is what the Dealer in St.Pete told me and according to him any of the Bacchetta's manufactured after 2005 have shorter rear chain stays to prevent the 700c conversion and according to him it was done because Bacchetta was at that time thinking about producing a 700c model, but if he new what he was talking about or not is any bodys guess.
    I would say to anyone who's thinking of a conversion to be careful because it's not for everyone, it has its pros and cons and depending on the area you ride 700c can hurt you more than help.
    http://rrsc.forumotion.com/index.htm Recumbent Riders Social Club
    http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/ Lawn And Landscape Forum
    http://cyclingdiscussion.forumotion.net/ Cycling Discussion Forum

  11. #11
    Ric
    Ric is offline
    Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aikigreg
    I know it's nothing to do with your question, but why not stick to 650c?
    The biggest reason people move to the 700c is tire availability. Tires in the 700c are easier to get and are available in more sizes than the 650. The gains between the two are minimal at best. My conversion was from 559s to 700c. Big difference.
    http://rrsc.forumotion.com/index.htm Recumbent Riders Social Club
    http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/ Lawn And Landscape Forum
    http://cyclingdiscussion.forumotion.net/ Cycling Discussion Forum

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    700c versus 650

    Quote Originally Posted by aikigreg
    I know it's nothing to do with your question, but why not stick to 650c?
    I already have race wheels I like in 700c, and so matching makes my life easier. I am also looking to a day when I ride both 'bent and weggie, and I would like to keep them as interchangeable as possible, so if I buy nice wheels they work with both.

    That said, my first priorities are climbing ability, speed and reasonable comfort. I am thinking Bacchetta might be the direction to go... or maybe I will break down a do a low-racer, though I am concerned about clearance height given the quality of our roads here.

    I am hindered, as there are almost no 'bent riders that I can find in Saskatchewan, which means I can't try stuff out to figure out what direction to go. I am in Pennsylvania in July, and am looking to rent something new while I am there if I can...

  13. #13
    Ric
    Ric is offline
    Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorin
    I already have race wheels I like in 700c, and so matching makes my life easier. I am also looking to a day when I ride both 'bent and weggie, and I would like to keep them as interchangeable as possible, so if I buy nice wheels they work with both.

    That said, my first priorities are climbing ability, speed and reasonable comfort. I am thinking Bacchetta might be the direction to go... or maybe I will break down a do a low-racer, though I am concerned about clearance height given the quality of our roads here.

    I am hindered, as there are almost no 'bent riders that I can find in Saskatchewan, which means I can't try stuff out to figure out what direction to go. I am in Pennsylvania in July, and am looking to rent something new while I am there if I can...

    I can see where you're coming from as I did the same with my wheels, I already had them on my DF and being able to move them between the bikes was nice.
    AS for your priorities, my avg. speed gain with the 700c was 2 to 3 mph and about 5 mph top end on the flats. Comfort, a little more so than the 559s. Climbing ability, that's where you're going to hurt big time, not they won't or can't climb but the 700c doesn't climb well on a high racer because your turning a lot more wheel and unlike the DF you can't stand up, so if your doing a lot of climbing I would suggest you find a bunch more gears and or get real good at spinning or both.
    If you purchase the Giro I believe it comes with 559s and they will actually be better climbing wheels than the 700c.
    http://rrsc.forumotion.com/index.htm Recumbent Riders Social Club
    http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/ Lawn And Landscape Forum
    http://cyclingdiscussion.forumotion.net/ Cycling Discussion Forum

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    700 vs 650

    Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    I can see where you're coming from as I did the same with my wheels, I already had them on my DF and being able to move them between the bikes was nice.
    AS for your priorities, my avg. speed gain with the 700c was 2 to 3 mph and about 5 mph top end on the flats. Comfort, a little more so than the 559s. Climbing ability, that's where you're going to hurt big time, not they won't or can't climb but the 700c doesn't climb well on a high racer because your turning a lot more wheel and unlike the DF you can't stand up, so if your doing a lot of climbing I would suggest you find a bunch more gears and or get real good at spinning or both.
    If you purchase the Giro I believe it comes with 559s and they will actually be better climbing wheels than the 700c.
    Hmmm... 650s climb better, eh (Sorry, it's a Canadian thing)? I am a seated climber, and I like to think I have pretty good climbing abilities... How much of a loss (estimate) will a 700 give up over a 650?

    Given my goals, am I better on a low racer (I would prefer to skip the whole fairing thing, at least at this time), or is there another option I am completely missing??

  15. #15
    Ric
    Ric is offline
    Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorin
    Hmmm... 650s climb better, eh (Sorry, it's a Canadian thing)? I am a seated climber, and I like to think I have pretty good climbing abilities... How much of a loss (estimate) will a 700 give up over a 650?

    Given my goals, am I better on a low racer (I would prefer to skip the whole fairing thing, at least at this time), or is there another option I am completely missing??
    Jorin,
    Being a seated climber on a DF doesn't mean anything. I rode DF for 20yrs and when I switched to the recumbent I thought I was going to die, it took 600 miles on the Strada to get my recumbent legs. It's an entirely different group of muscles. Advice- Learn to spin.
    As for the wheels I really wouldn't think there would be a lot of difference between the 650 and the 700c wheels. If you want the 650s you're going to have too take a step up to the Strada to get those, the Giro comes stock with the 559s http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumb...ro26_specs.htm My Strada came stock in 2005 with the 559s (26") that's why I know there is a big difference in climbing abilities between those and the 700c.
    I don't have a fairing on any of my bikes, I don't believe my gain would be enough to off set the cost, so for me it would be a waste. I can't say much about the Low Racer, I've only been on a low racer once and didn't care for the way it handle and I also found it to be harder to balance and maneuver, as I said before the low racer like the 700c conversion isn't for everyone.

    I do have a question though? Why in the world does anyone want to buy that Giro 26 and pay $1595, when they can buy the Strada for $1695. I'd gladly pay $100 more and have the upgraded bike and have it weigh almost 4lbs less.
    Last edited by Ric; 05-17-07 at 02:24 PM.
    http://rrsc.forumotion.com/index.htm Recumbent Riders Social Club
    http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/ Lawn And Landscape Forum
    http://cyclingdiscussion.forumotion.net/ Cycling Discussion Forum

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I am looking at the Corsa or the Aero, as I like the carbon seat on my Optima and my last DF bike was ti. Of course, negotiations with my wife have yet to occur. ;-)

  17. #17
    Recumbent Ninja
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer of lowracer vs. highracer is: it depends. I'm a lowracer, but I can't deny how fast the Bachettas are - no one can. They're very different animals, and both are fast - try both. I will never give up my land luge, personally.

    Though for the frigid north I might lean more towards the highracer. And if it's hillclimbing ability you need, don't rule out a Lightning P-38. Definately one of the best climbers. I can outclimb all but the fastest pacelines with mine.

  18. #18
    Ric
    Ric is offline
    Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorin
    Personally, I am looking at the Corsa or the Aero, as I like the carbon seat on my Optima and my last DF bike was ti. Of course, negotiations with my wife have yet to occur. ;-)
    Just picked this up off the Bacchetta forum --- I have a very new Corsa(black) with less than 100 miles for sale in Plano(Dallas), Texas. It has an upgraded carbon crank, euro seat, seat bag, spare tubes, and a cadence measuring Astral guage. I also have a high end stationary spinner($350). I paid around $2500 but I need to sale it. I will take $2000(retail is $2200) for the bike as is. It is a black beauty, and can be seen in Plano anytime. Except for the crank, it is factory identical to the new bikes.
    cowartmd@verizon.net
    mikecowartmd@verizon.net
    and there is at least one more there forsale.
    http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/tt.asp?forumid=2
    http://rrsc.forumotion.com/index.htm Recumbent Riders Social Club
    http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/ Lawn And Landscape Forum
    http://cyclingdiscussion.forumotion.net/ Cycling Discussion Forum

  19. #19
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Well all I can tell you is what the Dealer in St.Pete told me and according to him any of the Bacchetta's manufactured after 2005 have shorter rear chain stays to prevent the 700c conversion and according to him it was done because Bacchetta was at that time thinking about producing a 700c model, but if he new what he was talking about or not is any bodys guess.
    I would say to anyone who's thinking of a conversion to be careful because it's not for everyone, it has its pros and cons and depending on the area you ride 700c can hurt you more than help.
    I did a search on the Bacchetta forum and the 2007 giro 26 can take 700c wheels according to numerous posts on the site.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    I do have a question though? Why in the world does anyone want to buy that Giro 26 and pay $1595, when they can buy the Strada for $1695. I'd gladly pay $100 more and have the upgraded bike and have it weigh almost 4lbs less.
    One word: Versatility.

    I bought the Giro 26 to commute (48km per day), but the standard disc brakes allow me to swap to 700c wheels if I want, or put some wider slicks from my MTB onto the frame. None of these changes takes longer than undoing and relatching a pair of quick release levers.

    Cheers,
    Graeme

  21. #21
    Ric
    Ric is offline
    Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kalgrm
    One word: Versatility.

    I bought the Giro 26 to commute (48km per day), but the standard disc brakes allow me to swap to 700c wheels if I want, or put some wider slicks from my MTB onto the frame. None of these changes takes longer than undoing and relatching a pair of quick release levers.

    Cheers,
    Graeme
    Well I guess if you're willing to give up performance for versatility it's most likely the way to go, although I don't believe that and I for one am not willing to do that. I've always been of the mindset that there is a reason and a purpose for a design. A road bike belongs on the road, a MTB belongs on the trails in the woods. Sounds like you need a Hybrid not a recumbent.
    http://rrsc.forumotion.com/index.htm Recumbent Riders Social Club
    http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/ Lawn And Landscape Forum
    http://cyclingdiscussion.forumotion.net/ Cycling Discussion Forum

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik
    Sounds like you need a Hybrid not a recumbent.
    .... so I can sit in traffic for two hours a day, complaining about the ever-rising price of fuel and wandering how I ever found the time to ride? Nah, recumbent commuting is too much fun (sometimes I think work is just an excuse to let me get 300km a week on my bike! )

    BTW, I bet there's some bloke with an Aero in his shed, chuckling at your enthusiasm for performance and yet you still only bought a Strada ..... Everybody buys the bike that's just right for them, for their own reasons - be that performance, versatility, price, availability, "coolness", etc. You asked for a reason why someone might choose a Giro 26 over the Strada, and you were given my reason. I hope you weren't surprised that it was different to your reason for buying a bike.

    Cheers,
    Graeme

  23. #23
    Ric
    Ric is offline
    Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover Ric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kalgrm
    .... so I can sit in traffic for two hours a day, complaining about the ever-rising price of fuel and wandering how I ever found the time to ride? Nah, recumbent commuting is too much fun (sometimes I think work is just an excuse to let me get 300km a week on my bike! )

    BTW, I bet there's some bloke with an Aero in his shed, chuckling at your enthusiasm for performance and yet you still only bought a Strada ..... Everybody buys the bike that's just right for them, for their own reasons - be that performance, versatility, price, availability, "coolness", etc. You asked for a reason why someone might choose a Giro 26 over the Strada, and you were given my reason. I hope you weren't surprised that it was different to your reason for buying a bike.

    Cheers,
    Graeme
    When I said Hybrid I didn't mean a car http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1344600&f=27 so I can't see how you can sit in traffic for two hours a day and be on a hybrid or a recumbent and have it make any difference in Traffic.
    Aero, Strada, Giro it doesn't make a difference, price has nothing to do with it. My point is your taking a performance bike and turning it into something it wasn't designed to do. A hybrid would give you the best of both worlds with less cost and problems.
    http://rrsc.forumotion.com/index.htm Recumbent Riders Social Club
    http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/ Lawn And Landscape Forum
    http://cyclingdiscussion.forumotion.net/ Cycling Discussion Forum

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah right .....

    Carry on.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you stuck on SWB do or die? If not might want to look at Easy racers Javelin or the new Sun Tomahawk. 700cc back tire (still 20's on the front) but I'm hearing good things on the Jav and pretty fast I'm told.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •