Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Rans Dynamik?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rans Dynamik?

    Anyone own a Rans Dynamik? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Posts
    3,398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thanks, scottogo

    I appreciate the info,
    southshore

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dallas Tx
    My Bikes
    C30 Raliegh
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any purchased and rode one of the Rans CF bikes? Looks like a nice compromise.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brasballs
    Has any purchased and rode one of the Rans CF bikes? Looks like a nice compromise.
    I have a 2006 Fusion, bought in October 2006.
    It's nicer than a regular bike for shorter distances, <20 miles or so. You won't need padded shorts, but lycra/synthetic shorts are nice. The seat is big but doesn't interfere with pedaling, and the edges are flexible plastic. It rides easily, like a "normal" bike, people can get on it and get going right away.

    Downsides are that not being able to stand and pedal feels odd at times, and I can't find any good rack solutions for it; the one I've made didn't turn out so hot overall. The seat clamp may slip if you're ~200 lbs or over, but there's tricks to cure that. There's no easy way to put any conventional bicycle saddle on it--the seatpost is 1-3/8" OD, and the seat bracket is a custom aluminum-extrusion job.

    The Fusion can be adjusted for a straight-up riding position and I wanted it specifically to avoid hand pressure and neck strain--but I have since found that it's more effective with the position leaned a bit forward.
    ------
    The Dynamik I don't own and haven't seen first-hand, but I would call it a "casual/bike path" bike and not really a MTB. I doubt it would withstand hard pounding like any other $1K MTB would.
    ~

  6. #6
    Senior Member Woodlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Aiken, South Carolina
    My Bikes
    Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug5150
    I have a 2006 Fusion, bought in October 2006.
    It's nicer than a regular bike for shorter distances, <20 miles or so. You won't need padded shorts, but lycra/synthetic shorts are nice. The seat is big but doesn't interfere with pedaling, and the edges are flexible plastic. It rides easily, like a "normal" bike, people can get on it and get going right away.

    Downsides are that not being able to stand and pedal feels odd at times, and I can't find any good rack solutions for it; the one I've made didn't turn out so hot overall. The seat clamp may slip if you're ~200 lbs or over, but there's tricks to cure that. There's no easy way to put any conventional bicycle saddle on it--the seatpost is 1-3/8" OD, and the seat bracket is a custom aluminum-extrusion job.

    The Fusion can be adjusted for a straight-up riding position and I wanted it specifically to avoid hand pressure and neck strain--but I have since found that it's more effective with the position leaned a bit forward.
    ------
    The Dynamik I don't own and haven't seen first-hand, but I would call it a "casual/bike path" bike and not really a MTB. I doubt it would withstand hard pounding like any other $1K MTB would.
    ~

    The Topeak Expedition rack works quite well on the 2006 Fusion.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

    Rans Fusion
    Catrike Road
    Bacchetta Cafe'
    Trek 7200 (For Sale)

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dallas Tx
    My Bikes
    C30 Raliegh
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you do a century on the fusion?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brasballs
    can you do a century on the fusion?
    There are people on the crankforward forum who do ride long distances on these bikes, and I would bet it would be considerably more comfortable than a regular upright bike would. I only have the OEM mid-riser bars and I'd want some bar ends on there or some way of providing different hand positions; after a couple hours nonstop my arms/hands to tend to ache a bit, just from the lack of motion.

    A century non-stop would be tough, one's rear would be aching pretty good for the last 20 miles or so. It's not really practical to stand on the pedals at all, you can lift up for short-moments to get over big bumps easily but you're basically sitting on the seat the whole time you're on the bike. (-when I say "non-stop", I mean that literally--get on the bike at the start, and do not get off the bike at all until the finish line. No rest stops, no bathroom breaks. To an extent this sort of use depends on the climate, how much water/food packed along and how long the rider can go without bathroom breaks...)

    I use a LWB recumbent for long-distance riding however; the Fusion seat is nice, but it's not as nice as a recumbent seat is. On the recumbent I generally stop every ~40 miles to stand for a bit, but 100 miles non-stop is not a big deal because one can shift around in the seat while riding to greatly alleviate pain from pressure points.
    ~

  9. #9
    touring newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Sun Kruizer 3
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also interested in the Rans Crankforward bikes. I'd love to read more replies regarding these bikes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hartland, WI
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go here

    http://www.bentrideronline.com/

    and then to specialty discussion. There is a entire group there for crank forward bikes

  11. #11
    Senior Member lowbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Recumbent
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these bikes also and it's the most comfortable CF bike that i have ridin.
    i currently own 5 Rans bikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thank
    You
    Earl

    Lightning Stealth
    Easyracers Gold Rush
    Rans Stratus 700
    Rans V3
    Optima Baron Lowracer

    2010' Toyota Sienna
    2011'Toyota Avalon LTD

    im old,fat,bald,ugly,VERY SLOW, and poor
    i need your spare change
    Bicycle Mechanic for over 44 Years

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious LeTour View Post
    I am also interested in the Rans Crankforward bikes. I'd love to read more replies regarding these bikes.

    What sort of questions do you have?

  13. #13
    Senior Member bobbycorno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southshore View Post
    Anyone own a Rans Dynamik? Thoughts?
    Oh come on. Nobody rides on of THOSE. They just look too weird!

    Scott P
    Bend, OR

    VRex
    F5
    ...both of which are perfectly normal-looking, thank you!

  14. #14
    Senior Member ChiliDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Clermont County, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 2.1, Electra Townie 21D, Fuji Saratoga 1.0
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out discussion at: www.crankforward.com, the Rans site message board.
    The bike for you is the one you will ride!

  15. #15
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug5150 View Post
    Downsides are that not being able to stand and pedal feels odd at times, and I can't find any good rack solutions for it; the one I've made didn't turn out so hot overall.
    ~


    Talk to Nanda at Spincyclz - he should be able to sort you out with a rack. I'm pretty sure an Old Man Mountain QR rack would work fine.

    ~Nanda Holz
    925.301.7043
    www.spincyclz.com
    onyourleft@spincyclz.com
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  16. #16
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,604
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
    Oh come on. Nobody rides on of THOSE. They just look too weird!

    Scott P
    Bend, OR

    VRex
    F5
    ...both of which are perfectly normal-looking, thank you!
    I agree that crank forward bikes are weird.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recumbent riders have long awaited the chance to have another bike style to refer to as weird. The abused become the abusers.

  18. #18
    Cars make you fat eh Stradavarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    My Bikes
    Several
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    questions...fire away

    [quote=vik;6365612]
    Talk to Nanda at Spincyclz - he should be able to sort you out with a rack. I'm pretty sure an Old Man Mountain QR rack would work fine.


    Thanks Vik, now...who's got questions. There are loads of photo's on my website, the Crank Fever 1.0, 2.0, and Spinventory page.

    I love the "weird" response...spoken like a true recumbent rider eh

    Here are a few of my favorite builds or in process projects:







    Last edited by Stradavarius; 03-31-08 at 02:57 PM.
    Regards,
    ~Nanda Holz
    Petaluma, CA
    925.301.7043
    www.spincyclz.com
    onyourleft at spincyclz dot com

    ...our service revolves around you

  19. #19
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If those pictures were about 33% smaller, I could see the entire bike.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

    There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •