I have several questions about recumbent bicycles. I would like to get one, but have just started my research. Please feel free to answer some or all of the following questions. Thanks!
1. What are the advantages or disadvantages of having two 26" wheels versus a front 20" wheel and a rear 26" wheel?
2. It seems that most bents have nine speeds, while my current bike has 24 speeds. Is nine speeds truly sufficient for a bent? Or is this something that might be improved--if necessary--in the future?
3. I would like to purchase a bent that can tour so it must accommodate racks, but it also must be relatively fast and have higher end components (without getting too carried away). Is that type of bent available for around $1700 or less? If so, which one would you recommend? I might spend more, but really don't want to.
4. The bent rider's feet and legs sit "high" above the ground on the pedals. Could this high feet/leg position contribute to a fall-over because the rider could not plant his or her feet on the ground quickly enough in an emergency situation?
5. If you own a bent, what do you especially love about the bike? And what do you dislike about it?