Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Crank Bash Ring for a Burley Canto

    Hi All,

    I have a Burley Canto, and would like to get a bash guard/chain ring protector for it, both to protect the bike and whatever/whomever it runs into. I have done some looking around, but can't figure out a good solution. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Mike

  2. #2
    Senior Member Shaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many Taiwanese recumbents come with them but I can't find them sold separately. It requires spacers and longer chainring screws.

    ICE (Trice) also makes one that is heavy duty and is mounted at the BB:

    http://recumbenttrikestore.com/recumbenttrike3.html




    Many Shimano cranksets have optional bash guards but I rarely see them sold separately.
    Today is a great day to ride!

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    fixed!

    I ordered and received a bash ring from the folks at purelycustom.com (http://www.purelycustom.com/p-39-bas...53t-5x130.aspx) ; I haven't installed it yet, but it looks awesome, and comes complete with the required mounting hardware. It is good to cover up to a 53 tooth ring.

    Mike

  4. #4
    Senior Member Shaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find, Mike! Can you post pictures of the supplied hardware?

    Today is a great day to ride!

  5. #5
    Senior Member bentcruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joatmsa View Post
    Hi All,

    I have a Burley Canto, and would like to get a bash guard/chain ring protector for it, both to protect the bike and whatever/whomever it runs into. I have done some looking around, but can't figure out a good solution. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Mike
    Try here:

    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...sory=996696771
    Derek
    Burley Canto

  6. #6
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    central Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    6,792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen a commercially-available protector that would fit a 55-60 tooth ring, which means they're ruled out for many 'bents. The best protection is to always keep the big ring's teeth covered by the chain!

  7. #7
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I've never seen a commercially-available protector that would fit a 55-60 tooth ring, which means they're ruled out for many 'bents. The best protection is to always keep the big ring's teeth covered by the chain!
    That's a great rationale for Putting It On The Big Ring And Keeping It There!

  8. #8
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    central Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    6,792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    That's a great rationale for Putting It On The Big Ring And Keeping It There!
    Yeah, of course the downside is when you hit something hard. When I was left-crossed by a pickup back in '07, I bent my chain - along with the rings and the spyder. But at least I didn't poke holes in the fender!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •