Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Newbie MeadMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    26 miles from Mt. Rushmore (South Dakota)
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    leg extension pedals (not rotary)

    Does anyone know of a bent with pedals that just push in and out, back and forth, not round and round? I am looking for a Taiwanese one I heard about but have been unable to find. I am a partially disabled vet and cannot do the rotating pedal thing. www.bettermotiongroup.com, out of Canada, has one they call "Hiker". I can't afford the $1800 they want. Their website has some cool videos though so you can see what kind of pedals I am talking about. Any info would be vastly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    MeadMaker

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeadMaker View Post
    Does anyone know of a bent with pedals that just push in and out, back and forth, not round and round? I am looking for a Taiwanese one I heard about but have been unable to find. I am a partially disabled vet and cannot do the rotating pedal thing. www.bettermotiongroup.com, out of Canada, has one they call "Hiker". I can't afford the $1800 they want. Their website has some cool videos though so you can see what kind of pedals I am talking about. Any info would be vastly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    MeadMaker
    The only thing that I see on the bettermotiongroup website is an intro that plays, has no volume control and the skip button doesn't work. The actual website never loaded for me, so I don't know what their bike looks like.
    ---------
    Most of the linear-drive bicycles I've heard of were home-builts.

    The only commercially-offered bike I've heard of that had a non-rotary design was the Halebikes Glider, but unfortunately at $2500 it costs quite a bit more than the Canadian mystery bike.

    Google shows a Japan company offering a couple bike/trikes apparently...
    http://www.stmfr.co.jp/recumbent.html
    ~

  3. #3
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,032
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't Taiwanese either. But it doesn't use rotary cranks.

    http://www.shererusa.com/index.html

    I won't comment on an inventor who doesn't understand the difference between torque and power. Oops, I just did!

  4. #4
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MeadMaker, you might want to talk with people at The Bike Rack down here in Illinois. They are great at fitting people with the right variation on human power, and might even be able to provide information on similar outfits closer to you.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  5. #5
    Newbie MeadMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    26 miles from Mt. Rushmore (South Dakota)
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    bettermotiongroup

    The site works for me. Thanks for trying. $1800 is looking better and better.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeadMaker View Post
    The site works for me. Thanks for trying. $1800 is looking better and better.
    After I waited about 60 seconds, the site did work. I think the problem is possibly a slow web server, and the fact that they have a fairly-big video that auto-plays on the main page of the website.

    The bettermotion trike is a tilting rear-wheel-steer design. These can work fine at lower speeds on flat pavement but you'd have to be careful to never go very fast on it (especially over rough pavement or ground) because it is not dynamically stable.
    ~

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt bents
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the linear drive, you are still going to have to bend your knees and rotate at the hip joint. If you get any old trike and put shorter cranks on it, that will save you a lot of money over the cost of a proprietary linear system and it'll also limit the flexion of your joints. ? Also, from what I've seen and read, some of those linear drives have mechanisms that require a full pedal stroke, so if your intention was to do short, partial strokes to limit knee bend, you might not be able to do it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt bents
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug5150 View Post
    After I waited about 60 seconds, the site did work. I think the problem is possibly a slow web server, and the fact that they have a fairly-big video that auto-plays on the main page of the website.

    The bettermotion trike is a tilting rear-wheel-steer design. These can work fine at lower speeds on flat pavement but you'd have to be careful to never go very fast on it (especially over rough pavement or ground) because it is not dynamically stable.
    ~
    I saw two of these trikes at the Ride for heart in Toronto on Sunday the 1st of June. I don't think anyone would have to worry about going "very fast" with them unless you were heading downhill. The two guys riding them looked pretty wrung out at the 25km turn-around. They looked big, heavy and ungainly and certainly weren't setting any kind of example for performance. At 70lbs, they are as heavy as a velomobile with a fraction of the efficiency and performance. I am all for innovation and new ideas and spreading the word about bents. For the life of me though, I cannot understand why people continually try to reinvent the lever arm linear design when it displays no advantages (for a HPV) over the plain old circular pedals and adds nothing but weight and complexity and STILL has to resort to the CIRCULAR chain/sprocket for a final drive. You could get a couple, fairly simple Catrikes, or 3 TW Bents for the cost of one of these trikes too, AND 2 Cats would likely be lighter as well. For the effort, they could have started making some simple, inexpensive 8 speed tadpoles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •