Please Help! I have been researching for over a month and am overwhelmed by the number of options. I want/need advice about specific models that you think would best fit most of my criteria. There was and is no chance I will be able to test ride one.
Please also offer your opinions re SUN x-3 USX (new delta) EZ3 USX HD (delta- minor changes from prior model) and Sidewinder Sportz (tad)
Price limit $2,500 - must include options accessories modifications and way to transport without a hitch (and rain cover - an accessory but not one normally thought of) . Regarding accessories, I have only a helmet
- Five days a week 2 - 10 miles starting and stopping for 30 minutes at a stretch on gravel unmaintained roads in all kinds of weather and light traffic (but consisting of big vehicles).
- Twice a month (min) I'll ride 20 - 60 mile fun ride.
- Want ability to ride on mountain bike trails
- NO racing
- Rare if ever Big City traffic
- Will be riding along with RVs on roads with little shoulder but low speed limits mostly
- Keep in mind I am 50 , unfit, overweight, short, and arthritic
Seat uprightness and adjustability, ease of climbing very steep sometimes long hills and overall width 33 or less inches are 3 top criteria. Ive been looking for over a month and am out of time. Please help.
- Seat comfort. - I am 5'4" 195 lbs so I am wide load.
- A padded office chair saddle of 17-18 inches is fine but I am wider than the chair saddle.
- head rest to reduce neck strain
- ability to create some lumbar support if needed
- Seat Adjustability
- recline - ability to sit upright to photograph birds while seated and stationary
- tilt adjust but not a must
- forward backward adjust on seat important or having an adjustable boon- concerned about position of recline affect on pedal reach and knee extension
- prefer saddle and back of seat move independently of each other so that I can change the angle of my hip in relation to my back - to relive pain on longer rides
- Seat height - ambivalent - prefer easy entry exit and being able to look around easily while riding and not be road kill for some RV, but like sitting on floor and can sit in 8 inch camping chair - that doesn't have wheels or anything else interfering with ease of exit
- Riding position - prefer more upright position while riding so i can see potholes and critters in time to react and my vision is not great - am thinking 70 degrees
- shorter xseam of 40.5 inches - need smaller crank?
- GRANNY gears - out of shape and must climb steep hills, and some long - want bottom of gear inch range to be 12 or lower (might not be able to afford- really want 6 inches - would love the Schlumpf Mountain Drive
- USS - relieve shoulder and wrist pain
- bar end shifter - hand strength issue
- ground clearance for pot holes and off road riding
- tire durability - no flat tires - coarse pavement, obsidian beaches, rock and gravel dirt roads, mountain bike trails. Want thorn resistant tubes or something similar and set of studded tires for winter
- Rain- It rains here more days than not and I would LOVE to have SPLASH GUARD - this almost made me buy sidewinder in spite of concerns about seat comfort - here is example from sidewinder http://www.sidewindercycle.com/store...p?idProduct=16
- Clipless pedal and shoes OR some method to keep feet on pedal if that is likely problem
- Weight capacity 260, prefer 300. I am 190 and want to be able to carry at least 50 lbs
- Cargo -place for rack that can support 50 lbs (absolute minimum 25 lbs)
- suspension - not a must but would be nice - I will mostly be on uneven gravel unmaintained roads full of potholes
- Weight - I can barely get 50 lbs bag of dog food from grocery cart into car. No need to climb stairs but will need to transport in 1997 RAV 4
- Width - overall - want less than 33 inches to easily roll through door with 33.5 inch clearance
- 2 Wheel Drive - would be awesome if it helped with traction on snow and climbing steep gravel road hills
- Foldable - would really solve transport problem, - cant afford permanent attachments on car such as hitch. If quick and easy would help with storage
- Derailleurs - I need very easy smooth shifting as most of my riding will be on hills. I know nothing about various models to look for except not SRAM 4 (or was it 4x)
- Maintenance - need low maintenance. Bike shop is 130 miles away and I am not mechanically inclined
- Stability - I wont be racing but I will be going DOWN the same long steep hills I must go up
- Indirect steering
- Brakes - probably need disc because of the excessive rain we get here
- We get strong winds here
Noted forum comments :
- "avoid super heavy trike models like the Sun "
- Because of the lower riding position of Tadpoles, you get a lot more spray on you if you ride in the wet.
- something about knee pain and leg extension and getting a shorter crank (which i also understand is better for shorter riders)
Models I had selected::
1st choice : based on comfort. I had decided on SUN EZ3 USX HD (65 lbs) (2008 model) or X-3 USX (weight unknown) because of seat adjustability height comfort and can roll through door. Had planned to upgrade gear system to lower gear inch range, buy better tires etc.. However these are 2008 models and it was only Friday that I got price quotes of $1800-1900 in Alaska. . Am also looking at possibly spending $300 - 600 on shipping
2nd choice : based on ability to climb mountains. The Sidewinder Sportz has many things I want but my xseem is 40.4" and I would have to have seat fully reclined in order to reach pedal (tall persons sits more in upright position ). Owner suggested bending a part of the seat or frame (I have forgotten which) to help sit more upright. Seems like it would weaken the metal the piece being bent.
I looked at Greenspeed Cattrike Terratrike Sidewinder Actionbent and numerous others and now they all run together in my mind and I simply do not know enough about components and trikes to make an educated decision. For example, I did not realize until Late Thursday night that the trike I had selected (SidewinderSportz) would not allow me to sit upright and still reach pedals (So I switched my 1st choice back to SUN. I really need help
Note to self - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ and set the calculator to "gear inches". If you anticipate some serious hills,