Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-04, 10:14 AM   #1
Canuck1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Front wheel drive bent

Have any of you ever seen or heard of a front wheel drive bent? It seems to me that I heard of a guy who built a SWB that articulated in the middle so the drive was on the front part driving the front wheel. I think he could stear with his legs. Is this true or just a bad dream.
Canuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 12:29 PM   #2
bentrox!
horizontally adapted
 
bentrox!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWD bents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
Have any of you ever seen or heard of a front wheel drive bent? It seems to me that I heard of a guy who built a SWB that articulated in the middle so the drive was on the front part driving the front wheel. I think he could stear with his legs. Is this true or just a bad dream.
Read this for reasons why there aren't more front-wheel drive bents:
http://www.ihpva.org/pipermail/trike...er/027635.html
Note the website for Zoxbikes.

Also, I think this "divisible low racer" front-wheel drive design is elegant:
http://www.fastfwd.nl/eng/index.php
Check out his kid trikes - also front drive.
__________________
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all.
bentrox! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 02:49 PM   #3
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
Have any of you ever seen or heard of a front wheel drive bent? It seems to me that I heard of a guy who built a SWB that articulated in the middle so the drive was on the front part driving the front wheel. I think he could stear with his legs. Is this true or just a bad dream.
I can't believe you haven't seen the carbon fiber cobra.........

I rode this bike around the track at Northbrook....... very fast and I was able to get used to it pretty quick........ nothing wrong with front wheel drive that I could feel....... just different. Edd Ginn pilots this bike to 32mph very easily and holds it there.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisi...dGinCobra1.jpg
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 05:48 PM   #4
Canuck1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of building one but I want something that is practical for the street. I don't think the Cobra would have much turning ability the way the chain is run.
Canuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 06:05 PM   #5
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of building one but I want something that is practical for the street. I don't think the Cobra would have much turning ability the way the chain is run.
It actually turns pretty sharp. You can turn it around on your own side of the street.
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 09:02 PM   #6
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fwd links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of building one but I want something that is practical for the street. I don't think the Cobra would have much turning ability the way the chain is run.
Cobra steers in front not middle.
Python is fwd with middle articulated steering: http://www.python.tieflieger.net/

The objections you raised to fwd lowracer appear more characteristic of lowracer than fwd.

Fwd rear steer: http://www.rowvelo.com/

Rear steer bike page: http://www.wannee.nl/hpv/abt/e-index.htm

Fwd construction links: http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/frame/links/links.htm

Tom Traylorfrd sells fwd recumbent plans:
http://traylorf wd.home.mindspring.com

fwd with gear hub http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/psychology/bok/fwd.html



http://www.stitesdesign.com/wrap_hpv.html


http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~bkwillia/fwd.html
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 09:05 AM   #7
Canuck1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, with the Cobra, there is enough flex in the chain to allow the front wheel to be turned quite a bit? It looks line the wheel would hit the chain on right handers. Does the chain every jump gears on sharp turns?

I see on some designs where the chain has been routed down the axis of the fork and then relies on the twisting flexibility of the chain. This seems to be the simplest and most practical approach.

Thanks for all the info!
Canuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 08:14 PM   #8
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
So, with the Cobra, there is enough flex in the chain to allow the front wheel to be turned quite a bit? It looks line the wheel would hit the chain on right handers. Does the chain every jump gears on sharp turns?

I see on some designs where the chain has been routed down the axis of the fork and then relies on the twisting flexibility of the chain. This seems to be the simplest and most practical approach.

Thanks for all the info!
If I remember right, the cobra uses a special chain which flexes more than normal chains.
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-04, 11:11 PM   #9
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cobra chain routing

Many lowracerís have two chain configurations- lower race trim and a higher street configuration which provides less interference with a turning wheel.

I donít know if the Cobra has only one configuration or if this might be a street or a race configuration. Ed Gin uses his Cobra for both, so itís hard to be sure from this photo what configuration may be at shown if the cobra has multiple configurations.

I donít know why in a street configuration you wouldnít route the low tension chain up the fork with a second return side idler to give more chain-wheel clearance. Losses with the drive side idler shown would be several times any loss due an idler on the low tension chain return.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-04, 10:58 AM   #10
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cobra stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb
Many lowracerís have two chain configurations- lower race trim and a higher street configuration which provides less interference with a turning wheel.

I donít know if the Cobra has only one configuration or if this might be a street or a race configuration. Ed Gin uses his Cobra for both, so itís hard to be sure from this photo what configuration may be at shown if the cobra has multiple configurations.

I donít know why in a street configuration you wouldnít route the low tension chain up the fork with a second return side idler to give more chain-wheel clearance. Losses with the drive side idler shown would be several times any loss due an idler on the low tension chain return.
If interested more in this stuff...... check out http://www.recumbents.com/monkeyisland/

This site is dedicated to lowracers and obtaining more speed plus just general bashing and bs mixed in.
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-04, 11:09 AM   #11
cycletourist
opinionated SOB
 
cycletourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Branson, Missouri USA
Bikes:
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Front wheel drive recumbent? Isn't that a BigWheel? They have those at K-mart.
cycletourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-04, 03:16 PM   #12
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletourist
Front wheel drive recumbent? Isn't that a BigWheel? They have those at K-mart.
hmm........just wait till you get passed by one of those so called big wheels.......
You may change your mind about them being distributed at K-mart.
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-04, 09:48 PM   #13
bentrox!
horizontally adapted
 
bentrox!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let it go, Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer1
hmm........just wait till you get passed by one of those so called big wheels.......
You may change your mind about them being distributed at K-mart.
Don't let cycletourist yank your chain. Nice enough guy I'm sure, but he will never get it.
__________________
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all.
bentrox! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 09:33 AM   #14
cycletourist
opinionated SOB
 
cycletourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Branson, Missouri USA
Bikes:
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was trying to be funny but you guys missed it. You do know what a BigWheel is? Surely you had one as a kid.
cycletourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 09:39 AM   #15
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
big wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletourist
I was trying to be funny but you guys missed it. You do know what a BigWheel is? Surely you had one as a kid.

yup..... I remember......had one....... I got the joke. just had to post back something. Have fun!
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 09:49 AM   #16
Barry
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: OK
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWD bent

Barcroft cycles in Church Falls Virginia has a new Oregon that costs about 3000 and weighs about 29-30 LBs. Bill Cook is the owner and he has a website: www.barcroftcycles.com
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 10:20 AM   #17
bentrider
Senior Member
 
bentrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Musquodoboit Harbour,N.S., Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWD SWB Articulated Frame Flevo bike

I have a friend who recently built his SWB, FWD and it has an articulated frame. The design is based on a flevobike racer that we saw when touring Holland in 2000. It has two small wheels (20" I think) and the stays are single front and back with a rubber bung that sort of acts as a shock.It also is under seat steering. I've tried riding it myself but am totally inept. When we saw the Dutch cyclist ride it he could steer without his hands just by leaning one way or the other.One can get the plans off the web somewhere which is where my friend got his but he ordered all the components from Flevobike in Droten Holland.

He lives in Nova Scotia and can be reached at scooter.baker@ns.sympatico.ca
bentrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-04, 09:21 PM   #18
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master
 
lowracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
another front wheel drive

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=5544

Another carbon wonder. This bike reportably weighs in at only 16.5 lbs.
lowracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 12:01 PM   #19
Canuck1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is very cool. The FWD really simplifies the design allowing the lower weight. Looks like a second bottom bracket right above the fork for the drive chain and an idler for the low-tension return chain. This would not be that hard to build.
Canuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-04, 05:18 PM   #20
dchristensen
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
Have any of you ever seen or heard of a front wheel drive bent? It seems to me that I heard of a guy who built a SWB that articulated in the middle so the drive was on the front part driving the front wheel. I think he could stear with his legs. Is this true or just a bad dream.

Try the president of the Minnesota HPVA he knows the guy who built one of the most kick ass bents you will ever want to ride.
dchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-04, 06:26 PM   #21
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
That is very cool. The FWD really simplifies the design allowing the lower weight. Looks like a second bottom bracket right above the fork for the drive chain and an idler for the low-tension return chain. This would not be that hard to build.
Here is an unusual and very simply lwb fwd bent:

home.mho.net/rohorn/pics/...er/08.html
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-04, 09:09 PM   #22
Canuck1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meb, I couldn't get that link to work.
Canuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-04, 09:56 PM   #23
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
full link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
Meb, I couldn't get that link to work.
http://home.mho.net/rohorn/pics/flowroller/08.html
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-04, 09:43 PM   #24
Canuck1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meb, now that is an interesting design. I can't even image what it would be like to ride. Is it a 3 speed? Do you know any more about it?
Canuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 09:17 PM   #25
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1
Meb, now that is an interesting design. I can't even image what it would be like to ride. Is it a 3 speed? Do you know any more about it?
36 lbs, 69" WHEELBASE. HE SAYS THERE IS A LOT OF WHEEL FLOP, BUT ONE EVENTUALLY GETS USED TO IT.

CERTAINLY A VERY NICE LOOKING FWD BIKE. IT HAS ME RECONSIDERING THE SWB FWD HIGHRACER I WAS INTENTED TO BUILD.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 AM.