Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    The Recycled Cycler markwebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    My Bikes
    Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Recumbent Muscles

    My back is shot and riding a traditional road frame has become painful. I'm looking at recumebents, but not necessarily growing the requisite white beard

    Anyway, I am looking at a traditional LWB like the Tour Easy with a diamond sorta geometry.

    Question - I am really concerned about losing ability to climb hills on a recumbent. In spite of my back problems I am still an excellent hill climber and better than 90% of folks out there on road bikes.

    I have severe atrophy in my calves because of the nerve damage in my spine, but my quads stay in pretty good cycling shape.

    So here is my question - on a recumebnt like a Tour Easy - what muscles are most important on 1) flats and 2) climbing? If calves were most important, then I'd lose any advantage I get standing and climbing or pushing on my traditional frame, and I'd be walking up most hills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Check Out My Gal - Folk Singer Molly McCormack : http://www.mollymccormack.com

  2. #2
    Licensed Bike Geek Davet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Los Barriles, Baja Sur, Mexico
    My Bikes
    Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol
    Posts
    955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife bought a Rans V2 last month and after several hundred miles she's reporting that her quads suffer more, riding the same routes, than riding her Calfee.

  3. #3
    The Recycled Cycler markwebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    My Bikes
    Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if that means she's working out her quads more than on her standard roadbike - which would be good for me. Maybe she uses fewer muscles (less calves etc)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    My wife bought a Rans V2 last month and after several hundred miles she's reporting that her quads suffer more, riding the same routes, than riding her Calfee.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Check Out My Gal - Folk Singer Molly McCormack : http://www.mollymccormack.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckhorn, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. I feel like a bit of a rookie responding here as I've only been riding bent for 6 years, and about 11,000 km. For me, and we're all different, my legs seem to be getting a more complete "workout" on the bent. My quads, calves and hamstrings ached for a long time when I started, but not anymore. Yes, I'm slower up hill, but I don't care. I can hold my own with the DF's on the flat and I'm faster downhill. But it's all about comfort. Ten years ago I herniated two discs and carpel tunnel and neck and butt pain made long distance riding impossible. I can't count the number of stem extensions, saddle positions, etc., I tried but nothing seemed to work. The recumbent has solved all of that. I'm having fun once again and enjoying the distance without pain. I don't really care how fast I am. I have been managing 2-3000 km in our 6 month cycling season so I'm happy.

    Mike

  5. #5
    Senior Member charly17201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    My Bikes
    RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a fairly new bent rider (since Feb), I've found that my calves don't get near the workout that my quads do.
    Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm.

    In response to bicycling being so dangerous: "We could all died today from any number of accidents. I'm not going to stop living to keep from dying." The Northern Tier by Lief Carlsen

  6. #6
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,361
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that bents isolate the quads rather than the calves. Calves are worked more while standing, and obviously you can't stand on a bent. On the hilliest days on RAGBRAI this year, only my quads got sore.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be fine. I ride a TE, the trick to climbing on any recumbent is to spin. Make sure you have your gearing low enough for the steepest hills that you ride. Don't worry about the speed at first that will come as you develop bent legs. Put a fairing on the bike that will make it more aero and help with the speed you want.

  8. #8
    Bikes are good El Julioso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    2000 Schwinn Moab 1, heavily modified
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have limited use of your calves, the best thing for you to do is likely to move your cleats (assuming you ride with clipless pedals) as close to your ankle as possible. The whole purpose of the calf muscles is to use the foot as a lever to give one that extra "kick" in, say, running or jumping (although their function in cycling is mostly just to prevent the foot from rotating towards the patella under power). The end of that lever is the ball of the foot, which is normally where the cleat should be for optimum power; however, with limited calf function, it would be best to move the cleat back on the foot to improve the leverage of the calves and decrease the amount of work they have to do.

    Having said that, if your feet don't have any trouble staying in their proper position while pedaling, your calves are probably strong enough. Fiddle with your setup to find what works for you. And keep in mind that you will definitely be slower at first on a recumbent regardless of your setup, because you won't be adapted to the motions yet. I'm sure it would be the same story if you rode a recumbent your whole life and then switched to a DF.

  9. #9
    The Recycled Cycler markwebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    My Bikes
    Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great independent evaluation for a phenomena that I discovered several years ago, although I did not know enough to attribute ity to the calf muscles. I use toe clips on my road bike, and I use larger than normal toe clips so I can move the middle of foot over pedals and thus push more with the middle of my foot than the ball/toe area. I get more power that way. You substantiated what I found. Thanks !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by El Julioso View Post
    If you have limited use of your calves, the best thing for you to do is likely to move your cleats (assuming you ride with clipless pedals) as close to your ankle as possible. The whole purpose of the calf muscles is to use the foot as a lever to give one that extra "kick" in, say, running or jumping (although their function in cycling is mostly just to prevent the foot from rotating towards the patella under power). The end of that lever is the ball of the foot, which is normally where the cleat should be for optimum power; however, with limited calf function, it would be best to move the cleat back on the foot to improve the leverage of the calves and decrease the amount of work they have to do.

    Having said that, if your feet don't have any trouble staying in their proper position while pedaling, your calves are probably strong enough. Fiddle with your setup to find what works for you. And keep in mind that you will definitely be slower at first on a recumbent regardless of your setup, because you won't be adapted to the motions yet. I'm sure it would be the same story if you rode a recumbent your whole life and then switched to a DF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Check Out My Gal - Folk Singer Molly McCormack : http://www.mollymccormack.com

  10. #10
    The Recycled Cycler markwebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    My Bikes
    Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup - it's that excruitating butt pain that makes it so difficult to ride a road bike anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by mchell View Post
    Hmmm. I feel like a bit of a rookie responding here as I've only been riding bent for 6 years, and about 11,000 km. For me, and we're all different, my legs seem to be getting a more complete "workout" on the bent. My quads, calves and hamstrings ached for a long time when I started, but not anymore. Yes, I'm slower up hill, but I don't care. I can hold my own with the DF's on the flat and I'm faster downhill. But it's all about comfort. Ten years ago I herniated two discs and carpel tunnel and neck and butt pain made long distance riding impossible. I can't count the number of stem extensions, saddle positions, etc., I tried but nothing seemed to work. The recumbent has solved all of that. I'm having fun once again and enjoying the distance without pain. I don't really care how fast I am. I have been managing 2-3000 km in our 6 month cycling season so I'm happy.

    Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Check Out My Gal - Folk Singer Molly McCormack : http://www.mollymccormack.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markwebb View Post
    ... on a recumebnt like a Tour Easy - what muscles are most important on 1) flats and 2) climbing? If calves were most important, then I'd lose any advantage I get standing and climbing or pushing on my traditional frame, and I'd be walking up most hills.
    I think there are some articles in the human powered vehicle literature. The one paper I have read did not show striking differences recumbent vs upright. However, the "recumbent" position studied was not very recumbent because the bottom bracket was well below the seat. This would make the results more relevant to the Tour Easy versus a typical high- or low-racer where the BB bracket is at or above the seat height.

    Reference: J Biomech Eng. 2005 Apr;127(2):301-10. Functional roles of the leg muscles when pedaling in the recumbent versus the upright position. Hakansson NA, Hull ML.
    Abstract

  12. #12
    Bikes are good El Julioso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    2000 Schwinn Moab 1, heavily modified
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markwebb View Post
    That's a great independent evaluation for a phenomena that I discovered several years ago, although I did not know enough to attribute ity to the calf muscles. I use toe clips on my road bike, and I use larger than normal toe clips so I can move the middle of foot over pedals and thus push more with the middle of my foot than the ball/toe area. I get more power that way. You substantiated what I found. Thanks !!!
    You're welcome. Enjoy the 'bent!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because i put crank shorteners on my HiRacer i also lowered the gearing to compensate and put a mtb crank on. My ride climbs like a mountain goat now. Just spin like a fiend and as you probably know, as your 'bent legs get stronger you'll be able to spin in higher gear

    +1 with the moving the cleats back.
    They might have all the watches but ive got the time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •