Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/)
-   -   Advice for buying first recumbent (http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/472463-advice-buying-first-recumbent.html)

JohnSoCal 10-02-08 07:56 AM

Advice for buying first recumbent
 
I was a serious bicyclist ( 200 miles /week ) on a standard upright bicycle. I had to quit a few years ago due to back problems. I am now considering a recumbent 3 wheel bike. I am older and overweight and need to get some exercise into my weight loss program. Bicycling is one of the only forms of exercise that I really enjoy.

I have just started looking at the recumbent and the only ones I have investigated so far are the SUN EZ-3 AX and SUN EZ-3 SX. My closest local bike store will sell me the SUN EZ-3 AX for $1,249 which seems to be a very good price compared to what I am seeing at other dealers on-line.

All of my riding would be touring on paved roads. I do not do any commuting and can ride whenever I like. MY goal is to work up to 50-75 mile rides like I used to do though it will take several months as I am not in the good physical shape that I was then.

I would appreciate any info or advice that you good folks could offer regarding different brands and models and the pros and cons of each. Price is not a deciding factor. Comfort is definitely the major factor and initially has to be able to handle my size. I definitely want very good quality components.

Thanks in advance.

Rogerinchrist 10-02-08 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnSoCal (Post 7589402)



I would appreciate any info or advice that you good folks could offer regarding different brands and models and the pros and cons of each. Price is not a deciding factor. Comfort is definitely the major factor and initially has to be able to handle my size. I definitely want very good quality components.

Thanks in advance.

Test ride, Test Ride, TEST RIDE!!!

~Roger

JanMM 10-02-08 04:15 PM

Are you sure you want a trike and not a bike?

BlazingPedals 10-02-08 07:49 PM

Test ride every style recumbent you can find. Do not limit yourself to one, two, or even three brands/models. Your personal info says "southern California." If you're anywhere around the LA basin, you should visit Bentup Cycles in Van Nuys.

Floyd 10-03-08 10:49 AM

I am just going to repeat what has been said...try what you can to get an idea of what you like, then go from there.
Congrats on getting the exercize you need. Keep up the good work.

sooooo lucky 10-10-08 11:55 AM

John,

I bought my recumbent about 4 years ago, after back surgery, and a total hip replacement both in the same year. Like you I could no longer ride a conventional bike. I got a Rans Stratus due to the lower bottom bracket, and it having a LWB, and the overall comfort of the bike. Last year at 59 years old I rode the entire coast of Oregon with my son. The recumbent was great to ride day after day. After 410 miles in 7-days, never had a problem. If you live in southern you might try Richards Bicycles in Cerritos, they carry a large selection of recumbents, and are very knowledgable. I generally ride 30 to 50 miles a week. Don't but the first recumbent you see, look at a lot of different ones and test ride everyone.

Good Luck,

gcottay 10-10-08 12:37 PM

Test, test, test, buy, ride ride ride, ride, test, buy, ride, ride ride . . . .

JohnSoCal 10-10-08 12:50 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate everybody's help.

MarkMe 10-10-08 06:23 PM

Good idea
 
John,
Yes, test ride. And ck the Pictures section of this forum to see what's ava. There are basically 4 different styles of 2 wheel recumbents and lots of variants to.
Mark

Dchiefransom 10-10-08 06:56 PM

For that weight bike, see if you can test ride an EZ Tadpole. You've still got 3 wheels but it might be more stable during turns.

steveknight 10-11-08 12:24 AM

bents vary far more then any other bike type. so trying as many as possible is pretty critical. even then you may not make a perfect choice the first time.
I was not too bad on my burly limbo but it was not great the frame broke and I got a hepcat frame. that was worse my body did not like my legs so high it was like peddling up hill. I really noticed this on bike that got my legs up high. high racers and trikes. got on a tour easy and I was 2 to 3 miles a hour faster it was no work to peddle. got my feel lower and I was a happy camper.

Recumbomatic 10-12-08 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerinchrist (Post 7592304)
Test ride, Test Ride, TEST RIDE!!!

~Roger

Just ask Peter Stull (aka the Bicycle Man): video

JohnSoCal 10-13-08 01:40 AM

That was a great video. Hopefully, I can find a bike shop reasonably close to home that is like the one in the video.

JohnSoCal 10-13-08 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I checked out their web site. It looks like all they carry are 2 wheel bents. I am looking for a 3 wheel bent with 2 wheels in the back. I saw a really neat one that somebody was riding a couple weeks ago in Marina Del Rey.

defjack 10-13-08 01:28 PM

Go to Bent up they carry Caterike,Greenspeed ,ICE ,Sun trikes +plenty of 2 wheel bents. I live in Santa Monica and have 2 Cruzbikes if you want to try one . You are looking for a delta Bent up also has some of them. Jack

Recumbomatic 10-13-08 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnSoCal (Post 7656350)
3 wheel bent with 2 wheels in the back. I saw a really neat one that somebody was riding a couple weeks ago in Marina Del Rey.

Ok, so you're looking for a delta trike. Like one of these?

That will narrow your choices down to just a few manufacturers: Hase, Greenspeed (model: Anura), and Sun.


Dana has the Kett too: http://bentupcycles.com/itemlist.cfm...d%25&Brand=101

djwid 10-13-08 06:26 PM

Rans new trike is a delta the TRIZARD - http://www.ransbikes.com/Trizard.htm
It also can be put into train mode like the Hase deltas.

JohnSoCal 10-14-08 03:20 AM

What I am looking for is very similar to those ones except I want handle bars.

scrapser 05-13-09 06:52 PM

I watched the video of the Trizard. It's a really cool bike but the first thing that jumped out at me was the idler sprocket underneath the bike. It looks pretty fragile being so close to the ground. The bike has such a long wheelbase I would be concerned going over ground that resembled a hump (like how speedbumps can screw up cars if they're low enough). I realize the sprocket is between the rear wheels but all it takes is the right shape of hump and....

fredame 06-08-09 06:52 PM

searching
 
You sound much like me. A former road biker, I had an accident (not with a car) and need a safer way if I am to continue riding. It is the only form of exercise that I enjoy enough to keep myself in good shape. Your words could have been my own.

Just began looking into recumbent trikes and am trying to get past the learning curve to understand what I need. I found a good site that explains a lot about recumbent bikes and trikes, including analysis of various brands and types, including costs and features. The site manager is available by email or phone for discussion. I called and he recommended coming in for test riding (at least 50 miles on a variety of trikes) to narrow down what is best for me. Since he is within driving distance I hope to go and spend a few days.

He stocks a wide range of them and is not a sales type; his orientation is answering questions (teaching) and letting you make your own choices. Google this: "Bicycleman" and check it out. I hope it helps you. I also have searched online at the Bookstores for books on recumbent trikes that give this same type of information. Haven't found anything yet, so if anyone has, please let me know. Thanks!

gloryforixseal 06-16-09 02:44 PM

Advice for buying first recumbent
 
Hi Jahesh

You will have a great time - Im not camping but have hosptiality for the sunday. A few of us from the board will be meeting up - so feel free to join us

I know you said you have a hotel booked but is that for your stay in the uk or for Creamfields? Are you camping?

Leroy

Mr. Markets 06-16-09 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooooo lucky (Post 7640066)
John,

I bought my recumbent about 4 years ago, after back surgery, and a total hip replacement both in the same year. Like you I could no longer ride a conventional bike. I got a Rans Stratus due to the lower bottom bracket, and it having a LWB, and the overall comfort of the bike. Last year at 59 years old I rode the entire coast of Oregon with my son. The recumbent was great to ride day after day. After 410 miles in 7-days, never had a problem. If you live in southern you might try Richards Bicycles in Cerritos, they carry a large selection of recumbents, and are very knowledgable. I generally ride 30 to 50 miles a week. Don't but the first recumbent you see, look at a lot of different ones and test ride everyone.

Good Luck,

5 weeks past my first Total Hip Replacement I did my first 5 mile ride on my bent today. WOO HOO!

I own a Longbikes Slipstream
(see: http://www.longbikes.com/SiteII/Bike...reamSpecs.html )
and am probably one of the only riders on this forum to buy a bike WITHOUT having ever ridden it beforehand.

I got it last year when I was having numbing in my hands, a stiff back from riding DF bikes, and with
the knowledge of hip replacement coming up. I REALLY like this bike. No, it is not 'fast' by any means
and it is not 'light' in the least. But I got it build extra long for me (I am tall) with extra heavyweight
wheels, and my own custom color (no other Slipstream has my color).

I chose the Slipstream because I knew I did NOT want 'monkey bars', and thus my selection was
rather limited in UnderSeatStreering models. It took me all of 1 minute to get used to the USS
when I did my first ride. Seriously. It was easy. I would not trade USS for anything else it is
so comfortable and natural.


When the OP chooses their first bike, I definitely suggest you try an USS model somehow.

hannahmontana 06-17-09 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Markets (Post 9113083)
5 weeks past my first Total Hip Replacement I did my first 5 mile ride on my bent today. WOO HOO!

I own a Longbikes Slipstream
(see: http://www.longbikes.com/SiteII/Bike...reamSpecs.html )
and am probably one of the only riders on this forum to buy a bike WITHOUT having ever ridden it beforehand.

I got it last year when I was having numbing in my hands, a stiff back from riding DF bikes, and with
the knowledge of hip replacement coming up. I REALLY like this bike. No, it is not 'fast' by any means
and it is not 'light' in the least. But I got it build extra long for me (I am tall) with extra heavyweight
wheels, and my own custom color (no other Slipstream has my color).

I chose the Slipstream because I knew I did NOT want 'monkey bars', and thus my selection was
rather limited in UnderSeatStreering models. It took me all of 1 minute to get used to the USS
when I did my first ride. Seriously. It was easy. I would not trade USS for anything else it is
so comfortable and natural.


When the OP chooses their first bike, I definitely suggest you try an USS model somehow.

Hey, best wishes on a full recovery Mr. M.

jgjulio 06-18-09 07:25 AM

Richards bikes in Garden Grove, Ca has trikes.
http://www.richardscyclery.com/

I only visited their shop once but was impressed with the service and attention I got from them.
I am looking not buying a recumbent bike yet and this is one LBS I will return to.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 AM.