Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-04, 08:41 PM   #1
guardrail
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14
Revive conversion to SRAM Duo Drive 7spd = 21spd total

I have a Red 2004 Revive which is 8speed - rear cassette only.

In Europe they build a 21 speed with the SRAM Duo-Drive.

I'm about convinced I'm going to try to get a rear wheel with the DuoDrive in it, along with the shifter and probably the derailuer. I need some better hill climbing capability.

Has anyone investiaged this?

I did find the DuoDrive but its either 32 or 36 spoke and the bike rim is 28 so the rim has to go anyway.
guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 11:54 PM   #2
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail
I have a Red 2004 Revive which is 8speed - rear cassette only.

In Europe they build a 21 speed with the SRAM Duo-Drive.

I'm about convinced I'm going to try to get a rear wheel with the DuoDrive in it, along with the shifter and probably the derailuer. I need some better hill climbing capability.

Has anyone investiaged this?

I did find the DuoDrive but its either 32 or 36 spoke and the bike rim is 28 so the rim has to go anyway.
No derailer change going from 8 to 7, the interval control is in the shifter. IF you switch to the SRAM shifter that has the gear and derailer on one hand, you have an SRAM/Shimano derailer incompatibility problem.
No point in replacing the shifter anyway if you covert to dual drive 8 instead of dual drive 7, just get a 3 speed SRAM shifter for the left to operate the gear hub.

Schlumpf Mountain drive is another alternative to the Dual Drive-slightly more expensive but gives a broader ratio range and more hillclimbing capacity.

Front der triple could be a less expensive upgrade.

Schlumpf + 2 speed fder gets you 32 speeds.

BTW, Shimano's 3X8 dual drive equivalent is supposed to be available this summer so they may have a Shimano standard single hand shifter for their Nexave 3X8 drive if you prefer it in one hand.

Last edited by meb; 06-06-04 at 12:12 AM.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 12:24 PM   #3
cjs1948
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail
I have a Red 2004 Revive which is 8speed - rear cassette only.

In Europe they build a 21 speed with the SRAM Duo-Drive.

I'm about convinced I'm going to try to get a rear wheel with the DuoDrive in it, along with the shifter and probably the derailuer. I need some better hill climbing capability.

Has anyone investiaged this?

I did find the DuoDrive but its either 32 or 36 spoke and the bike rim is 28 so the rim has to go anyway.
I have two Revives which I have converted and are now VERY acceptable. However, I didn't change anything complicated or expensive. I installed an eight-speed Megarange cassette and a Rapid-rise derailleur with a longer chain. The cassette now goes from 11 to 34. This is an economical solution that makes the bikes very usable (I considered them quite marginal before). I highly recommend this solution. The bikes also perform much better with better tires. We are riding Maxxis Hookworms, 50psi front and about 75psi rear. (I'm using lower front pressure for safety because of flop/plow and the relative weight on the front--was recommended by Cannondale on their recumbent which I once had.)

If you do your own labor, this conversion costs about $65 per bike--plus tires if you haven't already done that.

CS (Denver)
cjs1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 09:08 PM   #4
guardrail
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14
What are the manufacturer and part number for the cassette, chain, derailluer ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs1948
I have two Revives which I have converted and are now VERY acceptable. However, I didn't change anything complicated or expensive. I installed an eight-speed Megarange cassette and a Rapid-rise derailleur with a longer chain. The cassette now goes from 11 to 34. This is an economical solution that makes the bikes very usable (I considered them quite marginal before). I highly recommend this solution. The bikes also perform much better with better tires. We are riding Maxxis Hookworms, 50psi front and about 75psi rear. (I'm using lower front pressure for safety because of flop/plow and the relative weight on the front--was recommended by Cannondale on their recumbent which I once had.)

If you do your own labor, this conversion costs about $65 per bike--plus tires if you haven't already done that.

CS (Denver)
guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 05:46 AM   #5
ruchai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Siracha, Thailand
Bikes:
Posts: 106
Is the derailleur leg too long for Revive's 20" wheel? I had been thinking of doing the same modification to my Revive but looking at picture of Revive21 made me relucktant to convert.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/images.../REVIVE-21.jpg
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 03:50 PM   #6
guardrail
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14
do you need a new derailleur to go from 32 to 34 teeth?

speaking of - is that enough to get some additional hill climbing power?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchai
Is the derailleur leg too long for Revive's 20" wheel? I had been thinking of doing the same modification to my Revive but looking at picture of Revive21 made me relucktant to convert.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/images.../REVIVE-21.jpg
guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 04:37 PM   #7
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail
do you need a new derailleur to go from 32 to 34 teeth?

speaking of - is that enough to get some additional hill climbing power?
  1. No you won't need a new derailiuer to switch from 32 to 34 teeth as you already have a long cage derailieur I'd be more concerned if you were switching from a 25 to a 34. You may need a longer chain.
  2. Two teeth will have a bit of a differance in your hill climbing power however, aside form the Duo drive option due to the single chainring you're pretty well hosed beyond that .
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 10:08 AM   #8
guardrail
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14
I don't mind venturing into the Duo Drive but wouldn't mind finding someone who has done it




Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
  1. No you won't need a new derailiuer to switch from 32 to 34 teeth as you already have a long cage derailieur I'd be more concerned if you were switching from a 25 to a 34. You may need a longer chain.
  2. Two teeth will have a bit of a differance in your hill climbing power however, aside form the Duo drive option due to the single chainring you're pretty well hosed beyond that .
guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-04, 07:58 PM   #9
guardrail
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14
where did you find MAXXIX Hookworms in 20x1.95"
guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 07:48 PM   #10
guardrail
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14
are the MegaRange cassettes a direct replacement for the equipment already on the Revivie?
guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-04, 01:48 PM   #11
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail
are the MegaRange cassettes a direct replacement for the equipment already on the Revivie?
Yes, just be sure and get the same number of sprockets.
And rember the deraileur and chain issues that were previously addressed.

Last edited by meb; 07-05-04 at 05:58 PM.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 AM.