Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Which tire?

  1. #1
    My own worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike: Rans Fusion (semi-'bent)

    It has Primo Comet tires, 26x1.5 rear, 20x1.5 front. I also have an Easy Racers EZ1-SC that I'm preparing to sell. The previous owner put a Vittoria Aerial Kevlar 20x1.85 tire on the rear of the EZ1. I'm thinking that's a pretty nice tire, and wondering if I should put it on the front of the Rans before I sell the EZ1. The Vittoria is somewhat wider (1.85" vs. 1.5), and it's almost a true slick, whereas the Primo has some tread.

    D'you think I should run with that Vittoria on the front? Is it a better tire than the Primo? Will a front tire wider than the rear do anything squirrely with the handling?
    Last edited by madpogue; 06-15-04 at 10:43 AM.

  2. #2
    Errand Boy for my girls sukispop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Greenspeed GTO 20/20 trike, Rans Fusion(semi-recumbent bike), Burley Django recumbent, Marin Larkspur city bike
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madpogue
    Bike: Rans Fusion (semi-'bent)

    D'you think I should run with that Vittoria on the front? Is it a better tire than the Primo? Will a front tire wider than the rear do anything squirrely with the handling?
    Hi Paul,

    I'm not sure if a wider front tire(than the rear) would affect the handling of your Fusion in any negative way....anyone?

    I'm not familiar with the Vittoria Aerial Kevlar...is it a fairly common recumbent tire out where you live? I only know the Vittoria name in road bike tires, and it's a respected name. I would imagine that, if Vittoria makes good quality road tires, there's a fair probability that their bent tires are good too. The Primo Comets are good tires and roll pretty nicely, but they puncture pretty easily, imho. If you're going to run the Vittoria on your Fusion, you could run something like a Schwalbe Marathon Slick 26x1.75 or maybe even a Schwalbe Big Apple in the rear. I don't know what sizes the Big Apple is available in, but I thought someone posted here a while back asking about it in a 2" width...? But, either way, it would get your rear tire width a lot closer to the 1.85 Vittoria front.

    I'm running 1.5" Schwalbe Marathons on my Fusion front and rear(speaking of which, Rans replaced my frame and shipped it back to my LBS...and I think it's arriving today! ), and they're great tires...but I may replace them with Schwalbe Marathon Slicks after burning some miles on them to get my money's worth. I think the slicks would help improve my overall speed and lessen my rolling resistance some.

    Good luck! Let us know what you end up running! How is your Fusion these days? Take care....


    ***Geoff***
    '05 Greenspeed GT3, '04 RANS Stratus, '04 RANS Fusion

    "Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    (by John F. Kennedy, from The Quotable Cyclist)

  3. #3
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with the Primo's. I run them on my Vision R40 & have had no major problems with them.

    After the original pair wore out I switched to the Kenda Kwest for recumbents. That was not a good idea. Sure the Kenda's are wider which does make the bike more stable, but not as responsive in cornering & the Kenda's are the same psi as the Primo's, (100 psi). But the major problem with them is they have a weaker sidewall then compared to the Primo's. Both the front & rear had to be replaced this year dues to sidewall blow outs & they were not that worn, no where near needing to be replaced because of tread wear.

    Needless to say I went back tot he Primo's & am going to stay with them from now on.

    So my advice to you is stay with the Primo's. They are a tried, tested & true tire for recumbents.

  4. #4
    Errand Boy for my girls sukispop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Greenspeed GTO 20/20 trike, Rans Fusion(semi-recumbent bike), Burley Django recumbent, Marin Larkspur city bike
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    So my advice to you is stay with the Primo's. They are a tried, tested & true tire for recumbents.
    Hi N_C,

    'Sorry to hear of your poor experience with the Kenda Kwests; I've never ridden on them, but have been hearing so many sterling reports on them....

    'Just out of curiosity--are you running with the regular Primo Comets or the Primo Comet Kevlars? From what I've heard, the Comet Kevlars are just as good as the regular Comets, but are more durable and have much more puncture resistance. I would imagine that they're somewhat heavier than the regulars too.

    Since we're talkin' tires here, may I add this to the mix? Does anyone here have Schwalbe Marathon Slicks on their bents, and could comment on how they like them?

    Thanks!
    ***Geoff***
    '05 Greenspeed GT3, '04 RANS Stratus, '04 RANS Fusion

    "Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    (by John F. Kennedy, from The Quotable Cyclist)

  5. #5
    My own worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, maybe I should just get a cheapo Kenda 20x1.75 or so to put on the back of the EZ-1, and "inventory" the Kevlar, for whenever the front Primo on the Fusion wears out or gets cooked.

  6. #6
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukispop
    Hi N_C,

    'Sorry to hear of your poor experience with the Kenda Kwests; I've never ridden on them, but have been hearing so many sterling reports on them....

    'Just out of curiosity--are you running with the regular Primo Comets or the Primo Comet Kevlars? From what I've heard, the Comet Kevlars are just as good as the regular Comets, but are more durable and have much more puncture resistance. I would imagine that they're somewhat heavier than the regulars too.

    Since we're talkin' tires here, may I add this to the mix? Does anyone here have Schwalbe Marathon Slicks on their bents, and could comment on how they like them?

    Thanks!
    sukispop, I have a Primo Comet on the front, 20x1.35. The rear is a Primo Racer, 26x1.25. That is what the bike originally had when I bought it 3 years ago. Both tires are the regular type, not kevlar Like you I heard lots of good things about the Kenda's. That is why I gave them a try. The Primo's are much lighter then the Kenda's.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    sukispop, I have a Primo Comet on the front, 20x1.35. The rear is a Primo Racer, 26x1.25. That is what the bike originally had when I bought it 3 years ago. Both tires are the regular type, not kevlar Like you I heard lots of good things about the Kenda's. That is why I gave them a try. The Primo's are much lighter then the Kenda's.

    Kendas have weak sidewalls. I found that out when one of my tires blew out as I was rolling quite fast down a long hill. The tire and tube were both ruined. That's when I switched to the Primo Comets. However, I should have gotten the Primos with kevlar, as just after I put the new Comets on, I had a flat from running over a small rock. The regular Primos without the kevlar are very, very easy to puncture. Oh well, live and learn......

  8. #8
    Errand Boy for my girls sukispop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Greenspeed GTO 20/20 trike, Rans Fusion(semi-recumbent bike), Burley Django recumbent, Marin Larkspur city bike
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Beatle,

    It sounds like you and N_C shared similar experiences with the Kendas...it's one thing to get a flat...but a sidewall blowout...you're both lucky you didn't get injured when it happened. Explosive sidewall blowouts, especially if on the front tire while blasting down a hill, can rob you of control just when you need it most....

    If you like the Primo Comets, then you should like the Comet Kevlars just as much, but with the added benefit of increased puncture protection....
    ***Geoff***
    '05 Greenspeed GT3, '04 RANS Stratus, '04 RANS Fusion

    "Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    (by John F. Kennedy, from The Quotable Cyclist)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukispop
    Hi Beatle,

    It sounds like you and N_C shared similar experiences with the Kendas...it's one thing to get a flat...but a sidewall blowout...you're both lucky you didn't get injured when it happened. Explosive sidewall blowouts, especially if on the front tire while blasting down a hill, can rob you of control just when you need it most....

    If you like the Primo Comets, then you should like the Comet Kevlars just as much, but with the added benefit of increased puncture protection....


    It was lucky that I just happened to have a piece of duct tape to wrap around the rim, over the hole in the side wall, or I'd been walking home. I don't recall ever having a sidewall failure when I rode the DFs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •