Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-09, 06:20 PM   #1
misslexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
misslexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RANS Stratus XP hopes dashed, disc brakes for Sun

I'd really hoped to move from my Sun EZ Sport AX to a RANS Stratus XP this year but the economy, and my economy, says no way.

So, I don't dislike my Sun, it does put a good smile on my face to get out there. What I really, really wish is to be able to add at least a front disc brake to it.

The fork is not disc-brake-ready and from what I've heard it's really not as simple as welding a tab onto it; it really should be engineered in from the start.

I've tried contacting Therapy Components who supposedly have a conversion kit, can never get a hold of them or get a return email. And I've been told it's just really not the way to go.

Yes, there's a question in here: Is the Sun EZ Sport front fork so unique it could not be replaced by another brand that's disc-brake-ready?
misslexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 03:23 AM   #2
iconoclast
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I replaced the fork on my EZ Sport, I found there were essentially 3 things to look for.
1. Threadless or threaded headset?
2. Steering tube diameter.
3. Steering tube length.
As long as you get these correct, any fork should work.
Fork offset and fork spacing is pretty standardized these days, so you shouldn't have to worry about those.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 06:23 AM   #3
misslexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
misslexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
When I replaced the fork on my EZ Sport, I found there were essentially 3 things to look for.
1. Threadless or threaded headset?
2. Steering tube diameter.
3. Steering tube length.
As long as you get these correct, any fork should work.
Fork offset and fork spacing is pretty standardized these days, so you shouldn't have to worry about those.
Thanks, I figured Sun wouldn't go out of their way to make something special just because.

What's the best way to determine the 3 dimensions you suggested? I've done searches and come up with nothing so far, I'm guessing it will be to pull and measure.
misslexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 07:38 AM   #4
iconoclast
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I could tell you the exact measurements you need.
However, I have an EZ Sport LE and I think they changed the headset on later EZ Sport models.
1. For threadless vs threaded:
I recommend going to Sheldon Brown's Glossary - Headset.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html#headset
He has great pictures showing the difference between threadless and threaded headsets.
Basically, if where the handlebar stem goes into the headset, you have a large nut with flat sides, you have a threaded fork.
Otherwise, if you have pinch bolts instead, then you have a threadless fork.
2. For steering tube diameter:
Measure the handlebar stem going into the headset/steering tube assembly.
If it measures 7/8"(22.2mm) then you have a 1" standard size fork.
If it measures 1"(25.4mm) then you have a 1 1/8" oversized size fork.
3. For steering tube length
You can get a close measurement by measuring from the bottom of the headset to the top of the nut (threaded) or the top of the stem with the pinch bolts (threadless).
It's better to get a fork with a little longer steerer tube length, because you can always cut it to the exact length needed.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 05:51 PM   #5
AlexZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntington Beach
Bikes:
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslexi View Post
I'd really hoped to move from my Sun EZ Sport AX to a RANS Stratus XP this year but the economy, and my economy, says no way.

So, I don't dislike my Sun, it does put a good smile on my face to get out there. What I really, really wish is to be able to add at least a front disc brake to it.

The fork is not disc-brake-ready and from what I've heard it's really not as simple as welding a tab onto it; it really should be engineered in from the start.

I've tried contacting Therapy Components who supposedly have a conversion kit, can never get a hold of them or get a return email. And I've been told it's just really not the way to go.

Yes, there's a question in here: Is the Sun EZ Sport front fork so unique it could not be replaced by another brand that's disc-brake-ready?
Since the Sun is designed by the same guy who owns Easy Racers, I would just look on their site, they have forks.... Call them and talk to Gardner, he designed it and he can tell you exactly what you need !!
AlexZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 07:09 PM   #6
iconoclast
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZ View Post
Since the Sun is designed by the same guy who owns Easy Racers, I would just look on their site, they have forks.... Call them and talk to Gardner, he designed it and he can tell you exactly what you need !!
Gardner Martin passed away a couple of years ago.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 07:46 PM   #7
BKXray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sun Dealer

If you have a decent dealer, get him to order a front fork for an EZ3 AX. They came with disk brakes and should be an easy switch.
BKXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 08:02 PM   #8
PaPa
Senior Member
 
PaPa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Idaho
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKXray View Post
If you have a decent dealer, get him to order a front fork for an EZ3 AX. They came with disk brakes and should be an easy switch.
Are you sure the EZ 3 fork will fit the Sport? The EZ 3 has a 16" front wheel.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 08:06 PM   #9
PaPa
Senior Member
 
PaPa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Idaho
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslexi View Post
What I really, really wish is to be able to add at least a front disc brake to it.
Because your EZ Sport's weight distribution is rear biased, you won't see much braking improvement by adding a front disc brake. Better modulation, yes, but not much gain in raw stopping power because the lightly loaded front wheel won't tolerate heavy braking. A rear disc would prove much more effective, but IIRC, your AX is aluminum and therefor illsuited for adding a caliper mount.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 08:18 PM   #10
AlexZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntington Beach
Bikes:
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gardner may have passed on, but Easy Racer haven't and they can still answer the question....Although a disk in the back would be much more useful....
AlexZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 04:13 AM   #11
BKXray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I'm sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Are you sure the EZ 3 fork will fit the Sport? The EZ 3 has a 16" front wheel.
The EZ3 AX has a 20" front wheel, not the 16" that's on the base EZ3. I think the fork for the EZ Rider AX is also a possibility.
BKXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:36 AM   #12
misslexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
misslexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all, I'll follow up on the suggestions.

I agree a rear disc would be better but a front one seemed more approachable for now.
misslexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 07:54 AM   #13
iconoclast
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Out of curiousity, I did some google searching and at another forum I ran across a number of reviews for Therapy Components Brake Therapy Disc Brake Conversion Kit for the rear wheel.
For the most part the reviews were very good.
Also, I saw a picture of the Disc Brake Conversion Kit and it looked like a nice setup.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 09:12 AM   #14
iconoclast
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another thought.
If you thinking of disc brakes because you are unhappy with your present braking performance, a cheaper option might be to go with better brake pads.
According to Sheldon Brown, Kool Stop Mountain Salmon Brake Shoes are supposed to be one of the best performers.
Certainly, not as cool as disc brakes, but if brake performance is the issue, this might be an easier (and cheaper) solution.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 07:15 AM   #15
misslexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
misslexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Out of curiousity, I did some google searching and at another forum I ran across a number of reviews for Therapy Components Brake Therapy Disc Brake Conversion Kit for the rear wheel.
For the most part the reviews were very good.
Also, I saw a picture of the Disc Brake Conversion Kit and it looked like a nice setup.
Agreed, I called three times and sent several emails all of which remain unanswered. Which is puzzling since many of the comments about them praise their one-on-one attention. Maybe I'm going about it wrong, it's possible they've moved to a dealer-based sales model, I'll see if that's the case.
misslexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:32 AM   #16
BigTee
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Savanna, IL.
Bikes: Sun EZ sport AX Custom built
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an ez sport ax, and bought an ez speedster ax for 1 reason only, disc brakes. I really don't see all the hoopla over disc brakes any longer. Both bikes stop. Maybe the disc brakes stop a little sooner, but not enough to justify the cash outlay in my opinion. I love the speedster more for the fact that it "goes" differently, not that it "stops" differently. I personally will never again agonize over having disc or caliper brakes, just enjoy the ride.
BigTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 09:38 AM   #17
Onus
Senior Member
 
Onus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Powell, TN
Bikes: 2008 Catrike Road
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do they compare when wet? I remember on my old Schwinn DF, braking performance could be bad sometimes in wet weather. I haven't ridden my Catrike (with disk brakes) in the rain yet.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 10:33 AM   #18
misslexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
misslexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTee View Post
I have an ez sport ax, and bought an ez speedster ax for 1 reason only, disc brakes. I really don't see all the hoopla over disc brakes any longer. Both bikes stop. Maybe the disc brakes stop a little sooner, but not enough to justify the cash outlay in my opinion. I love the speedster more for the fact that it "goes" differently, not that it "stops" differently. I personally will never again agonize over having disc or caliper brakes, just enjoy the ride.
There are a couple of main reasons I'd prefer the superior braking offered by discs (I realize that subject is open to debate but I've tried them both and personally believe disc brakes are superior).

1. Many of the places I ride have long, steep hills where I can feel the wheel brakes start to fade before I get to the end, this makes me nervous: when does a fade become a fail?

2. My bent is electrified with an Ecospeed mid drive so it's heavier due to motor and battery. It also has the potential to be faster than it normally would be under me power only. More weight and potentially more speed requires better brakes.

But I agree in general with you BigTee, it's not like one sucks and the other is perfect. I just want the odds stacked in my favor as much as I can afford. For me, enjoying the ride includes feeling secure in the ability to stop quickly and reliably.
misslexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.