Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member bluemando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A recumbent for dad

    Hi all. I have three bicycles and love all of them. My parents, especially my dad, seem to be interested in (possibly) buying a recumbent. Dad is 76 years old and in great shape... he walks 8-10 miles a day, he's 6 ft. tall and weighs 160 pounds. Mom is 5' 4", is 79 years old, weighs 100 pounds and can still work harder than me when she is gardening... she'll probably live to be a hundred! Anyway, I don't know anything about recumbents, so I can't recommend anything to them. Maybe some of you will give me some good advice and recommendations, so that I can talk to them about it? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member geebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    My Bikes
    GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out www.bentrideronline.com lots of info and an active bent forum.
    Trikes might be a good idea as older bones don't bounce as well as younger ones.
    They vary from easy to sit on low performance such as EZ-3 to very low high performance tadpoles.
    Good luck
    Greenspeed GLR trike
    JC-70 trike
    Avanti Atomic Disc mtb
    Custom electric chopper

  3. #3
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,306
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee
    Check out www.bentrideronline.com lots of info and an active bent forum.
    Trikes might be a good idea as older bones don't bounce as well as younger ones.
    They vary from easy to sit on low performance such as EZ-3 to very low high performance tadpoles.
    Good luck
    Also consider a Worksman PAV3 trike for your dad. These
    trikes are made for the less-abled and older set. The quality
    is first rate and it's American made (in New York city !!).

    Check out their web site......

    www.worksman.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the EZ3....it's a goodie, girls just love it, ask me about it all the time, I'm only 62.

  5. #5
    Senior Member bluemando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all those who recommended me a recumbent for my parents. I have saved the URL's and will have dad read about EZ-3 and PAV3. Most helpful!

  6. #6
    horizontally adapted bentrox!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron
    Posts
    566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemando
    Hi all. I have three bicycles and love all of them. My parents, especially my dad, seem to be interested in (possibly) buying a recumbent. Dad is 76 years old and in great shape... he walks 8-10 miles a day, he's 6 ft. tall and weighs 160 pounds. Mom is 5' 4", is 79 years old, weighs 100 pounds and can still work harder than me when she is gardening... she'll probably live to be a hundred! Anyway, I don't know anything about recumbents, so I can't recommend anything to them. Maybe some of you will give me some good advice and recommendations, so that I can talk to them about it? Thanks!
    I ride along a 73-year-old who is very fast on his Easy Racer Ti-Rush. But then again he's also a triathlete who swims and runs regularly.
    http://www.easyracers.com/ti_rush.htm
    I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
    Good night and joy be with you all.

  7. #7
    Senior Member bluemando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrox!
    I ride along a 73-year-old who is very fast on his Easy Racer Ti-Rush. But then again he's also a triathlete who swims and runs regularly.
    http://www.easyracers.com/ti_rush.htm

    Well, dad's not the triathlon sort... He's in good shape because he's always been active; yet, he has never participated in sports of any kind, at least not as an adult. I think he can be persuaded in getting a moderately priced TRIKE of some sort... he's a thrifty kinda of guy (trikes are in the recumbent category, no? Btw, those loooooong chains look weird to me, as I'm a "bicycle person." Can they be a source of "problems"? It seems to me that a shaft drive would be the ticket for recumbents. Does such a thing exist?

  8. #8
    horizontally adapted bentrox!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron
    Posts
    566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemando
    Btw, those loooooong chains look weird to me, as I'm a "bicycle person." Can they be a source of "problems"? It seems to me that a shaft drive would be the ticket for recumbents. Does such a thing exist?
    You get used to long chains. They pose no technical problems - just more length to clean and more dollars to replace. Yes, you may find home-built shaft drive bents - I recall seeing a website about it once - but there are no manufacturers that I know of. Have you looked at front-wheel drive bents? There are a few manufacturers of these, but mostly of the lowracer variety. They have short chains but unusual gear setups.
    I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
    Good night and joy be with you all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •