Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member Onus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Powell, TN
    My Bikes
    2008 Catrike Road
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reasonable speed for a Catrike Road?

    I've only recently returned to riding after a decades-long absence. I'm really enjoying it though, so I want to ride more, perhaps with groups.
    I have a 2008 Catrike Road. On a fairly level asphalt path, 14-15MPH comes pretty easily. With effort, I can hit 20MPH, but not keep it up for more than a few minutes at a time (I'm 49/165# and still getting back in shape). I'd like to know what speed I should be able to maintain before trying to get in a more casual group, which I suspect would contain mostly roadies. I'm not looking to try a century just yet, but a 25 mile ride seems reasonable. What do you think?
    FWIW, I live near Oak Ridge, TN. There are a LOT of hills around here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with a group in cookeville, tn called the turtles and their average is only around 16-17 maybe 18 on a hard day. Your main problem is that drafting won't assist you in the least. Generally though, I would go to your local bike shop and ask of the rides that they know of and their normal speed and that should give you a general idea.

    Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention 20 MPH. Is that the group's average speed or level cruise? At age 63 on a Trice Q an average of 20 MPH with any serious hills involved would be way too fast for me (and most other riders of any bike style).

    In general, if you can cruise at 17 or 18 and are willing to work hard on hills and still be shuffled back, you will have many groups to choose from.

    For me, and this is not true of all riders, riding on three wheels drops my average a couple mph. This makes the trike very handy for riding groups that might be a bit slow. With groups that may be a challenge, I ride on two wheels.

    The only way to know about a group's speed and style is to show up and ride. If you are dropped in the first ten feet, you can ride solo. If they are no challenge, you can enjoy some conversation.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  4. #4
    Senior Member Onus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Powell, TN
    My Bikes
    2008 Catrike Road
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    19-20mph was my speed hurrying back to the car after my wife's chain broke. We weren't with a group, just riding on a nearby path. We typically cruise along at 12-14mph, which I know is too slow for most group rides. I did ask one guy in a LBS, and I think he said theirs was a group of more serious riders who maintained 17-19mph. I think I will start riding at a faster pace, at least 15mph, specifically to prepare for group rides.

  5. #5
    recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Okeechobee. Florida
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree about the lack of 'draft'... We draft the catrikes all the time. I have done 20 mph trike drafts on the trail with some others on lots of occasions. What you were meaning is that the recumbent trike can't draft a two wheeler....

    Tractor Tom in Okeechobee

  6. #6
    ain't trike ain't right
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    2 5 3
    My Bikes
    Only trikes, absolutly, positively, no 2 wheel cycles!
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onus View Post
    I've only recently returned to riding after a decades-long absence. I'm really enjoying it though, so I want to ride more, perhaps with groups.
    I have a 2008 Catrike Road. On a fairly level asphalt path, 14-15MPH comes pretty easily. With effort, I can hit 20MPH, but not keep it up for more than a few minutes at a time (I'm 49/165# and still getting back in shape). I'd like to know what speed I should be able to maintain before trying to get in a more casual group, which I suspect would contain mostly roadies. I'm not looking to try a century just yet, but a 25 mile ride seems reasonable. What do you think?
    FWIW, I live near Oak Ridge, TN. There are a LOT of hills around here.
    Personally I don't worry about speeds, just go out and have fun. 14-20mph sounds about right for 20" rear but I've had my trike up to 30mph going down steep hills, probably could have gone faster but it gets real hairy at that point There are models that will do over 50mph with a 700c rear and high end components. The Road is my personal urban assault vehicle of choice aswell. Great choice on a quality trike

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckhorn, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I ride a Catrike Road up here in Canada (where summer has yet to arrive!) I have just finished a 730 km ride over 8 days on the trike, averaging 21.2 km/h over the entire trip. There were long stretches of 16-18 mph (25 - 29 km/h) and as many frustrating "blips" on the road that would cause me to dump speed and then have to come back up to speed. But for me, it's not about speed. I was soooo comfortable and I really enjoyed the trip. At 64 years and 171 pounds, I have no trouble riding along in the middle of our various group rides. Definitely not "sportif," however. Mike

  8. #8
    ain't trike ain't right
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    2 5 3
    My Bikes
    Only trikes, absolutly, positively, no 2 wheel cycles!
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mchell View Post
    FWIW, I ride a Catrike Road up here in Canada (where summer has yet to arrive!) I have just finished a 730 km ride over 8 days on the trike, averaging 21.2 km/h over the entire trip. There were long stretches of 16-18 mph (25 - 29 km/h) and as many frustrating "blips" on the road that would cause me to dump speed and then have to come back up to speed. But for me, it's not about speed. I was soooo comfortable and I really enjoyed the trip. At 64 years and 171 pounds, I have no trouble riding along in the middle of our various group rides. Definitely not "sportif," however. Mike
    64.... your still a young buck, you have no excuses, none, no sir

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckhorn, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trike Man View Post
    64.... your still a young buck, you have no excuses, none, no sir
    Yep! Couldn't agree with you more! And the trike makes me feel so young!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •