Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    trailer to transport a tandem trike

    We want to get a trailer to transport or tandem Terra Trike, preferably one that we can put the grandkids bikes in too. When our TT is broken down, there is no room for the grandkids in the car, much less their bikes. Found a reasonably priced, lightweight one at Harbor Freight's website:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92174
    This trailer is actually 4 inches too short, but we are hoping that a friend of ours, who is a welder, will be able to modify it. We are wondering what others do to transport their tandem trikes without breaking them down. We've seen pics of some trailers just for tandem trikes, figured those must be custom made. We need one that will do OK on Interstate travel. Won't need it until spring, but thought it would be good to get some ideas now.
    TP

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    430
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look around on craigslist. You can usually find something pretty cheap.

  3. #3
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,037
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if U-Haul folks can sell you an enclosed one . . .

  4. #4
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,838
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempair View Post
    We want to get a trailer to transport or tandem Terra Trike, preferably one that we can put the grandkids bikes in too. When our TT is broken down, there is no room for the grandkids in the car, much less their bikes. Found a reasonably priced, lightweight one at Harbor Freight's website:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92174
    This trailer is actually 4 inches too short, but we are hoping that a friend of ours, who is a welder, will be able to modify it. We are wondering what others do to transport their tandem trikes without breaking them down. We've seen pics of some trailers just for tandem trikes, figured those must be custom made. We need one that will do OK on Interstate travel. Won't need it until spring, but thought it would be good to get some ideas now.
    TP
    The Harbor Freight trailers are OK, but remember that they're sprung for a load of several hundred pounds. A 60 pound trike isn't going to weigh it down much, and the trailer will want to bounce around- a lot. Removing or rearranging the leaf springs can lower the spring rate and make it more manageable, as well as adding concrete blocks (suitably secured) over the axle. A better starting point might be a kayak trailer: http://www.discount-trailers.com/por...oe-trailer.htm , since it's the right length and sprung appropriately.

    While they're pricey, the SportsRig trailers are built specifically for carrying light loads: http://www.hdtrailer.fix.net/index.php . One of my friends uses one to carry his Quest velomobile, and he's done many thousands of miles on Interstates without an issue.

    If you build something yourself, really think through how the trike is going to be held on the trailer. With all the vibration and bouncing, things will loosen up in a hurry. Anything that's bolted together should have lockwashers or nylock nuts... or both. If you use plywood decking, seal it well on the top, bottom, and edges, and use large fender washers to hold the deck to the frame.
    Last edited by Jeff Wills; 11-03-09 at 10:19 PM.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though their price is a notch or two higher than HF, you might want to look at SportsRig trailers. They pull very well with a couple kayaks aboard and at least one has been modified for a tandem trike.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Boat trailer

    Small boat trailers are a nice size for a tandem trike. Harbor Freight has this one for $300: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5002 Or a flat bed trailer will be easier to adapt than one with sides and a tailgate there is this one that folds up to store in a small space: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42709

  7. #7
    Dr.Deltron
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempair View Post
    We want to get a trailer to transport or tandem Terra Trike, preferably one that we can put the grandkids bikes in too.
    I use a Hollywood folding 3 bike rack. I can haul the tandem, the Burley trailer, the 4 kids & all our stuff IN a Honda Accord,!


  8. #8
    Wheel Builder Bent Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Washington
    My Bikes
    Bents, mountain bikes
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron View Post
    I use a Hollywood folding 3 bike rack. I can haul the tandem, the Burley trailer, the 4 kids & all our stuff IN a Honda Accord,!

    Very cool

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make bike & trike trailers. check out http://bicycletransport.webs.com
    I'm in the process of making a tandem trailer for the terratrike. Mike G

  10. #10
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,838
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gulvik View Post
    I make bike & trike trailers. check out http://bicycletransport.webs.com
    I'm in the process of making a tandem trailer for the terratrike. Mike G
    2 year old thread... darn zombies.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •