Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/)
-   -   Bike Carrier (http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/61087-bike-carrier.html)

Bop Bop 08-09-04 07:12 PM

Bike Carrier
 
I habve a number of question about buying a bike carrier. I drive a Buick Regal and need a carrier for an EZ Sport. One issue I have is the car is a lease, I've already spoken to the leasing company and as I long as whatever I mount is removeable they have no problems.

My questions are:

1. I do not know what type of vehicle I will buying/leasing next (18 months left on this one). Are there carriers which can be adapted to various vehicles?

2. Other than the size difference, what is the difference between the 1 1/4 and 2 inch hitches.

3. I would like a removeable carrier or at least one which allows the horizontial piece to fold.

4. I would like a carrier that will accomodate 2 bikes.

5. I'd like to bring the entire purchase carrier, hitch and all in for less than $200.00.

6. Do carriers come with bike tie downs? If not what type of tie down/straps, would be recommendable?

7. Do I need some type of locking device for the carrier to prevent both theft of the carrier and/or bike?

8. Will LBS install the hitch or do I have to go somewhere else? If somewhere else, where?

Thanks,

bruceha_2000 08-10-04 06:44 AM

1.) The dealer will let you install a hitch on a leased vehicle? You won't necessarily be able to move it to a new vehicle as it may not fit.
8) If so, I doubt the LBS will do it. Places like UHaul sell and install hitches, there are other places as well. Check the yellow pages under "trailer hitches".
2) Not an expert here. Probably the load they handle, but check the rack first, the one you choose may come in only 1 size.
3) Any receiver hitch style rack is removable, folding is an option.
4) Should be no problem
5) Might be hard, but again, I'm no expert
6) I think they generally do, check the mfgs' web sites
7) Yes, I think so, not a standard item

I got a Saris Bones trunk/rear rack - mounts well on the back of wagons and minivans - ie vertical rear windows. It wasn't cheap, about $140 I think. It also said it isn't for recumbants, but I saw a reference on the web of someone using one for an EZ-1. The EZ-1 is more like a "regular bike" frame than some 'bents. Maybe wouldn't work well for SWB bikes? Very adjustable for all angles with 6 "arms" 2 upper, 2 lower support arms and 2 for bikes. The bike arms have tie down straps. All the arms ride on a grooved cylinder with the 6 rack tie down straps running through it. If the inner ones are the bike arms, the can be slid inward and rolled vertical without removing the rack. Don't know how the EZ Sport will sit on the rack, the bike arms might need to be farther apart than the inside position. I found I could put my wife's EZ-1 AX Lite on with a little adjustment of the seat for balance. Of course, the seat is easily removed as well.

Zip06 08-10-04 03:30 PM

I also have the Saris Bones mounted on a Subaru Outback. This thing will mount on about anything with a trunklid or hatchback/rear door. You can mount it in about 10 very leisure minutes. A very versatile design.

Bop Bop 08-10-04 04:43 PM

Bruchea 2000 & Zip06,

Thank you for your help. I have not heard of the carrier you mentioned but I will check it out. Again, thank you for the information.

megaman 08-10-04 08:32 PM

I have an EZ Sport. Been hauling it around for two years now on a Graber hitch rack. I've learned a couple of things. First, since the EZ Sport is a heavy bike, the support arms are best farther apart. Since the bike is about 7 feet long it will catch a lot of wind and if the rack isn't extra secure the bike will rock, putting alot of pressure on the rack and possibly damaging the car. I use bungee cords with no metal showing to secure the bike. I use five of them. At first I used four of them, but that just wasn't enough. I'd talk to your LBS (the one you got your bent from) and ask them what they recommend. And IMO what ever you do, don't buy one without actually looking at the rack in person to see if it's suitable.

Bop Bop 08-11-04 06:26 AM

Megaman,

Thanks for the insight. I will definitely not make any purchase without first actually seeing what I'm buying.

bruceha_2000 08-13-04 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megaman
First, since the EZ Sport is a heavy bike, the support arms are best farther apart.

I agree, especially if it is an EZ Sport AX/LE (34#) at 85 1/2" 'wide', the bike arms should probably be on the outside. I'd have to measure, but I would guess the cylinder is about 24" wide so even with the arms outermost, there is still a lot of bike hanging off either side. You wouldn't be able to roll them down without taking the rack off, at least partially.

Quote:

And IMO what ever you do, don't buy one without actually looking at the rack in person to see if it's suitable.
And I double agree with this!!

Bruce

Dchiefransom 08-15-04 07:16 PM

If the car has a receiver hitch, you could mount a BVG/Bauer hitch rack on the back, and that should fit the EZ Sport. To shorten the bike you could always remove the front wheel and center the bike. The BVG rack clamp locks, and they have an optional anti-sway bar. This is a bar below the bikes with two "D" rings on it, which you run a web strap through the tires of the bike. This keeps the bike from swinging around.

Cycliste 08-15-04 07:48 PM

Suggestion: install a two bars roof rack from Thule or Yakima (or other brand), and buy a Delta fork mount bike carrier (see pics below - avaialble from some eBay stores and LBS). I use two of these carriers and they are great, very sturdy and secure.
Provided that you can spread the bars away enough to accomodate the length of your bike, you should be able to fit in your recumbent. This works for tandems.
Complete set, bars + carrier, I'd say ~ $100.

[IMG]http://img65.exs.cx/img65/3747/Thule...CarrierKit.gif[/IMG]

Dchiefransom 08-15-04 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cycliste
Suggestion: install a two bars roof rack from Thule or Yakima (or other brand), and buy a Delta fork mount bike carrier (see pics below - avaialble from some eBay stores and LBS). I use two of these carriers and they are great, very sturdy and secure.
Provided that you can spread the bars away enough to accomodate the length of your bike, you should be able to fit in your recumbent. This works for tandems.
Complete set, bars + carrier, I'd say ~ $100.

[IMG]http://img65.exs.cx/img65/3747/Thule...CarrierKit.gif[/IMG]


I must be losing it!!!!!!! They make roof mounts like that, but with the channel on it, that have an extension to accomodate tandems. That would be perfect for a recumbent.

Cycliste 08-16-04 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I must be losing it!!!!!!! They make roof mounts like that, but with the channel on it, that have an extension to accomodate tandems. That would be perfect for a recumbent.

This rack works for a tandem - and probably a recumbent - if the cross bars can be spread wide enough to accomodate the length of the bike (fork on front load bar and rear wheel on rear load bar). I have done it on a Volvo station wagon, it should be possible on most SUVs, not sure about sedans.

Bop Bop 08-16-04 06:17 AM

Cycliste and Dchiefransome,

Thank you for the info. You both present ideas I have not thought about. I will look both ideas.

Dchiefransom 08-17-04 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cycliste
This rack works for a tandem - and probably a recumbent - if the cross bars can be spread wide enough to accomodate the length of the bike (fork on front load bar and rear wheel on rear load bar). I have done it on a Volvo station wagon, it should be possible on most SUVs, not sure about sedans.

I'll have to check on brands. Two members in my club have tandem mounts. One has a small Toyota sedan. The tandem rack actually has a front fork mount that swivels, so you can put the fork in while the rear wheel is on the ground. Not sure if that's possible with the EZ Sport, since it's a bit shorter than a tandem. I won't see anyone until this weekend, though. Maybe I can put up a post on the club's list site, and see what response I get. The mounts have a removable channel extension for the back wheel.

Dchiefransom 08-18-04 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I'll have to check on brands. Two members in my club have tandem mounts. One has a small Toyota sedan. The tandem rack actually has a front fork mount that swivels, so you can put the fork in while the rear wheel is on the ground. Not sure if that's possible with the EZ Sport, since it's a bit shorter than a tandem. I won't see anyone until this weekend, though. Maybe I can put up a post on the club's list site, and see what response I get. The mounts have a removable channel extension for the back wheel.

I checked out the Thule website, and they have a tandem roof rack. From the prices listed, you might want to wander ito a local dealer and see what the package would cost you.

Bop Bop 08-19-04 04:52 AM

Dchiefransom,

Thank you for all help, I will check it out. I appreaciate all your work.

Ken_in_Michigan 08-19-04 07:22 PM

We use a Karacks receiver rack on our Sable and it is the easiest rack I have ever found. You can mount up to six bikes on it and can get units that will carry both recumbents and diamond frame bicycles. The Karacks is made from stainless steel and has worked flawlessly for us since be bought it in 2002. I cannot say enough good things about this American made rack. Check out Kris Hovey's site at Karacks.com you will be suprised at the quality and I have personal experience that Kris stands behind his product 100%

Bop Bop 08-20-04 06:22 AM

Ken,

Thanks for the FYI, I will check it out.

Dchiefransom 08-21-04 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bop Bop
Dchiefransom,

Thank you for all help, I will check it out. I appreaciate all your work.

No problem. Looking for cycling stuff on the Internet is work?????


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 PM.