Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-11, 05:49 PM   #1
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Price question.

Hey everyone. I might be in the market for a recumbent bike. I recently was told i have prostatitis so i might just get a recumbent instead of a regular bike.

There is a store about 30 miles away that sells alot of Bacchetta's but i havent made it there yet. I was wondering about what these things start at price wise? i am not finding much online.


thanks in advance
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 06:12 PM   #2
Steamer
Senior Member
 
Steamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: high ground
Bikes:
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
MSRPs for the various Bacchetta models are listed on the various spec pages.

For example,
http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bikes/...ce-bikes/corsa

...a Corsa is $1999
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 06:20 PM   #3
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Bikes:
Posts: 7,907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx View Post
Hey everyone. I might be in the market for a recumbent bike. I recently was told i have prostatitis so i might just get a recumbent instead of a regular bike.

There is a store about 30 miles away that sells alot of Bacchetta's but i haven't made it there yet. I was wondering about what these things start at price wise? i am not finding much online.

thanks in advance
Bacchetta sells only through dealers, so you probably won't find anyone selling them online (unless it's a used bike). This will give you some idea: http://www.tandems-recumbents.com/bacchetta.html but note that the page hasn't been updated since 2009. Volae bikes are similar and they are sold online: http://hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/sear...ategory=104700 , so that's some more info.

FWIW: test ride a few before you make your decision. There's a few recumbent riders in Iowa- seek them out and give a couple different bikes a try. No one - and I mean no one - can put you on the "perfect" bike. You'll have to work that out for yourself.

I've been in and around recumbent bikes and trikes for 30 years. I'm still figuring out the "right" one, but I like the long-wheelbase Easy Racer bikes a lot.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 07:01 PM   #4
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bacchetta has a 15% off sale this month. You can get a new Strada for around $1500. I bought a Giro this weekend.
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 09:53 PM   #5
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
MSRPs for the various Bacchetta models are listed on the various spec pages.

For example,
http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bikes/...ce-bikes/corsa

...a Corsa is $1999
got it...my bad thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
Bacchetta sells only through dealers, so you probably won't find anyone selling them online (unless it's a used bike). This will give you some idea: http://www.tandems-recumbents.com/bacchetta.html but note that the page hasn't been updated since 2009. Volae bikes are similar and they are sold online: http://hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/sear...ategory=104700 , so that's some more info.

FWIW: test ride a few before you make your decision. There's a few recumbent riders in Iowa- seek them out and give a couple different bikes a try. No one - and I mean no one - can put you on the "perfect" bike. You'll have to work that out for yourself.

I've been in and around recumbent bikes and trikes for 30 years. I'm still figuring out the "right" one, but I like the long-wheelbase Easy Racer bikes a lot.
i know a few ppl with bacchettas here in town. i will have to ride one soon. it is just an idea right now and i just wanted to get a price range. i was going to get a carbon road bike before i was told i have prostatitis. now i am kinda second guessing my plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Bacchetta has a 15% off sale this month. You can get a new Strada for around $1500. I bought a Giro this weekend.

thanks i will look into it
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 10:03 PM   #6
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Besides Bacchetta, stick bikes are also made by Volae (Tour, Club,) RANS (F5,) and if you want to go high end, Carbent. They are all variants on a theme, all with slightly different features.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 10:51 PM   #7
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Bikes:
Posts: 7,907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx View Post
i know a few ppl with bacchettas here in town. i will have to ride one soon. it is just an idea right now and i just wanted to get a price range. i was going to get a carbon road bike before i was told i have prostatitis. now i am kinda second guessing my plan.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily second-guess things: http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bikes/...arbon-aero-2.0 . The local recumbent shop owner has one of these and she likes it a bunch. She also has a Giro set up for all-weather commuting so her precious Carbon Aero isn't exposed to foul weather. (It rained over 2 inches today. Yikes!)

As I said: try to figure out what kind of bike you like first. Then figure out what you're willing to spend. That'll point you where you need to go.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 12:24 AM   #8
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for all the help guys. I think i could part with up to $2000 so i am looking at the Strata or the Corsa probably.

I will have to see what the store has. i know they have some Rans too. This is all in the early stage tho so i might change my mind.

i am just trying to get an idea from all angles and possibilities.
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 05:20 AM   #9
cranky old dude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$2000 price range could be somewhat limiting if shopping strictly for new bikes. Don't rule out the used bike market.

Once you have determined what style and size bike is right for you, shopping the used market can provide a vast array of choices. I found a used Volae Tour for only $700, and a used Tour Easy for $1400. Both bikes are in excellent condition and came with accessories. So for only $2100 I own both a good quality SWB and a good quality LWB machine.

Good hunting!
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 04:36 PM   #10
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
$2000 price range could be somewhat limiting if shopping strictly for new bikes. Don't rule out the used bike market.

Once you have determined what style and size bike is right for you, shopping the used market can provide a vast array of choices. I found a used Volae Tour for only $700, and a used Tour Easy for $1400. Both bikes are in excellent condition and came with accessories. So for only $2100 I own both a good quality SWB and a good quality LWB machine.

Good hunting!
thanks for the help. when the time comes i will look into the used market for sure.
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 05:44 PM   #11
Doug5150
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: IL-USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sun and Cycle Genius are two bent companies that have lower-priced models--"lower priced" here meaning starting at around $1000 or so.
RANS has the crank-forwards which start at around $1100 and are somewhat-uprights (not exactly recumbents). They use a extra-large seat but you'd have to test one to see if it would work for you or not.
Doug5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 06:40 PM   #12
Trikin'
Senior Member
 
Trikin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vacouver Island B.C. Canada
Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't rule out recumbent trikes, I don't know what seating you'd be most comfortable with.
I have a Catrike Trail since '09 with the mesh seat it creates a sling that's very comfortable.
You can buy used or new for under $2000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunday Aug1 2011 001.jpg (98.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Trikin'; 12-16-11 at 10:09 PM.
Trikin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 09:02 PM   #13
Cyclebum 
Senior Member
 
Cyclebum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE Tx
Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial
Posts: 2,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck with your medical issue. Fairly common thing that usually does not limit riding DFs, once cleared up. Not usually caused by riding DFs either. I do have a 75 yo buddy who is having to switch to a bent, but his prostate issues are more complicated than normal, and his doc, a cyclist, has demanded he quit DFs. Once he gets past the 'image' thing, he'll wonder why he waited so long.

I have recently switched, to a lwb Tour Easy for long distance cruising. Very sweet machine. My reasons were all comfort related.
__________________
The bicycle is one of the great inventions of mankind. Delights children, challenges young men to feats of daring, and turns old men into boys again.--Me
Cyclebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 12:10 PM   #14
VegasTriker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sin City, Nevada
Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you live in eastern Iowa, the obvious place to go to try out a large variety of recumbents is the Hostel Shoppe in Stevens Point, WI. They are the sponsor of the Midwest Recumbent Rally in mid-August. The shop has an excellent reputation among recumbent owners.

If your idea of the optimum road bike is a sub-20 pound carbon frame bike, you are probably going to be disappointed by most recumbents. In general, they are heavier than DF bikes. That's especially true for trikes. That said, I would probably be riding only a few hundred miles a year on my ancient 21 pound Motobecane LeChampion road bike instead of the several thousand I ride on my Greenspeed GTO trike.
VegasTriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 10:11 PM   #15
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikin' View Post
Don't rule out rebumbent trikes, I don't know what seating you'd be most comfortable with.
I have a Catrike Trail since '09 with the mesh seat it creates a sling that's very comfortable.
You can buy used or new for under $2000
i will look into it thanks alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclebum View Post
Good luck with your medical issue. Fairly common thing that usually does not limit riding DFs, once cleared up. Not usually caused by riding DFs either. I do have a 75 yo buddy who is having to switch to a bent, but his prostate issues are more complicated than normal, and his doc, a cyclist, has demanded he quit DFs. Once he gets past the 'image' thing, he'll wonder why he waited so long.

I have recently switched, to a lwb Tour Easy for long distance cruising. Very sweet machine. My reasons were all comfort related.
besides my medical issue i have a little bit of a comfort issue too. i think a recumbent might be a good thing to look into while i am in the market for a bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasTriker View Post
If you live in eastern Iowa, the obvious place to go to try out a large variety of recumbents is the Hostel Shoppe in Stevens Point, WI. They are the sponsor of the Midwest Recumbent Rally in mid-August. The shop has an excellent reputation among recumbent owners.

If your idea of the optimum road bike is a sub-20 pound carbon frame bike, you are probably going to be disappointed by most recumbents. In general, they are heavier than DF bikes. That's especially true for trikes. That said, I would probably be riding only a few hundred miles a year on my ancient 21 pound Motobecane LeChampion road bike instead of the several thousand I ride on my Greenspeed GTO trike.
I am right in the middle of iowa. there is a pretty big recumbent store pretty close here i just have to get some time to go there.

I rode a $400 fuji absolute 3.0 2000 miles this season since march. so i dont really own a fast bike right now. i just want to balance the quick riding with some comfort as good as i can.
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 06:12 PM   #16
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://showcase.netins.net/web/bikebarn/product.html

here is a list of the bikes the store has in my area. without looking them up i dont really know what is there. i might go there tomorrow
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 08:23 PM   #17
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
That's more 'bents than I've ever seen in a bike shop. Have fun.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 09:51 PM   #18
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
That's more 'bents than I've ever seen in a bike shop. Have fun.
it is supposed to be a pretty big store i have heard but havent been there since i was in the market for a BMX bike when i was like 12 haha
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 11:03 PM   #19
jmio
Senior Member
 
jmio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came from a 15 pound CF road bike, I bought a rans xstream and never looked back. the bike is fast as hell. climbing takes a little adjustment, spinning is key, but i never liked climbing out of the saddle anyways. on the flats I can be coasting and pedaling every few seconds and because of the stiffness and aerodynamics, cruising at 20 mph is not hard at all. It's actually relaxing riding with my DF buddies because while they are working their arses off pushing 20 mph, I'm just chilling. Much faster than my DF bike. just collecting dust now. oh and i'm much more comfy now!
jmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 11:34 PM   #20
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmio View Post
I came from a 15 pound CF road bike, I bought a rans xstream and never looked back. the bike is fast as hell. climbing takes a little adjustment, spinning is key, but i never liked climbing out of the saddle anyways. on the flats I can be coasting and pedaling every few seconds and because of the stiffness and aerodynamics, cruising at 20 mph is not hard at all. It's actually relaxing riding with my DF buddies because while they are working their arses off pushing 20 mph, I'm just chilling. Much faster than my DF bike. just collecting dust now. oh and i'm much more comfy now!
awesome. i have heard from a few ppl that once you get used to a recumbent it is just as fast or faster than regular bikes on the flats.

i average about 17-18mph over 20+ miles right now with my cheapo bike
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-11, 12:40 AM   #21
jmio
Senior Member
 
jmio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm faster at climbing now too, was never great on df, was always uncomfortable;, i'm 190 pound weight lifter and just muscle up the climbs, now i can leg press my way up on the xstream! hahaha but in all seriousness the comfort of the bent lets me go up anything and I really don't care. Before I dreaded any climbs, EVEN overpasses lol
jmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-11, 03:46 AM   #22
xxtheshockerxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xxtheshockerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmio View Post
i'm faster at climbing now too, was never great on df, was always uncomfortable;, i'm 190 pound weight lifter and just muscle up the climbs, now i can leg press my way up on the xstream! hahaha but in all seriousness the comfort of the bent lets me go up anything and I really don't care. Before I dreaded any climbs, EVEN overpasses lol
that is good to know. i was told on a bent you can use alot more of your leg muscles. didnt know if that was 100% true but i guess i can see how that could work.

i am hoping to get down to 200-205lbs soon
xxtheshockerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-11, 09:51 AM   #23
JDenman
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple simple things to help with the high level decision tree....

Once you've pedalled a recumbent 100 miles or so you'll really begin to think DF bikes are well suited for trails, and recubments are far move enjoyable on paved roads. Recumbents take some different techniques and that may take 1000 miles or so to really learn; you'll figure out 90% in the first 100 miles.

As far as trike vrs bike there is a really simple way to tell. Given the option of riding a Honda Goldwing or driving a Corvette for a 3 hour backroad tour which would you choose?

If you chose the Goldwing look at a bike.
If you chose the Corvette look at a trike.

If you chose the trike you still have a few things to consider. Short rides under 5 miles or longer rides?

Delta Trikes with two wheels in the rear can carry groceries, are easier to mount, and generally heavier then tadpoles. Generally a smoother ride more of a luxury ride then a sports ride.

Tadpole trikes with two wheels in front have a limited luggage capacity and are great for longer rides >5 miles, and most handle very well. Maximum fun.

Lots of really great bikes. Not only what you read here, google for reviews. You can't really go wrong if you do a little research.
JDenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-11, 12:12 PM   #24
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx View Post
awesome. i have heard from a few ppl that once you get used to a recumbent it is just as fast or faster than regular bikes on the flats.

i average about 17-18mph over 20+ miles right now with my cheapo bike
My fastest-ever century on an upright was 18 mph, drafting the whole way. My fastest century on a recumbent has been 23 mph, almost entirely solo. Granted, not all recumbents can do that, but I bet a good highracer could.

Trikes have their strong points, but I have found that trikes are universally 2-3 mph slower than 2-wheelers of comparable quality. Come to think of it, a trike's major strong point is the ability to go slow.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-11, 12:47 PM   #25
jmio
Senior Member
 
jmio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, rolling resistance of the trike is a lot more than a two wheeler. Trike owners are super proud and rage about comfort and ease of climbing,. (not having to worry about falling over) That was my fear initially on the xstream, but i just get the spin going and I can cruise up the climbs. I like the looks of the catrike 700, but i dunno how fast it would be compared to my xstream.
jmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 PM.