Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ms.
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Local Terra trike Rover 8 speed for sale...is this a good deal?

    Local..says its about 1 1/2 years old. Owner want $700...down from $850. Its the 8 speed model. She says she bought it new at $1300...The web site says the 8 speeds start at $995 but maybe after shipping it would be more. Anyway...Is this a good deal? I have been interested in one. They just LOOK like they would be fun to ride.

    Feed back would be great. At the $700 used price do better model come on the market often?

  2. #2
    I am the Snail~! Peter_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Near Akron, Ohio
    My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Posts
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, feel free to ask me whatever you want? I too am a Rover owner. I've had mine for a year now. If there wasn't a dealer close by, the Rover would have cost $899.00 plus $149 for shipping. Now they are $995.00 plus $189 for shipping. Perhaps she added some stuff to her Rover? Better tires? Fenders? Water bottle holder? Etc...

    I weighted 360lbs when I bought mine. My only issue is due to my health issues, and having hills around me, the stock gearing on the 8-speed was not low enough for me. By changing out the front sprocket, I've lowered the entire gear range.

    It is like riding a rolling lawn chair for comfort. Zero pain created by the trike. I've had some 8-13hr riding days (I am slow), and enjoyed every minute of those days - on my upright bike I was only good for about 20 miles without pain.

    Things to think about??

    How will you transport your trike? Mine rides in the back of my Tucson fine.

    Do you ride by yourself, or with groups of bike riders? On a trike, you will be 2-3mph slower than you are on a bike - but most trike riders do not care due to both the comfort level and the fact that they can see more stuff around them - since you do not have to worry about balance any longer, you can focus more on the scenery. You can go as slow as you like up hills - pause when you like, and continue on. You always have a comfy chair when you stop for a break too.

    You can even pay a fee to transfer the lifetime frame warranty if you so chose.

    For me, the change from bike to trike was the best choice I had made in a long time. I plan to ride the Gap this summer on mine. Good luck to you~!
    Peter_C
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/ <-- My Photos

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ms.
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a PM from Rich in Las Vegas...however I can not respond because I do not have enough posts yet.??? Anyway please see below Rich...

    Hi Rich,
    Glad to see your in Vegas. I plan to relocate there in the spring. I am self employed and just love the area so here I come.
    I am 5'-10 and about 185 lbs and have no special needs...they just LOOK like they would be a BLAST to ride. I just bought a 2011 Trek Madone 4.7 as my road bike. Haven't really put much seat time in yet as the weather has been bad.
    I would prefer a different model I know. More gears and at least a 26" rear wheel but don't want to spend a ton as I just dropped $2300 on my Madone and about $600 on my son's mountain bike.
    Do they show up on the used market in your area regularly? Maybe I should wait until after my move as they are RARE in the southeast.

    Thanks, dean

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ms.
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
    Hello, feel free to ask me whatever you want? I too am a Rover owner. I've had mine for a year now. If there wasn't a dealer close by, the Rover would have cost $899.00 plus $149 for shipping. Now they are $995.00 plus $189 for shipping. Perhaps she added some stuff to her Rover? Better tires? Fenders? Water bottle holder? Etc...

    I weighted 360lbs when I bought mine. My only issue is due to my health issues, and having hills around me, the stock gearing on the 8-speed was not low enough for me. By changing out the front sprocket, I've lowered the entire gear range.

    It is like riding a rolling lawn chair for comfort. Zero pain created by the trike. I've had some 8-13hr riding days (I am slow), and enjoyed every minute of those days - on my upright bike I was only good for about 20 miles without pain.

    Things to think about??

    How will you transport your trike? Mine rides in the back of my Tucson fine.

    Do you ride by yourself, or with groups of bike riders? On a trike, you will be 2-3mph slower than you are on a bike - but most trike riders do not care due to both the comfort level and the fact that they can see more stuff around them - since you do not have to worry about balance any longer, you can focus more on the scenery. You can go as slow as you like up hills - pause when you like, and continue on. You always have a comfy chair when you stop for a break too.

    You can even pay a fee to transfer the lifetime frame warranty if you so chose.

    For me, the change from bike to trike was the best choice I had made in a long time. I plan to ride the Gap this summer on mine. Good luck to you~!

    Thanks Pete for your responce. Lots of good info there. My needs do not require a trike...they just LOOK like a ton of fun to ride. I'm sure I will end up with one one day.

    Dean

  5. #5
    Non sibi sed patriae thestoutdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North Ridgeville, OH
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden Peter_C's Rover and I can confirm that it was a blast to ride. Go get one if you need one or think you want one.
    2013 Health Goals

    Walk 1,200 miles
    Bike More
    Hike More
    Move More
    Eat Less.



    http://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog

  6. #6
    I am the Snail~! Peter_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Near Akron, Ohio
    My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Posts
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's too dang cold to ride and enjoy myself... when will it get warm here again?
    Peter_C
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/ <-- My Photos

  7. #7
    Senior Member PaPa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean_Fuller View Post
    Local..says its about 1 1/2 years old. Owner want $700...down from $850. Its the 8 speed model. She says she bought it new at $1300...The web site says the 8 speeds start at $995 but maybe after shipping it would be more. Anyway...Is this a good deal? I have been interested in one. They just LOOK like they would be fun to ride.

    Feed back would be great. At the $700 used price do better model come on the market often?
    Just a 'heads up'. The Terratrike Rover 8 and the Terratrike Path 8 use the Sturmey Archer X-RF8(W) IGH. There's been a number of verified failures with this hub reported. So I would strongly urge an extensive test ride before any $ exchanges hands.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ms.
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will keep looking for a trike with more gears and a 26" rear wheel for added speed.
    I know it will be more money but I think like my DF bike...I won't have the "upgrade" bug for awhile.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,093
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
    It's too dang cold to ride and enjoy myself... when will it get warm here again?

    I think about May, would be a good guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •