So I tried some bents for the first time today. Picking are slim here in DFW but I went for an hour drive to Richardson and Plano to try what I could.
1. Tried a catrike road. Fun, fast, and easy as hell to ride. So far my most enjoyable trip on a bent. But how the hell do you transport two if I buy this, cause my wife wants one too! (or at least the pocket model)
2. Tried a lightning p-38. Took about 5 minutes before I could begin to pedial. Something of a learning curve - felt like my first time on a bike ever. Did not like the handlebars, nor did I like the tiny front wheel, which seemed to sharpen how fast the bike turned.
3. Bachetta Corsa. Did not like the carbon fiber seat, did not like the fact that my knees were coming above the handlebars. Made it feel like the ONLY way I could steer would be to lean, because the handlebars don't move past my legs. Which means I'd never be able to do any decent turning.
4. Easyracers tour easy. Easy to ride, definately. Enjoy this type of seat much more, but it basically felt like the bastard child of a bike and a lawn chair. NO "Cool" Factor.
So what's all this mean? At the moment, I'm thinking it means I'm getting a catrike, but What I know for sure:
1: Needs to be a SWB with equal sized wheels. The 16" front wheel turned too sharply for my taste.
2. Think I need under seat steering (is that what USS stands for?) Handlebars seem to get in my way.
3. I really want to ride an optima baron and a couple actionbents and a hp velotecnik grasshopper and a greenspeed folind trike. Those all seem ideal for the kind of riding I want to do. Anybody near me have one of these?
umm, that's it for the moment - my brain is fried. That is all